The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2012, 03:53 PM   #1
cmdc

Desert Eagle 50 AE opinions wanted

I'm thinking about one of these, and would like some input.

Thanks
Old October 13, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
JustinBiscuit

Fun for a short while, then a safe queen.

If I were to buy one, I would go big, meaning get the 50AE in Gold and start saving for another! Think of the Youtube video!
Old October 13, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
DFrame

A friend has one. Lots of fun once in a while.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:20 PM   #4
geetarman

My son has one and he loves it. It is handful for me.

It IS an attention getter.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 13, 2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Paul K

They're ok. I've shot all the calibers. I think they are cool, but far from the most reliable handgun out there. It's been several years since I've shot them but all of them had problems with jamming every few mags- but look at the size of the shell she's ejecting- that's why. From what I understand you have to grip the gun differently to shoot it correctly.

All in all it's a novelty gun. If you are going to get one, get an older one that's an IMI. I think the finish that's the coolest is the polished blue.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
WC145

IMO the Desert Eagles are just too freakin big, even for the .50AE. I have an Automag V in .50AE and, while it's still a big gun, it weighs at least a pound less than a DE and is much more manageable. They are also less ammo sensitive than the DE with it's gas operating system. Prices usually run less the DE's as well.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old October 13, 2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Eagle50AE

I've got a DE in 50AE, and Justin is right.. It's a safe queen.
Aside from being one very intimidating piece of steel, it's pretty impractical.
It's way to heavy to carry.
If you want a big handgun, get PLR16. Way more fun to shoot.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Nice guns, the DEs. Had a matte chrome .44 DE in the late 80s.

Too large to carry for CCW ('cept maybe in the woods), its size makes it a "range only" proposition or a very capable hunting pistol.

As long as you know that when you buy it and you still want it, I'd say go for it.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:45 PM   #9
NO-BODY

One big ass gun that will get the best of you and your wallet.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:38 PM   #10
drail

The main "problem" with the DE in all calibers is the gas system. It must be kept very clean for 100% function. You must use jacketed bullets. If any lead is blown into the gas ports it is almost impossible to remove it with "tools". It has to be unplated with a Foul out system and flushed out. If you can keep the gas ports from clogging they are very reliable pistols. Even in .44 Magnum they only give recoil like a Garand rifle. Big slow push. Just keep it clean.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:56 AM   #11
Redhawk5.5+P+

It's diffenitly a niche gun. A niche for what? I don't know. I see it as a show off gun.

"Look at my big gun"

"That's a big gun"

Do you reload?
Old October 14, 2012, 02:12 AM   #12
m_liebst

Just had gone to the range today and one guy had a big arsenal of show-off guns including the .44 magnum DE. Yes I know it's not the 50AE but ya might wanna chime in on this:

Every clip or so he'd have a round that wouldn't eject. I inquired about this and the guy told me that there is a certain way of holding/gripping the gun so that it will more easily eject the cartridges.

I thought that it was suppose to be the fancy gas port blow-back system that would not add any extra restrictions to the reliability of the ejections.

Anyway,... I found it to be odd to see so many ejection failures. Maybe he bought the gun from someone who had miss-used it with non-jacketed ammo?

But if it's true that the DEs require a certain hold to conclude proper ejections,
this would definitely not be the choice of man gun that I'd want for the price tag and limited mobility.

Last edited by m_liebst; October 14, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:07 AM   #13
cmdc

Thanks for the candid input. Based on all of your comments, I think I'll pass on this gun for now.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:16 AM   #14
thedudeabides

It's an unreliable gun with a complex gas-operated design that only functions well in video games--where guns never go bad.

It shoots very large and expensive bullets with very large recoil. You better feed it full powered loads, or it will malfunction... unlike revolvers chambered similarly, which can take as much or as little as you want them to. The gas channels/ports/whatever get gunked up and it's a pain to clean them. Apparently an ultrasonic bath isn't enough to clear all of the crap out of a fouled "Deagle."

New ones are expensive, used ones are cheap because owners got sick of all the quirkiness.

If you want to show off at the range with a tremendous muzzle flash and wrist-snapping recoil, why don't you just get a quality, extra large frame revolver.

I like to shoot guns at the range, not fiddle with malfunctions.

You will have issues with a Desert Eagle if you think you can go to the range every few days and run 100-200 rounds through it.

edit: did I mention it was heavy? It weighs almost 4.5 pounds, unloaded...

