The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2008, 05:36 PM   #1
antsi

What stage of Deer Hunting madness are you in?

Here in IN, we are 8 days before opening day of gun season.

I usually don't get too psyched until a couple days before. This year, for whatever reason, I have been geeked up for most of the Fall.

It is almost enough to make me want to take up bow hunting so I can get out there earlier.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Jager78

I have to wait until the second weekend to go hunt and I have been itching to go for the last three months. I have sighted in my rifle and been to the range it seems like every other weekend to make sure I'm still on target.
I have triple checked all of my gear and have been counting deer to fall asleep at night. Which doesn't help any!

I can't take it anymore! I need to get out in the woods and away from the all the flashing lights, noise, and especially work!

Six days left

Last edited by Jager78; November 6, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Merk_fmr8511

We are almost into 3 weeks of deer season here in Montana. I sighted in my 30-30 a month prior. I got a nice doe last weekend. The Lever Evolutions did their job. She dropped like a rock.
Old November 6, 2008, 06:17 PM   #4
scoobydoo6906

denial, I don't have the money to go this year.
Old November 6, 2008, 06:29 PM   #5
antsi

Oh, Scooby, ouch.

I bet you are not the only one who is having to cut back this year. We are doing some of that too.

Thankfully has not affected hunting so far.

Hopefully next year will make it up for you!
Old November 6, 2008, 06:42 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am awaiting general gun... But this year I am to poor NOT TO hunt! I can't afford not to bag some major poundage of wild meat.
Brent
Old November 6, 2008, 06:47 PM   #7
zoomie

I'm in TX and don't own land... so it's hogs only for me. I guess that puts me pretty high on the madness scale, though.
Old November 6, 2008, 06:51 PM   #8
freakintoguns

ive never been hunting, and dont owna deer rifle.....but i wanna get one and go bad!!!! my neighbor across the street always seems to bag some nice bucks, gonna have to go with him when i get a rifle
Old November 6, 2008, 07:23 PM   #9
sureshots

Making Smoke

I can't hardly wait . Muzzleloading opens Saturday. I'm tired of lugging that heavy crossbow around. I'm ready to make some SMOKE.
Old November 6, 2008, 07:26 PM   #10
hpg

With this warm weather here in Kentucky, I could care less at this moment..........hpg
Old November 6, 2008, 08:23 PM   #11
lockedcj7

ML season opened Oct. 1 and gun season opened Oct. 15th. It will be open until Jan. 1st. I really should be hunting this week, since it's the peak of the rut here but I've got the creepin' crud and it's all I can do to sit up straight.
Old November 6, 2008, 08:26 PM   #12
45Marlin carbine

anticipation. I look forward to a once-a-year treat of grilled liver and onions for me. I usually get one - maybe doe w/muzzleloader or M30 on centerfire doe day. every now and again a nice set of horns with my '06.
high cholesterol says once a year and also heart/tongue is a treat for me.
Old November 6, 2008, 08:52 PM   #13
bclark1

Two weeks 'til I fly out for the WI gun season - then a week after that, OH shotgun. I am pretty preoccupied with it this year too... hoping for the best!
Old November 6, 2008, 08:58 PM   #14
perley03

Opening Season started the last Saturday of Oct for Maine residents. I was supposed to go to Hawaii this fall for a short contract so I sold my 30-30 to a good friend who needed it more than I did. Needless to say the contact start date got extended so I bought a new gun. Then I realized I needed a new pair of boots. Then I bought a new stand and some misc. calls. So basically going balls to the wall this fall. Been out just about every morning and some in the evenings with very good sign. The rut hasn't started here yet, I think its because its been too warm here still. Been in the 50's every day, a little brisk first thing in the morning but not like last year. Hopefully the rut will start very soon and get things fired up.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:19 PM   #15
rantingredneck

Taken two with the bow already this year (8 pointer and doe). Muzzleloader opens Saturday. I'm off 3 days next week to hunt (damn conference next Wed/Thurs or I'd be off then too). Gun season opens the following Saturday. I go back to work for a week then I'm off the whole week of Thanksgiving. Then I'm back at work a few weeks and then off from Dec 22nd through the 5th (season ends on the 1st).

