The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 24, 1999, 02:43 PM   #1
Jim V

Ok, I've seen several posts where there were links to other sites. How do I dodat? I have a couple of sites that I think the membrs of this forum may like to visit but I want to make it as easy as possible. So, Great Leaders of this forum, help me!

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Old February 24, 1999, 05:35 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Go to http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/ubbcode.html . That'll do it. OR click on the faqs tab at the main Forum page for more options.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited February 24, 1999).]
Old March 28, 1999, 11:11 AM   #3
DHH

Is there a limit to the length of the link? I tried several times to link to the results of a site search and it didn't work. I didn't have any spaces and did read the faq.
Old March 28, 1999, 12:09 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

DHH-
The url can be as long as you want. Sometimes a "link" doesn't work because it's really not a link.
For instance, the results of a search engine search may look like a "link". In fact, it's a coded algorithm that is dependant on certain variables that you entered in the search....at least this is how I believe it works.
When you see lots of "+","%" or "=" signs in a link, it's generally not a true url and will fail.
Rich
Old March 28, 1999, 12:28 PM   #5
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Another problem with long links is that the UBB software doesn't adhere to its standard line length, it keeps the link in one line because of the lack of spaces, the result being that a very long link will expand the thread screen to the right, and we have to use the lateral scroll bar to read.
It pisses people off. So if the link is long is better to give the parent site link and directions to the specific portion of the site you wish us to see.

Old March 28, 1999, 12:37 PM   #6
DHH

Rich and DC:
Thank you both for your explanations. I'm new on this site and appreciate the prompt help.
Old March 30, 1999, 12:17 AM   #7
[email protected]
Wise Guy

UBB Code will break the line once it reaches 140 charecters in length, causing some troubles.

Generally, if the URL is that long, you should either 1. Post directions to it, or 2. Learn HTML and post a "Click here" message.

But, and this is a big but, don't do HMTL if you aren't absolutely, positively, 120% sure it's right.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com