The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 9, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
BLS700

pull weight for a varmint gun

For those of you that change em from stock what trigger pull do you like? I'm about to do my first trigger job and was curious what you all like. Varmint only
Old October 10, 2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Scorch

2.5 lbs. Any less is dangerous in the field.
Old October 10, 2009, 02:47 AM   #3
Kiwi Hunter

My steyr varmit rig goes 2.5lbs direct and 2oz on the set trigger (actually the gauge was struggling to get a reading..)

Which trigger are you adjusting? I have first hand seen some horribly dangerous "accidental discharge when closing bolt / handling rifle type" trigger jobs and all were under the 2lb mark. A nice clean let off is probably more important than going "super light"
Old October 10, 2009, 02:51 AM   #4
hoytinak

I like mine nice and smooth and anywhere from 2 to 2.5lbs.
Old October 10, 2009, 04:25 AM   #5
butta9999

My mates swift is at 2lb, and its fantastic.

I have shot a hairpin trigger once at the range. It was a .257 weatherby mag. Didnt like it at all, and way too dangerous in the field.
Old October 10, 2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I try to set up all my rifles for a trigger pull just under three pounds. The quality of the sear engagement is important, which is one reason I prefer the Canjar. It's more like the proverbial "snaps like a glass rod" than the Timney.
Old October 10, 2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Daryl

I like about 2.5-3 lbs. For me, that's just about right for most hunting, and calling coyotes is no exception.

That said, my CZ 527 has a single set trigger that I can push forward to give me a trigger that would be measures in a few ounces. It's mighty nice for the occasional long shot where more precision is needed. I could almost blow on it and trip it. The "normal" trigger on it is set at about 2 1/2 lbs.

Daryl
Old October 10, 2009, 09:24 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My varmint gun is set at 13 ounces.

There's no such thing as a "dangerous" trigger weight unless the trigger does not reliably hold. My trigger holds solid with considerable impact from any angle. If you follow the rules of gun safety then you will never touch the trigger until you're ready to shoot so the pull weight has no effect on safety. If you're not used to the trigger then it MIGHT go "BANG!" before you're really ready but it would still be in the general direction of the target so it's not "dangerous".

Mine is a Jard trigger on a Ruger MkII, I paid $79.99 I think. Every bit as good as the Timney that my uncle has on his Remington.
Old October 10, 2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Rangefinder

I'm right with peetzakilla on this one. You aren't stalking dangerous prey through rugged terrain----You're laying on a pad popping prairie dogs (and the like. I like my varmint rifle to be nearly touch-sensative, in that the moment I think about the squeeze, the round is alreay gone. I'm set at about 9-10oz.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 10, 2009, 01:44 PM   #10
BLS700

I got a 1.5 to 2 trigger spring. Its for a thompson prohunter so I have to cock the hammer for it to fire. As pointed out I'll be laying on the ground to fire. I wanted to go as light as I felt comfortable with as far as being safe.
Old October 10, 2009, 01:47 PM   #11
cornbush

my remington is set at 28 ounces, works great
Old October 10, 2009, 01:54 PM   #12
hardluk1

2lb timmey trigger on my rifle
Old October 10, 2009, 02:36 PM   #13
bob kk

Bought a Win 243 bull barrel years ago. It had a trigger
pull in the ounces. It was safe but I didn't like it. Was to
easy to shoot before I meant to. Set it at a little over
2 lb. Smothe trigger is better than light.
Old October 10, 2009, 02:44 PM   #14
BurkGlocker

I personally like a 2.5lbs trigger, but I have a buddy that likes his at 6 oz. but alot of his shots are over 400 yards and I guess he likes the light trigger for accuracy. I dont trust anything lighter than 2 lbs. no matter what rifle it is.
Old October 10, 2009, 02:52 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to hear the rationale behind the belief that triggers under 2lbs are "dangerous".

My 13oz trigger will not release no matter how hard I slam the bolt shut. I've tried. I can close the bolt with enough force that I'm afraid of damaging the gun if I try any harder, and the trigger holds. At 13 ounces it will not go off if I release the safety and shake the gun HARD in any direction. With the safety off, it will not go off if I bump the butt with CONSIDERABLE force. The safety itself is BETTER than it was with the stock trigger.