So I guess you could say I'm in full on madness right now.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:32 PM   #16
Kentucky Deer Hunter

Quote:
With this warm weather here in Kentucky, I could care less at this moment..........hpg
It is warm now, but it is supposed to be 36º on Saturday morning (opening day of modern gun) and 30º on Sunday morning and mostly cloudy!!!

I have been pretty excited this year... I am also going up to Illinois for gun opener weekend the end of November to film a 4 day big buck hunt. I'm not holding the gun, but it will be great.

So to answer your question...
Quote:
What stage of Deer Hunting madness are you in?
... I'm in FULL RUT!!!

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old November 6, 2008, 10:13 PM   #17
flyboy14

season opened last weekend here in sd, hunted sat, and sunday in 70 degree weather. Its thursday and a blizzard hit last night, have six foot snow drifts outside, and couldn't get out of the house. Normally I would love having two days off of work in the middle of the week in november. All I can do is wait, I'm stuck in the house with the wife, and the kids (not all bad, I like the kids).
At least it gave me a chance to catch up on my loading. Things could be worse, could be working.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:13 AM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
It is warm now, but it is supposed to be 36º on Saturday morning (opening day of modern gun) and 30º on Sunday morning and mostly cloudy!!!
I'm a Kentucky hunter as well and I'm pretty pumped that the weather is supposed to turn cool. This week, the temp in the northern part of the state reached mid-70's but thankfully a cold front blew in just this morning.

I'm hunting for 5 days straight and the each day is almost a copy of the previous one; lows in the 30's, highs right around 50.
Old November 7, 2008, 11:51 AM   #19
Eghad

Not in a frenzy...just savoring the thought of the hunt

I finally got on a pretty good sized lease in SE Texas for the astounding sum of $425.00 a year they even have a camp site with an electrical pole. Did not get on until August and have made one trip thier it is about 45 minutes drive form the house. It has hogs and deer on it plus borders a river and has fishing.

I will probably set up a portable ground blind this year since I really have not had to much time to invest. I did order USGS maps of the lease and have plotted some existing stands. We go on another expedition of the lease via ATV soon.

NRA Life Member
Old November 7, 2008, 11:56 AM   #20
fisherman66

I put a pig in the freezer a couple weeks ago. That was like antibiotics fer deer fever. We have a public land hunt coming up in a few weeks and a private land doe cull after than. I'm jazzed, but much more excited for an old buddy (and best man) new to hunting that's coming with me. I don't imagine I will get to shoot on the public land, but I hope I get to teach how to field dress, quarter and butcher.
Old November 7, 2008, 12:02 PM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, I've sorta gotten where the heighth of ambition is to sit in my truck in the back country, looking to see if anything wanders close to the jeep trail. Otherwise, I tend to hunt real hard around the campfire.

The trouble with aging is that you don't get all that hungry. Hard for me to eat a whole deer, anymore...

, Art
Old November 7, 2008, 12:20 PM   #22
davlandrum

I am in the depression stage - season done, nothing to show for it, 11 1/2 months to wait for my next try...

sobbing at my desk....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 7, 2008, 12:48 PM   #23
12GaugeShuggoth

Well, I accomplished my one major goal for this year, which was to take my first deer with a bow. Bagged a nice 8 pointer with the old bow, so the pressure is off for me. BP has been in here for a week now, but I don't BP hunt so it hasn't changed anything for me.

I don't care much for general gun (shotgun) season around here, since all of those darned hunt clubs (actually it's mainly just one, but I won't name) run their dogs 24/7 and trespass on to our land, scaring the deer and making them run in every known direction. They turn hunting in to a turkey-shoot, takes all the skill and enjoyment out of it IMO.

I'll probably take one or two during shotgun, but it'll just be to finish filling up the freezer to hold us 'till next year.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 7, 2008, 12:55 PM   #24
fisherman66

Quote:
I am in the depression stage - season done, nothing to show for it, 11 1/2 months to wait for my next try...
No memories? No pictures? No time spent with family or friends?

Sir, that is depressing.
Old November 7, 2008, 04:05 PM   #25
Coyote Hitman

I have already had my hands in a gut pile this year, so I no longer have the fever. The rut is in full swing, though, so I get a tingle every now and then.