The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 17, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1
ftballgod

night sights or laser grips for my LCR ?

i just got a LCR for my soon to be CC gun. i like the gun, but i am thinking it needs one upgrade. the black sights work good in daylight. but i would like something that also works great in the not-so-light situations. i am not really a laser fan (not sure why) so i was leaning towards night sights. but i figured would throw it out there to see what you guys think.
Old July 18, 2011, 12:00 AM   #2
SadistAssassin

Just my opinion but I'd go with night (tritium) sights.....shooting with a laser sight may make one dependent on it. Also you will never know when your laser's batteries may fail.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:30 AM   #3
fdreano

I have laser grips on all my weapons...mainly due to 60 year old eyesight and astigmatism. Its easier for me to put the red dot on something a distance away than focus on the front sight (I know..pretty bad) while also having the target in the sight picture. In strong daylight with enough concentration I can use regular sites decently.

Swapping in fresh batteries every year or so and occasional testing satisfies my needs and Crimson Trace was offering "batteries for life" at one point.
Old July 18, 2011, 07:24 AM   #4
*NOVA*

Tritium sites are your more practical option. But there's things I like and don't like about lasers-
I have Crimson trace grips on two of my revolvers. First thing you notice is you'll have to give up your the original grip and if you like the feel of it you'll definitely notice a difference with the CT grips (not that they are bad, just different). And you are right - you can become dependant on them, which is why I often turn them off at the range just so I can get back to basics on aimed fire technique. What I like about laser is its a great real time indicater of how steady your aim is at the range, especially revealing when you switch to weak hand firing practice. Also reveals what happens when you squeeze the trigger. Finally, if you envision a scenario where you are taking cover in a self defense situation and not able to line up your sites, the laser is effective in getting the POI on target from different angles. The other laser systems? don't know about them. Were you considering a particular type?
Old July 18, 2011, 07:30 AM   #5
pstrlipscomb

I bought the LCR with the laser grips installed. They offer both benefits and compromises. The Crimson Trace is smaller and harder than the Hogues which allows them to conceal easily and not snag garments, but they also leave you feeling more recoil, e.g. the .38 +p is not much fun to shoot very long. I remedy this by using light loads which shoot to same POA/POI at 15 yds. for practice.

Laser grips have also allowed my wife and I to practice dry fire at night in our home with terrific improvements in trigger control for us both.

I also have a .45 ACP pistol with Meprolight night sights. After seeing the way that laser lights up a target in the darkness of my bedroom and realizing that I can hold the pistol in any position with a good aim, I have chosen the LCR to slide under my pillow every night. I would just rather have that laser if I was in a fight in the middle of the night.

Don't worry about batteries, just change them when you are concerned. I was won over to the wonder of lasers when I shot a skunk one night in Texas. I was in the passenger seat of a pickup and could not hold my friend's 10MM Glock in a position to see both the sights and the skunk, so I held the pistol above my head with my arm out the window - one shot, one kill, skunk never moved and could not spray that far!

The versatility the laser brings to your shooting positions can shorten a fight and turn it in your favor. As soon as I can afford it, the .45 ACP will get Crimson Trace lasers to add to the Meprolight night sights.

As an aside, I qualified with a Glock 23 duty pistol in "low light" shooting without the aid of either night sights or lasers. It was so dark that when I raised my gun I could not see the black gun, the white dots, or the grey target until other guys on the line began to light up the range with their muzzle flash. We shot out to 15 yds. and I scored 100%; that was better than I did in daylight out to 25 yds. Good practice benefits greatly under duress.

All things considered, I would take a laser on all my pistols if I could afford it, but consistent practice has so far allowed me to perform with what is at hand.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
WANT A LCR 22LR

" I was in the passenger seat of a pickup and could not hold my friend's 10MM Glock in a position to see both the sights and the skunk, so I held the pistol above my head with my arm out the window - one shot, one kill, skunk never moved and could not spray that far! "

Was this preceded by " Hey, Bubba. Hold my beer and watch this! " ? Te Hee.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:20 PM   #7
ghalleen

Quote:
Was this preceded by " Hey, Bubba. Hold my beer and watch this! " ?
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old July 18, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Willis83

Simple. Get both.

I would get the tritium night sight if I could have only one.

Tags
crimson trace , laser , night sights