I think people are confusing a functional, properly fitted, low weight trigger with a crap, improperly installed, low weight trigger.
Old October 10, 2009, 03:20 PM   #16
.300 Weatherby Mag

For a something I'm going to carry 2.5 pounds is what I prefer... If it's a heavy gun that will be used in a stationary setup for ground squirrels and praire dogs then something lighter is fine.
Old October 10, 2009, 03:41 PM   #17
ZeroJunk

My question is do you think you will miss something at a crisp 2 1/2 pounds that you would have hit with a lighter pull?
Old October 10, 2009, 03:45 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A light trigger garners the title of "dangerous" if it is going to be carried loaded, possibly jostled hard enuff or gloved fingers inserted in the guard so that a round can be accidentally discharged...
Brent
Old October 10, 2009, 03:46 PM   #19
BLS700

Yeah I'm a little surprised at how many feel unsafe with it. I can see that for off hand shots but not supported to me at least its really what the shooter is comfortable and safe with I think.
Old October 10, 2009, 04:57 PM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroJunk
My question is do you think you will miss something at a crisp 2 1/2 pounds that you would have hit with a lighter pull?

Bench rest triggers are frequently 8 ounces, maybe less. If it's not better then why do they do it?

To answer your question, yes, possibly. A deer at 100 yards? No, a 3lb trigger is just fine. A prairie dog, or woodchuck in my case, at 350, 400 yards some guys 600, 800 or a 1000? Yes, you might cause enough excess motion in the gun with a 2 1/2 pound trigger to miss. After all, your target might be 2 MOA or less wide at 400 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogdogs
A light trigger garners the title of "dangerous" if it is going to be carried loaded, possibly jostled hard enuff or gloved fingers inserted in the guard so that a round can be accidentally discharged...
That may be, but that's the user that's dangerous, not the trigger. In that case a heavier trigger is a safety blanket, a necessity of user incompetence, not a true safety hazard. The weight of my trigger has ZERO effect on the safety function. Unless something breaks then my gun CAN NOT fire with the safety engaged. Walking around with the safety off and/or putting your finger inside the trigger guard are USER safety violations, not equipment safety violations.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 10, 2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old October 10, 2009, 05:11 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
That may be, but that's the user that's dangerous, not the trigger. In that case a heavier trigger is a safety blanket
While I agree with you 100% I was just answering the question you posed.
I personally have all of my experience with fairly heavy factory trigger systems that have never had a set of stones taken to them to even smooth the feel.
I have fired a couple light triggers in controlled range settings and I am not comfortable in the camp of folks that like the "If it don't surprise you when it goes off, the trigger is too heavy..." mantra.
I have learned to acclimate my shooting to the ruff heavy trigger. I do not take long range shots but I do admit I "pull" my fair share of shots and can usually call it before the bullet impacts or misses...
Brent
Old October 10, 2009, 05:18 PM   #22
BLS700

I can see the gloved hand issue. However if you follow gun safety it should still be aimed in a safe direction. I realize that could cause an inadvertent shot fired. It should still be aimed at the target too. I get really nervous when I see fingers on triggers not pointed at a target with any trigger weight.
Old October 10, 2009, 05:20 PM   #23
BLS700

Personally I feel I shoot best with the lightest trigger I can control which for me is about 2 lbs. If this was a carryy gun I'd go 3
Old October 10, 2009, 05:30 PM   #24
ZeroJunk

Quote:
Bench rest triggers are frequently 8 ounces, maybe less
They may not even be holding the rifle which I would think is a different deal than varmint hunting.

A heavier trigger pull is inherently safer. It is totally illogical to say otherwise.

But, a lighter pull may be perfectly safe for some provided they don't break any rules in the excitement and improve their results.
Old October 10, 2009, 06:41 PM   #25
BLS700

I totally agree that a heavier trigger is safer but I think users make lighter triggers unsafe not the weight itself necessarily. That doesn't mean lightest is best. Too light for me means possibly less control.