The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Lord Bob

Cast Boolit load/Aluminum GC

Okay, I'll flaunt my ignorance.
Just getting into bullet casting, got the aluminum gas check maker (from old spent coke cans).
Can I use regular, low-power-end load from that bullet weight load data on a GC bullet?
What are some powder options for lead bullets? Does it even matter?
I've heard horror stories (aluminum oxide based) about aluminum gas checks. Is this BS, or fact?

Again, I bow to superior knowledge and wisdom in the continued effort to avoid disfigurement.

Many thanks.
Have at it.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:43 PM   #2
kraigwy

What gun and load are you casting for. I have several cast bullet for gas checks but I seldum use the gas checks, even with rifles.

Why don't you try it without the gas checks and see how it works first.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 14, 2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Lord Bob

Type of bullet

Right now, probably a 308 or 30-06. Maybe something else in the .30 class, but I'm trying those to start with. Rifles would be a 98k and an 03.
Old January 17, 2009, 02:34 AM   #4
totalloser

Aluminum pop can gas checks??? OMG I gotta have it! Where did you get it?

If it's like most data for pistols, you use a reduced charge due to the better sealing from the soft exterior. Cast lead is usually .001" larger, and seals off well, so more pressure is created. So reduced loads keep the pressure under control. Higher pressures also help melt off some of the base and cause excessive leading-especially if you have a soft alloy, worse if you have a gas check type bullet with no gas check. Maybe still not a problem, tho.

Hope someone with more experience chimes in, but I'd love to hear a little about the gas check maker!
Old January 17, 2009, 06:38 AM   #5
darkgael

Freechex

The tools are available on Ebay. Search for "FreeChex". I believe that Ebay is the only source, at least for this brand (don't know if there are other brands). The fellow who makes them does not always have all calibers available. The "buy it now" is $39.95.
Pete
Old January 17, 2009, 08:30 AM   #6
NuJudge

Gas checks act as a structural support for bullet base

They should not have much to do with sealing gasses.

Cast bullets are much softer than Jacketed bullets. The treatment a bullet gets in the chamber, throat and rifling is pretty rough. Cast can not take as much roughness as Jacketed. Hard Cast bullets can take more roughness than soft Cast. Gas Checks allow much higher velocities to be achieved without Leading and without groups going wild. Each barrel is a rule unto itself, but with a good bullet lubricant, Cast velocities above about 1200 fps without a gas check will result in Leading and grouping problems.

Most of the printed loads for Cast involve powders used for larger gauge shotguns. To name a few, Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot 2400. Other slower powders are usable in some rifle calibers, powders as slow as 4895, and perhaps a bit slower. Cast bullets in rifles can practically never take the rough handling of even a starting load for Jacketed. There are rifle powders that are known for being tollerant of loads reduced below those suggested as starting rifle loads, and 4895 is one of them. Using powders slower than 4895 in the reduced loads that cast bullets tollerate risks something called Secondary Explosion Effect.

I have made a few aluminum gas checks and used them, but not many. There are group buys on the Cast Boolit board of Gator Checks, Gas Checks made by an independent manufacturer, which are much cheaper than the Hornady/Lyman ones. I am satisfied with them.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Scorch

Sounds like an inexpensive alternative to copper gas checks. I remember reading an article years ago about the issues Winchester faced in developing the Silvertip handgun bullets. One issue was that aluminum galls on steel above 1,200 fps, and if they fired very many aluminum jacketed bullets they got really bad fouling. That's the main reason the Silvertip handgun bullets were low-velocity numbers, usually around 1,000-1,100 fps. Something to consider if you are using a very soft ductile aluminum like the stuff used for cans. But give it a try and let us know how it works.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:39 PM   #8
Lord Bob

Galling

Galling is a concern from the aluminum, and to be honest, it seems to be one extreme or the other from people I asked. Some people feel the paint/coating on the can material (along w/ the lube) should prevent oxidation and galling, while others say the aluminum w/ either oxidize and wear your barrel out, or gall.

It's irritating, but I've looked all over the place, and wherever this question is asked, it seems to devolve into questions about the GC and making them rather than any effect. This apparently is a KMAGYOYO.

I do appreciate the information, and more is always appreciated. I'm apparently going to have to get some Unique or 2400. Are any of the cowboy action powders viable (i.e. Trail Boss).

As always, thanks.