The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Elkbow2003

OLD powder

I have inherited some old powder from my Grandfather and from my Dad. The freshest powder would be about 20-25 years old, and some of it must be 40 years old. All of it is still in sealed containers, none has clumped or appears to have been damaged. I have numerous can that are in cardboard containers with metal tops and bottoms with a cork type metal plug to pour from. I remember one can that says Hodgdon "BL-C Lot 2". The lowest price tag I noticed that I can still read came from Furr's sporting good store in Lubbock, TX with a price tag of $2.86 on the pound of powder. Many of them are priced $4.00 to $9.00 retail. Some are from Gibson's, Howard's and even Walmart must have sold powder many years ago. There are exactly 50 one pound cans, most are full, but some are partially filled. It appears that they are all still good, but how can I know for sure?

I had gotten out of reloading around 25 years ago and started hunting with a bow, but now I have purchased an AR-15 and want to reload for it. I thought I might look in a few manuals and reload for the .223 using some of this old powder. I am not concerned with shooting the best group, I just want a safe load that I can punch paper with. I have also started shooting my pistols and rifles again and would like to reload for them.

Another question, I have some new CCI small rifle and some CCI small rifle Magnum primers. Should the load be adjusted at all if I use the magnum primers instead of the standard primers?
Old January 19, 2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Unless the powder smells funny and acrid or sharp (not the normal faint ethyl ether smell) or has a reddish cast or reddish pollen like dust on it, it is probably good. Alliant keeps a glass jar filled with the first lot of Unique submerged in water. Periodically they take a sample and dry it and test it. After 90 years, give or take, it is still fine. As long as it was cool enough where the powder was kept, it may be just fine.

With a slightly heaver bullet, like 62 grains and up, the BL-C(2) should be a good powder. Keep in mind that some of the fourmlations have changed over the kind of time period you are talking about, so I would not trust current load data. I would knock the modern starting loads down 10% and work up.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 19, 2009, 10:40 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

The open cans have likely deteriorated over time. The sealed cans should be ok, if it has been stored in a cool, dry place. The open cans, I'd pitch. Makes good grass fertilizer, apparently.
"..."BL-C Lot 2"..." Old name for BLC-2. It'll do for .223, if it's any good. Hodgdon's site has data. Used in .308/7.62mm, et al, as well.
"...a price tag of $2.86..." Geez, that is old. Still more than minimum wage, up here, in the early to mid 70's.
Magnum primers are for lighting hard to ignite powders and cold weather shooting. You don't need 'em for any .223 powder. They do increase the pressures some too.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:15 AM   #4
jdscholer

I've been doing a lot of loading and fun shooting for several years now with several powders that probably date back to the 30's. I wish I had a chronograph to check velocity sometimes, but as far as I can tell everything is fine. I don't use this powder to load "important" shells, but for gong shooting, squirrel shooting, and general off-hand practice, it's fine. I don't think I could bear to dump it; I'm too tight.

I need to post a few pictures of some of the old cans; I think they border on collectable. If not, they at least make for good decorations in the loading room.

On the primers, always kick back a ways and work back up when using mags instead of regular. I'd like to know if there are specific situations, cartridges, powders etc. where it is definately not advised to use magnum primers. Experts please respond. jd
Old January 20, 2009, 06:27 AM   #5
Elkbow2003

Thanks for the replies so far. I just loaded 100 rounds using 23.5 grains of 3031 with Winchester 6 1/2 SR primers and Winchester 55 grain FMJBT bullets with a Dillon 550B progressive press. It will be a month or so before I will be able to try them out. Depending on which chart I reference, it's about 1/3 to 1/2 way between a starting and maximum load. If I load this same load using the CCI Magnum primers, will I need to adjust the charge at all? Is there a rule of thumb (maybe back off 5-10%) when using a Magnum primer, or can I use the same data safely?
Old January 20, 2009, 07:18 AM   #6
Sport45

If and when you empty the cans don't throw them away. The vintage containers are probably worth something on eBay, Gunbroker, or at your neighborhood gun store.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:52 AM   #7
jdscholer

Elkbow,
It looks to me like you are plenty safe using mag primers with that load, and still have room to go up if you want. jd