The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #651
Michael Bane

I kinda like the .327...I bought a bunch of brass and some heavier bullets to mess around with, but just haven't had the time. Bought the 8-shot Blackhawk as the platform...I'll probably get Hamilton Bowen to make a few changes in the gun...shorter barrel...different sights...better trigger...usual stuff. My idea is to use the gun as a trail gun for hiking (I do a lot of that, with Alf the Wonder Beagle).

There's a big aftermarket in .327 Single Six conversions, and the guys on the single action boards are crazy about the cartridge. Bob Baker @ Freedom Arms builds a really really nice SA .327 revolver...I was almost tempted to open my wallet at SHOT.

Thinking about having my Bowen .30 Carbine Blackhawk rechambered...

Michael B

PS: Predator rifle is stupid fun!

PPS: Was in Brazil in November and begged the guys at Rossi to build a .327 Model 92 lever gun. The Marlin .32 H&R was cool but never worked worth a hoot, especially if you ran it fast...issues on the diameter of the mag tube, I think. I still have one...
Old February 11, 2012, 09:16 PM   #652
Creek Henry

I feel that in a contender using very heavy bullets, this could be a great 327 Whisper type round. Other than that, I struggle to see what it can do that a 357/38 cannot already do. Also, at 48k psi, I'll bet it is pretty loud!
Old February 12, 2012, 03:45 AM   #653
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Also, at 48k psi, I'll bet it is pretty loud!
Not as loud as you might think.

...and still quieter than .357 Mag. (my opinion)
Old February 12, 2012, 05:06 PM   #654
gak

Michael Baine said
"PPS: Was in Brazil in November and begged the guys at Rossi to build a .327 Model 92 lever gun."

+1 Good for you!! Any reaction?
Old February 12, 2012, 05:53 PM   #655
L2R

I think the title is misleading

Quote:
I feel that in a contender using very heavy bullets, this could be a great 327 Whisper type round. Other than that, I struggle to see what it can do that a 357/38 cannot already do. Also, at 48k psi, I'll bet it is pretty loud!
No offense to this poster but since you are betting, it sounds like you have never heard the report of a 327 so I am betting you have never shot one either. As you cannot see what it can do, you probably haven't read posts 20-600 either. (Not that I blame you) or felt the reduced recoil.

BTW- I would have the same opinion except I have shot one and own one.

I have followed this thread for many months. About every 2 weeks, someone sees the topic,"what went wrong" and think they are joining a 'BASHING OF THE BULLETS' without reading the posts.

This is followed by the same 10 or 20 who valiantly defend it and the few hundred who wish they could have said it that well.

Rinse and repeat next week.

I wonder if it would make sense for BillCA, Sevens, Frankxxxx, Meyers etc to re-post the great data and graphs under a new title and close this one out.

Call it "The 327, what went right in spite of bad marketing" or "The little bullett who could" or "The bullet marketed before it was understood" or something with a positive note.

I know it would take time to re-post it once but I don't see this ending any time soon under this same name.

Last edited by L2R; February 12, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old February 13, 2012, 04:27 AM   #656
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I know it would take time to re-post it once but I don't see this ending any time soon under this same name.
I don't, either. But..
It gives us a recurring reason to talk about .327 Federal.
Old February 13, 2012, 02:26 PM   #657
gak

L2Rb said:
"BillCA, Sevens, Frankxxxx, Meyers etc to re-post the great data and graphs under a new title and close this one out.Call it "The 327, what went right in spite of bad marketing" or "The little bullett who could" or "The bullet marketed before it was understood" or something with a positive note.I know it would take time to re-post it once but I don't see this ending any time soon under this same name."

It's actually not a bad idea. I've been sorta bothered by the title of this from the start Those not all that familiar with the .327 to start with might get the wrong idea! I can see the headlines in the mid fifties, a mere two years after the Vette's intro when the Thunderbird was killing the Chevy. "What went wrong?" Advance forward a mere five years and then another forty five or fifty. Then, GM execs: "Boy that Vette was a bad idea wasn't it? We shoulda abandoned it way back then two years into it when sales and the press was a bit rough."
Old February 13, 2012, 10:30 PM   #658
farmboy

As the originator of this thread, with 33,000 views, I'm going to confidently say that things went exceptionally well.

I love the 327 Mag, and I'm the proud owner of a Ruger SP101 in the same chambering. The more this thing is under watchful public eye, the better chance it has to march on.

I guess that marketing degree I got many years ago paid off after all.

Last edited by farmboy; February 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old February 13, 2012, 10:39 PM   #659
farmboy

Now……..where can I find me some more of that American Eagle 100 grain stuff?
Old February 14, 2012, 02:39 AM   #660
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Now……..where can I find me some more of that American Eagle 100 grain stuff?
I can find it locally, any time I want (except at Sportsman's Warehouse... as mentioned before ). That doesn't really help you, though.

Midway (Backorder - currently showing 3/15/2012)

AbleAmmo (Note the incorrect velocity figure.)

CheaperThanDirt

SportCo

HinterlandOutdoors

MWHO

And more.... Google
Old February 14, 2012, 08:46 AM   #661
Hammer It

Quote:
Glenn,

The 432 is a sweet little gun, though I do wish the factory load was just a tad hotter. This little jewel needed only one thing out of the box -- front sight paint! To have something this small with six shots of .327 would be a great defensive gun. Has anyone converted an aluminum framed .32 H&R to .327? I'd be afraid to trust it. I'm not even sure a Scandium frame would hold up without it being specifically engineered for the higher pressure of the .327.

Hello Bill & Glenn
Speaking of a Very Rare find, I happened to come across a S&W Model 632 Cenntenial revolver last weekend. It came to me while I was at a Gun show and I bought it from it's original owner. It had only been test fired from the factory and sat in it's original serial numbered box there after. These were made from 1991-1992 Only and do Not show up often. I am not sure if the stainiless steel cylinder would Take the Higher pressures of the Federal .327 Magnum, but I would Be Very Leary to experiment with such a Rare piece. I gave it to my wife this morning for a Valentines day present along with a Card and box of chocolates... Here is what one looks like & up until now, I have only seen these in Pictures. By the way the guy that owned it drove a hard Bargain he wanted exactly whay he paid for it in 1991 and I caved into his asking price of $275.00, and was Very Pleased to get it. Now we have a Pair of Air-Weights chambered in .32 H&R Magnum this one and my model 431 P.D. