The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
zincwarrior

Any downside to this shotgun for HD and weekend competition?

I am looking at this shotgun for home defense and tactical shooting competition.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/47809

I currently shoot IDPA. After matches they run a shotgun round for those who bring them. I was thinking of acquiring this wad thrower for such, and secondarily for HD (and of course zombie rabbits). Not looking to spend more than $500, and its mostly for nonserious weekend fun with a HD option.

However, my experience in shotguns is limited to occasionally clay shooting, so I don't understand the intracies of this type of shooting and what is best in the way of your weapon. Is this a good shotgun for such vs. a Mossberg like this, that I've seen more of?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411551209
Old March 21, 2013, 03:41 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

The only downside to either, it seems, is that they are out of stock - at least at Bud's.

This is just me, but I have never understood the reasoning behind folks who want to scrunch up on a shotgun stock that is way too short for them by getting a youth stock. I do not want my thumb to be recoiling into my nose with such a short stock. I realize a lot of new folks 'main exposure was to a M4 with shirt stock, but in action games where either you or the target is moving, you want to point the gun and that means it has to fit.

As to the functionality of either - one has a larger mag capacity, the other a short stock, otherwise they are the same gun
Old March 21, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
zincwarrior

Yes indeed, out for the moment.

Does the Persuader have a short stock? It didn't appear that way to me (even though one says short stock they both appear the same to me).

Good point on the short stock! I have an 870 wingmaster and thats definitely not a short stock. Are there other things I should be looking for?
Old March 21, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For $249-259 you can get the one with 28 inch barrel and wood (walnut colored birch) at walmart... the 18 inch barrel is under $100... At that point you could sell the long barrel to recoup some bucks or keep it for the versatility...

The 8 shot version is severely limited as barrel selection is mainly geared to the 5+1 common version...

But if you like cheap soft plastic toyish tupperware furniture... the ones you linked to are ideal...

Me??? If i want BLACK I can paint wood to be black
Brent
Old March 21, 2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Waspinator

Do you have any Cabela's near your location?

They have a pretty decent Mossberg 500 Home defense/Field Combo. It comes with a smooth-bore 18.5" heavy breacher-barrel (Cabela's website says 20", but it is 18.5") and a 28" ribbed field barrel w/ 3 different screw-in chokes (with choke tool). I picked it up, on sale, in early December for $349. (go to Cabela's site and look under "Pump Shotguns" and then under "Mossberg Tactical Shotguns")

Here is mine (added a tri-rail and light)

Only thing I didn't like about it was, and something you should keep in mind when looking at Mossberg 500's.... a lot of their newer models use the Maverick 88 style pinned forend (if you look above, you can see the pin going through the forend) . Although perfectly functional, it poses a problem if you want to change the forend, as the pinned forend is one piece with the action bars. So, keep that in mind when shopping for a 500 and ask, or look for yourself, if in person, if it has a pinned forend or an actual action-tube/slide-bar configuration (if that bothers you).

I ended up upgrading the stock and forend to a Hogue over-molded set and it required me to purchase a separate action slide tube assembly (Promag #PM194 for $40). Added money, but when considering I got the nice breacher barrel and a nice ribbed barrel with chokes for not much money, I'm happy with it.

here it is as it stands now . If you look close you can see the nut in front of the forend that attaches to the metal action tube.

Mossberg also has several other combos that come in various configurations .. but some of them have a fixed-choke long barrel. So, I like the Cabela's version the best (and the breacher barrel is pretty bad-$%# :P )
Old March 22, 2013, 06:13 AM   #6
zincwarrior

Thanks guys!
Old March 22, 2013, 06:46 AM   #7
LSnSC

First, see what rules they are using. If its an IDPA Defensive Multi Gun match, there are a number of equipment restictions on shotguns

IMO, the less "bling" on a competiton shotgun the better. A plain Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Winchester 1300, or Benelli Nova with a 22-24" vent ribbed barrel with changeable chokes will make a very good competition/ self defense shotgun.

My two competition pump guns are a Remington 870 with a 21" vent ribbed Rem Choked barrel and a Benelli Nova with a 24" vent ribbed Mobil choked barrel. I added a 4 shot extensions and opened and smoothed the load ports to make it easier to reload on the clock.

Also, a cylinder bore is worthless for knocking down plates or poppers with birdshot beyond 10 yards. I feel for the guys that bring their tacticool shotguns to a match only to time out or run out of ammo because their gun has no choke and wont budge a pepper popper at 15 yds.