The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Captain H

Wood Grip question for Beretta 92fs

I've been on the lookout for wood grips that don't add girth to my 92FS and haven't had much luck. I have a set of the nice Beretta walnut with medallions., but they REALLY add width to the grip. I tried Herrets and they to added much more width to the pistol as compared to the original plastic. I hate to sink more money on another manufacturer just to find out they are also too thick. How thin are the Hogue Beretta 92FS grips compared to the factory plastic ones? Also, how thin are the Altamont laminate wood grips compared to the plastic originals? Is there a recomendation of another manufacturer?

I appreciate any help.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Stringfellow

The rubber Hogues are about the same thickness, but have a different shape that really feels different in the hand (more flattened out, vs. the stock grips being more round).

I have big hands yet find the 92's thickness to be my only real complaint. I think Beretta was trying to create a pistol reminiscent of revolver grips--but it just doesn't work for me

I bought a pair of Hogue NYLON (hard plastic) grips as well, and found that they are pretty easy to sand down and contour to the necessary shape and thickness (subject to the screws of course). I did it with mine, and with some stippling afterwards, they look and feel pretty good. You can usually find them for barely over $10. Good luck!
Old October 23, 2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Mosin44az

I had this problem also and ultimately decided to sell my 92s because I could never get used to the fat grip and the long DA pull.

I did try a pair of aluminum grips which looked nice and were pretty thin, but the 92 was still a pretty fat boy.

I suggest Googling "thin Beretta 92 grips" or checking over on a Beretta forum for more info. There are European manufacturers that advertise thin 92 grips, and some makers list info on how wide their grips are.
Old October 23, 2012, 04:31 AM   #4
dayman

you're probably going to have a hard time finding grips that are both as thin as you want and wood. There's only so thin you can go with wood before it becomes really flimsy. Plastics or metal can be made a lot thinner while remaining durable.
You could try finding a cheap set of wood grips and sanding them down, but just be aware the thinner you go the more likely the are to split when you use them.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:38 AM   #5
TailGator

Quote:
There's only so thin you can go with wood before it becomes really flimsy. Plastics or metal can be made a lot thinner while remaining durable.
I think that is the ultimate answer to your problem. Aluminum grips are commonly said to be the thinnest available, but I sure understand your aesthetic attraction to nice wood grips.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Captain H

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I don't think the 92 grip is too big with the factory plastic grips, just the aftermarket wooden ones that I have tried. I have just ordered some thin "Classic Panel Low Profile Checkered Super Walnut" grips for it from Altamont as seen below:

In the center on the second row down
http://www.altamontco.com/experiment...eretta_92F.php

If these don't satasfy me, I think I will look into to G10 from VZgrips and give up on wood.
Old October 28, 2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Captain H

Well, I gave up on wood grips for it. I decided to go with VZ G10 grips. I went to Houston gunshow this weekend and found a vendor selling a couple. Both were the golfball pattern and he had silverblack and olive green. I went with the silverblack. These grips are as slim or maybe a tiny bit slimmer than the factory plastic and they grip very nicely. I think they contour alittle better than the plastic ones also. I am very happy with them.

Old October 28, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Sharpsdressed Man

Esmeraldas are a little thicker, but you get used to them after awhile. [IMG][/IMG]
Old October 28, 2012, 09:04 PM   #9
hermanpj

did you look at the Beretta rosewood grips? i have a pair of those and did not notice they were thicker than the plastic. $79 bucks i think. Has thd PB medalliion on one side, and the Beretta symbol on the other. checkered. good grips.
NRA Member|Texas State Rifle Association Member| Texas Concealed Handgun License holder|Springfield M1A Loaded|Kimber Super Carry Pro .45 ACP|Weatherby SA 459 12 ga|Black Rain+Adams Arms Piston AR15|Beretta 92FS| CZ Dan Wesson ECO 9MM| Ruger 10/22
Old October 28, 2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Captain H

I have the Walnut checkered Beretta grips w/medallions as sold on their website and had them on my pistol for four years. They are thicker than I like, look fantastic though. I used to joke to friends that it makes my 92fs feel like I'm holding the wrong end of a baseball bat

After a few years went by, I was at a gunshop and handled a NIB 92 with factory plastic and it felt so much better (night and day better). So here I am.

Six years ago I went thru this with my Sig 226 to no avail.

These VZ grips are very nice. Although not wood, they do have an eligant quality to them. The 92FS is a very tactical looking pistol IMO so they look very good on it. I actually like the factory plastic on a black 92FS. They just look wrong on an INOX/stainless.

The Esmerelda grips sure are nice, but that would be alot of cash to gamble with if it arrives and I don't like the feel.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Mosin44az

Those G10s look great!