The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1
hillbille

oil sprays

I know most serious BP pistol shooter use olive oil. just wondering wouldn't the pam olive oil spray do the same thing and be a little easier to put on? any thoughts.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
pohill

I use PAM on the cylinder pins of my Paterson and Ruger Old Army. Works great. Also, I spray some down the barrel, let it set for a minute, tip the barrel and watch all the crap it drags out (like an oven cleaner).
Now, I take come verbal crap whenever I mention it on a forum, but hey, screw it - it works and it's cheap.
But, it doesn't work so well on my other Colts - Walker, 1860, etc.,
Old March 1, 2009, 12:33 AM   #3
kirpi97

Quote:
I take come verbal crap whenever I mention it
I don't give you verbal crap for using PAM. But when you talk about using PAM with your COW, I just want to throw a strip of bacon across your barrel while your shooting. Now is there something wrong with me for wanting a hearty breakfast?

I got an old misused Old Army Ruger. It hadn't been cleaned. So it was rusted and pitted. So I thought, what the ....!" I cleaned the barrel normally. And then I put in a squirt of PAM. Waited a spell and then ran the water through afterwards. I didn't see that much of a difference. But when I pushed the cloth through to wipe it out, it had crud that had been missed with my regular cleaner. So there may be something to this PAM thing.

I haven't seen any harm from it either.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I take come verbal crap whenever I mention it on a forum
I don't think I've given you any about it. I haven't tried it yet but I intend to.
Old March 1, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5
pohill

I said a forum - not this one. You guys are too civilized to give me crap about using a girlie girl kitchen spray on my gun. My pink gun, I might add.
Well, except for that Smokin Gun guy - he's not very civilized. Rides a Honda Moped...geez (that'll wake him up)
Old March 1, 2009, 01:18 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

OK, now you got me curious. I just may have to try PAM on my C&Bs - or at least one of em............Now, lesseee, where did I put that POS San Marco Navy boat anchor.....................................
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 1, 2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
My pink gun, I might add.
Well now that's different.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:02 PM   #8
pohill

Pink guns don't scare MA liberals as much.
I wish someone would try the PAM (or a cheaper store version - same stuff) and let me know. Then again, if it catches on, the prices will go up.
Nevermind - PAM doesn't work.
Old March 1, 2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Now, lesseee, where did I put that POS San Marco Navy boat anchor.....................................
You can send it to me. I need a unique boat anchor.
Old March 1, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
kirpi97

Quote:
where did I put that POS San Marco Navy boat anchor
Fingers, I'll send you some toilet paper to wrap that POS anchor. Wouldn't want to get you into trouble mailing that stuff.:

Quote:
pink gun
Pohill, you the man. Any man secure enough in his manhood to walk the streets of MA with a "pink gun" in his pants, is too much of a man for me mess with.

Let me try and remember what Sarge told me. "This is your rifle, this is your gun. This is for shooting and this is for fun."
Old March 1, 2009, 07:38 PM   #11
pohill

It's only wrapped in pink paper. When I get to my gun club in NH, the pink goes away. Although, NH, and the rest of the country, might not be too far behind MA if I read the signs correctly.