The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2013, 09:28 AM   #1
copabeat

Mossberg model 42 Bolt disassembly help

http://http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Copabeat/media/IMAG0399_zps7888d839.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/IMG

I have a Wards Western Field 22 Bolt rifle (Same as a Mossberg model 42) I am trying to disassemble the portion of the bolt as seen in the picture. (Which I hope uploaded correctly) I want to replace the spring and clean and polish it better. Problem is I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
If anyone can help me with some guidance, I would appreciate it so much.
Old April 14, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
g.willikers

The link doesn't work, says site is blocked.
But if this Mossberg works like others, the section with the bolt handle unscrews from the rear mainspring section.
Old April 14, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
copabeat

Thanks G.willikers. I don't seem to know how to properly post a picture. If you paste the link in to the brower it will lead you to the picture. What you said makes sense though. I guess it is so gummed up it doesn't want to cooperate. I have it soaking in Kroil now. I'll give it a try, thanks so much for your help.
Old April 15, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
copabeat

Got it!

Okay, after soaking the part in Kroil overnight and cleaning her up with "Simple green". I was able to get that portion of the bolt apart. It just screwed off from the rear after placing it in a vise. (Which was what I thought, but it wasn't budging one bit) Good thing I did too, the spring was very weak compared to the replacement, and it was totally gummed up. Reassembled polished everything up and now the bolt is operating as it should be. Thanks!