Last edited by thedudeabides; October 14, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:20 AM   #15
Beretta686

They're pretty cool and you'll win the size contest most days out on the range. But as everyone else has pointed out, impractical is just beginning to describe them.

About 6 years ago I almost bought one, but saved a little more and got a full-auto MAC-10, which in infinitely cooler, appreciates in value and probably costs about the same to feed compared to a steady diet of .50AE. Just something to think about.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 14, 2012, 08:36 AM   #16
cmdc

Wow. All I can say is Yikes!! I'm really glad I asked you guys before buying one. Usually I buy THEN ask.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:45 AM   #17
Beretta686

If you have your heart set on one, go buy it. Just don't be expecting something it's not.

It's the same thing I tell people about getting a machine gun: if you're expecting something useful and practical, you'll be sorely disappointed. But if you buy it knowing it's nothing more than an expensive, amusing range-toy to wow your friends with and win the size contest, you'll never be disappointed.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 14, 2012, 11:51 AM   #18
Gdawgs

I'll agree with most of the others here. If you "need" more power than what you have, a magnum revolver would be a much more practical and usable option. One example would be a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. Reliability is not an issue with the revolver, it is a managable size, and the 454 has the power edge over the 50 AE(not that you really need more). Plus ammo is much easier to find for the 454. If that's not enough power for you, there are more options out there.

The main issue that I had with the DE is that the grip is just way too big for my hands. If you have large hands, no problems. But if you don't have Andre the Giant sized hands, it may not fit you.

Also, do you reload? Have you priced out ammo? Unless you are rich, shooting either of these rounds is very expensive. Most people don't do much shooting when it costs $1-$2 per pop.

Last edited by Gdawgs; October 14, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:15 PM   #19
FairWarning

If you want to really shoot often and often the unique features of the DE, try .44 Mag. Far less expensive and extreme.
Old October 14, 2012, 01:45 PM   #20
drail

Try to think of the DE as a "crew served handgun". It has become Hollywood's favorite gratuitous bad guy gun.
Old October 14, 2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Wow. All I can say is Yikes!! I'm really glad I asked you guys before buying one. Usually I buy THEN ask.
LOL

LMAO to my self.

My hand cannon is, "the hand cannon" of all my hand cannon collection, a Ruger RedHawk 44mag shooting Buffalo Bore 340g hard cast +P+ a/1500+ fps, what else do you need for $425 LNIB.

But it's not just for show like a 50 DE would be.
Old October 15, 2012, 12:37 AM   #22
WoofersInc

Looking through the post I only found 2 that actually owned the gun. It seems all the others were from people that had just shot it or " i've got a friend with one".

I do own a 50 AE and also have one in 44 mag. I have not had any malfunctions with mine.

Is it a niche gun. Yes but how many niche guns are out there?

I have carried mine backpacking through bear country, and have also used it hog hunting. It is an accurate firearm and does have it's uses.

As always ymmv.
Old October 15, 2012, 02:01 AM   #23
lowercase

I actually used to own one, and purchased it for hiking in bear country in NW Montana, which I never did, but dammit, I had the gun!

Mine was rock-solid reliable. It was just expensive to feed.

It was quite the range queen, and everyone loved it.

If you do end up eventually getting one, go big and get the pimped-out gold version!

Last edited by lowercase; October 15, 2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old October 15, 2012, 05:37 PM   #24
k_dawg

Find a range that rents one. Have fun. Get it out of your system.

Then invest in something a whole lot more practical. Like a .44 magnum revolver.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
Old October 16, 2012, 01:52 AM   #25
Edward429451

I'm going to disagree with everyone except post #22. My brother owns a 44 DE, My friend owns a 50 DE, and I've shot both quite a bit and another guys 50 DE at the range before also. I have never had a DE malfunction in my hand.

It does not take a special grip to shoot it without malfunction. It only takes a proper grip. Yes, it is possible to limp wrist it, I've seen it done. The slide is pretty massive, so a limp wristed grip can induce a malfunction if you don't lock up tight on it. Let's not go saying the gun is hard to shoot without malfunction though because it just isn't so.

There's nothing finicky about the gas system either. It is not prone to jamming or to getting clogged up. Lead bullets are not recommended for use in the DE and if you do not shoot lead in them it will purr along for years without trouble. This doesn't make the DE gas system junk.

You guys are repeating things you heard and are perpetuating false information. This is not being fair to DE's, because it just isn't so.