The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2009, 09:03 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Acceptable extreme spread and standard deviation?

When chronographing my .223 loads, what should I consider acceptable extreme spread and standard deviation in a 10 shot string?
Old January 17, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
PCJim

Dave, I go by the accuracy and size of the groupings compared in conjunction to the Chrony results. Usually, they go hand in hand. I think you'll find that the smaller the groupings, the lower the ES and SD of the rounds.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:29 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I read somewhere that benchrest shooters don't like to see anything more than 20-25 fps ES. I usually get 30 or 35 fps ES in 5 shot groups with my .243 with H4895. SD is usually around 14. Groups anywhere from .375" to .500" at 100 yds.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 18, 2009, 12:16 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Charles Petty got 150 fps extreme spread from a load that proved accurate at 100 yards in his rifle. If you run range tables, you find that at around 3100 fps, a 150 fps difference causes the 55 grains Sierra BT to change vertical position about 0.25" at 100 yards. So you can still shoot a 0.25" group at 100 yards with that velocity difference. That is assuming the barrel time difference doesn't take your gun off a sweet spot.

When you get to 300 yards, a different story starts to develop, as the difference grows to almost 3" or not quite 1 moa. By 600 yards it is about 19" or 3 moa. You would normally choose a heavier, higher BC bullet for long range because it would be less sensitive to this problem, but the example is instructive. In general, if your purposes are short range, you don't really need to concern yourself much with velocity spread. As you get to longer ranges, you do.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle