The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Chainsaw.

Lil gun for 300bo

So Ive cast a bunch of lyman .309 cal bullets for my 30-30 and 300bo. Hodgdon shows Lil gun at ~13-14 grains for about 1500-1800 fps. So two questions given lil gun gets bit of a bad rap. One, is it to "hot" for lead bullets. Two, will it foul up the gas block/tube/etc enough that I don't want to use it?
Old December 12, 2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Whisper 300

Don't know if it helps you but I use a lot of Lil'Gun in my Whisper BUT it is a bolt and all subsonic loadings.
I find it works quite well with 220 to 240 gr. bullets kept around 1050 to 1100 fps.
Will not quote a specific loading but it is consistent with small variations in velocity and does not seem excessively "dirty" .
Clean up seems to be on par with H110 or IMR4227

Good luck.
Old December 13, 2016, 10:20 AM   #3
gojuice101

I load both lightweight supersonics and heavyweight subs with Lil'gun (jacketed and lead). It works fine with both. Also, after many, many rounds, I've never noticed any excessive fouling due to Lil'gun.

A good powder for 300BLK. However, it took more testing and tweaking than usual to get my 300BLK to cycle reliably with subsonics (16" barrel, carbine gas system). Supersonics worked flawlessly.
Old December 13, 2016, 11:05 AM   #4
stagpanther

I assume you're going heavy with the bullet weight? (you didn't say). Lil'gun works fine though it can leave some residue behind--and also creates some of the best fireballs at the muzzle for burning powder catching up with the bullet at the muzzle. : ) For smaller faster loads I go H110
Old December 13, 2016, 11:14 AM   #5
A pause for the COZ

Here is what I use for Supersonic loads.

Cast loads RL-7, H110
Jacketed target loads H110

Jacketed 125gr SP hunting loads. LiL Gun

Lil gun is awesome you get a free 100 Fps of speed for the same load weight.
Not needed so much for target shooting. But I wont turn it down for hunting.
Old December 13, 2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Chainsaw.

Good catch Stagpanther. Ill mostly be running cast/coated/GCed 180 grain bullets with the purpose of hunting apples and soda cans. Will be at moderate speeds. I have some decent loadings for subs and supers in other powders but have many pounds of lil gun laying around so wanted to put it to good use. Fireballs sound nice, its chilly around here lately
Old December 13, 2016, 12:24 PM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
Good catch Stagpanther. Ill mostly be running cast/coated/GCed 180 grain bullets with the purpose of hunting apples and soda cans. Will be at moderate speeds. I have some decent loadings for subs and supers in other powders but have many pounds of lil gun laying around so wanted to put it to good use. Fireballs sound nice, its chilly around here lately
Lil'gun is great for pistol/revolver cartridges (at least I like it)--it can leave some "stuff" behind which some think may possibly corrode--but I usually clean after every session so I don't worry about. Very versatile powder IMO.