The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 8, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Bigfatts

Finally bought another AK...

Back when I built an AK from a parts kit. I was never happy with the way it turned out and ended up parting it out. Well lately I've been looking for an evac or "End of the World" type rifle. Looked at several different rifles and this afternoon I saw something I couldn't pass up. I spent all day looking with my brother. He's been looking for a rifle along the same lines as I was looking for. Mainly a defensive rifle. We went to every shop in Tampa and at the last store we found a pile of AK's- apparently they're a little scarce around here lately.

I found a lightly used underfolder. It was marked $549 and had a UTG PRO quad rail forend on it, a Krebs style mag release, a nice molded pistol grip, a Bushnell holo sight and a nice thick recoil pad. Came with 2 30 rounders and a killer soft padded case. I managed to finagle them a tad lower but I already thought I was getting a good deal so that was just icing. The underfolders go for $625-650 alone locally. I may end up mounting the sight on the quad rail and replacing the rear sight. Other than that, I like it. Might go with a different sight eventually but for now it will do.

My brother ended with a Hungarian AMD-65. So now, in the case of the ever unlikely disaster scenario my brother, brother-in-law and myself all have AK's so parts, mags and ammo are all interchangable. Could come in handy.

Here she is:

Old October 9, 2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Crow Hunter

Very nice looking rifle.

Have you shot it yet?

I HATE underfolders.

The only thing that is as difficult/uncomfortable to shoot is a single strut style folding stock, like the AMD has.

Neither gives a good reliable and not painful cheek weld and I have heard that the underfolders get wobbly fast being they are almost a direct copy of the German MP-40 which was designed around 9mm sub gun.

It does make the rifle look cool though.

But what is important is if you like it and can use it effectively or not.

If you haven't shot it yet, you may want to take some paracord or something with you when you do, so you can wrap it at the range to make it a little more comfortable.

Good luck.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Skans

I'm a big fan of underfolders. Heck, none of the AKs are really comfortable for me to shoot - they seem like they're made for little people, and I'm average height, not tall. The underfolders are nice and compact - easy to carry. I'm not going to take it up in a deer stand with me, but they are good for what they are.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Bigfatts

I haven't shot this particular gun yet but I have shot underfolders before and didn't mind. It will get a trip to the range this saturday.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:02 PM   #5
bamaranger

mount

Who's mount is that for the Bushnell dot?

Is that the one that Dillon's is selling?

I"m wanting to use the Pacific Midwest Irondot, but don't see that their mount will take the Bushnell sight. And the Primary Arms dot is sold out.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Bigfatts

It's a Samson mount for the red dot. It's pretty nice actually. Prior to this I had only seen the cheapo mounts that replace sights, B-Square and the like. Junk. But the Samson is actually rock solid. And it has a sight notch cut so you can still have irons for backup. It's nice, but they ain't cheap.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:46 AM   #7
bamaranger

got it

Thanks.

Looks good. I like folders. Can't do that with an AR! Sights may be a tad high for me.

Lutts, as in TN?
Old October 13, 2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Bigfatts

No sir. Lutz as in Florida- a little N of Tampa.