The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 19, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Arocholl

Over/Under Choke Setup for Skeet

The other week I bought a beautiful brand new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363698552.297740.jpg

This is my first over/under and I am looking for advice on choke setup. I have shot skeet with an o/u before but I do not know what chokes were in it.

Also what are everyone's thoughts on extended choke tubes and pattern consistency?
Old March 19, 2013, 10:23 AM   #2
charlie in md

Either Skeet/Skeet or Cylinder/Cylinder. Targets are all shot within 25 yards.

If you end up trying doubles at all stations, you may want to go with a Cylinder/Skeet setup.

I currently use an autoloader with a cylinder (.000 restriction) choke, and patterns seem very uniform.

The extension's main purpose is to make it easier to change chokes when you're shooting a game like sporting clays.

No doubt you've seen all kinds of claims about what a certain choke brand can do, but most of it is just advertising. Use the most open chokes you have, practice the basics, and you'll do fine.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
BigD_in_FL

When I shot skeet, (before moving over to the dark side called sporting clays), I used .005 in each barrel. That is the standard for a skeet choke designation.

You will want to check your load that you will using with your choice of choke against the pattern board to determine what the actual results will be
Old March 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Slugo

I also just recently purchased a new 32" SP1. Use the Cylinder choke in the bottom barrel (shoot first) and the Skeet choke in the top barrel. There, wasn't that easy!!
Old March 19, 2013, 11:53 AM   #5
BigJimP

I shoot Skeet / Skeet in my O/U's for skeet...regardless of gague ( 12, 20, 28 or .410 )...and regardless of the shell ....but for 12ga I primarily shoot 1 oz of 8's ( my do everything shell in a 12ga ) .....for 20ga 3/4 oz of 8's ....and in 28ga 3/4 oz of 9's...and 1/2oz of 9's in .410...

If I shoot doubles in skeet on stations 3, 4 and 5 ( for practice / or like in a shoot-off ) ...I still shoot Skeet and Skeet for chokes / some guys will go with Skeet in bottom barrel and Imp Cyclinder on upper barrel for 2nd shot...but I don't really think its an issue.

I use extended chokes on all of my O/U's ....but in my opinion, it has nothing to do with the pattern or range of the target...I use extended chokes because they're easier to identify what I have in the gun and a little quicker to change.

But like others said a standard Skeet choke should be about 0.005 tighter than your barrel ...but it depends on the choke and the barrel...
Old March 19, 2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Arocholl

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. I've heard all the hype and figured that's pretty much what it is.

I think I'll start out cylinder in the bottom and skeet in the top spend the rest of my time and money on lots of shells and birds
Old March 19, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Virginian

If you hit the lottery and decide to join the Mueller Mafia please don't tell us.
What some people pay for a choke tube amazes me.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Mullers aren't even close to the K-80 titanium ones........
Old March 19, 2013, 07:16 PM   #9
dalecooper51

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the help everyone. I've heard all the hype and figured that's pretty much what it is.

I think I'll start out cylinder in the bottom and skeet in the top spend the rest of my time and money on lots of shells and birds
Not that it really matters all that much.

If using Skeet and Cylinder chokes, I would put the skeet choke in the bottom and cylinder in your upper barrel. The second shot in the doubles is always the closer target and benefits more from the cylinder choke.
Old March 20, 2013, 01:43 AM   #10
.300 Weatherby Mag

I use skeet/skeet...

Quote:
Mullers aren't even close to the K-80 titanium ones........
They aren't on the same planet are Perazzi chokes either.... Even the Briley Titanium chokes are more expensive than the Mullers..

I guess everything is relative... $80+ chokes for a $5,000+ gun doesn't seem all that expensive..
Old March 20, 2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Jim Watson

Agree with dalecooper. Your first shot on doubles is the outgoing target, the second on the incoming target. Once upon a time, Remington marked the Model 32 Skeet gun with Skeet Out and Skeet In. In those days, Skeet Out was pretty near light modified.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Arocholl

That's a good point that I didn't think of dalecooper. I was used to shooting clays with a Remington 870 so I had to pick a choke and stick with it.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:15 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

If you REALLY think .005 will make that much of a difference at 21 yards, go ahead but do NOT overthink chokes
Old March 21, 2013, 02:43 PM   #14
zippy13

I concur with BigDinFL, there isn't really much choke difference with Skeet targets broken at 21-yards, or less. My primary and back-up Skeet P-guns both have fixed S/S chokes. However, with new shooters they are likely to ride their targets and take them near the out-of-bounds stake. The high-two target may be quite a chase for some newbies. With these longer shots you may want a more choke than cylinder.

On a some squads, if you shoot late, you may hear remarks like: "If you're going to ride your targets, you should be wearing spurs."
When the lead looks good, shoot -- it ain't gonna get any better.