The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
dmacintyre

45 long colt question

Hope this is in the right forum..........

I am currently looking at buying a SAA revolver in 45LC and a Winchester lever action rifle of some kind. If I buy the rifle in 45LC can I use the same ammo in both guns?

Thanks

David
Old February 21, 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Walther22lr

If you only use factory spec ammo rated for use in Colt type SAA guns you should be able to. Same for handloads if you only use loads that are again, rated for use in the Colt SAA model.

You did not specify which Winchester rifle. If it is the modern replica 1873 model, they are the weakest actions. They are fine with the above rated Colt SAA loads though.

I use a 250 gr. RNFP bullet and use one load for both rifle and pistol. They are handloads loaded to factory equivalent. I have not had any problems shooting them out of my Winchester 1873 replica and Colt SAA since 1992 and 1978 respectivly. These are in .45 Colt.

The Winchester 1892 and 1894 are stronger actions.
Ruger Single Actions are stronger than the Colt type by the way.

Bullet profile may be a factor though. My rifle did not like the 255 gr. SWC that I was using in my Colt SAA so I switched to the RNFP for perfect feeding. Remember that lever guns need a flat point bullet and not a round nose.
Old February 21, 2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
Ruger Single Actions are stronger than the Colt type by the way.
The old Vaquero is stronger, the new Vaquero isn't.
Old February 21, 2009, 11:52 PM   #4
Walther22lr

Quote:
The old Vaquero is stronger, the new Vaquero isn't.
Correct. The older discontinued Vaquero (which is stamped "Vaquero") is stronger than the new Vaquero (which is stamped "New Vaquero").
Old February 22, 2009, 09:36 AM   #5
dmacintyre

Thanks for the answers guys. I knew about flat point bullets in lever guns but I don't get the relevance of "strong" or "weak" actions. What do you mean by these terms and how does it affect things? BTW, it is a colt SAA I am looking at.
Old February 22, 2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Hawg

Colt's and clones will handle modern factory ammo with no problem but they won't handle Ruger only loads. The Ruger old Vaquero is a bigger, thicker framed gun that will handle heavy loads. The new Vaq. is about the same size and frame thickness as a Colt. With rifles the 66's and 73's are toggle link actions with the toggle handling the back pressure from firing. They can't handle heavy loads. The 92's have double locking lugs making them a very strong action, even stronger than the 94. A 92 in .45 Colt can be hot loaded above and beyond 44 mag pressures safely. One in 44-40 can be loaded to 44 mag pressures but the thin cases won't last long.