The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 28, 2004, 11:29 AM   #1
hominy

more information on Flobert rifle

Since posting on 12-15-04 regarding a Flobert Rifle, I have found some additional stamping, on the bottom of the action, stamped diagonally is
"( illegible) B. Schop & Co ". Farther out on the bottom of the barrel are two dots, farther yet, almost under the rear sight, is the capitol letter " L ", with serif.
Any info regarding this marking is appreciated. Thanks, Hominy
Old January 4, 2005, 02:59 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Flobert rifles were made in 4mm and 6mm (perhaps 5mm as well, but I am not sure) in both center fire and rimfire. Those imported into the US were made for the .22 BB Cap. There was no powder; the force of the primer propelled the BB out the barrel. The original Flobert action had no breech lock, the only thing that prevented the case from blowing back was the inertia of the hammer. Later ones had a form of rolling block and were made for more "powerful" cartridges like the .22 Short. People have from time to time tried firing .22 Short or even LR (some guns will accept them) in early Flobert rifles and been injured when the breech blows open and the case comes back in the face.

I have nothing else, except that the maker was apparently Belgian and your rifle should have a Belgian "ELG" proof mark under the barrel. A quick search turned up the following URL which might provide a bit more information.

http://oldguns.net/cgi-bin/f2f/f2f.p...et/q&a9_01.htm

Good luck in finding info, but I don't think it is worthwhile to try to find ammo; consider the gun an interesting novelty and wall hanger.

Jim
Old January 4, 2005, 09:33 PM   #3
hominy

more information on Flobert Rifle

John; Thanks for the info. I went to the site you offered and learned some more regarding this rifle. This site too is now on my " favorites " list.
Only the capital letter L is under the barrel, it does not appear as tho any other stamping was done in that area. On the other side of the " breech" there is an oval enclosing the letters LEG, with a small star under the E. Above that is the letter M, under another small star.
I will check the bore size using the other metric calibers you mentioned. I have no intention of firing it, and have strongly advised the present owner along that line. It is a family rifle of his. I was attracted to its' apparent design as a crossover between muzzle loaders and cartridge guns. Now, a dormant case of " collector "fever is starting to take hold. Thanks again for your time and assistance. All help is welcome.
Hominy
Old January 5, 2005, 11:06 AM   #4
hominy

sheesh

Jim : Sorry about mis-idntifying you. I do appreciate the info.
Hominy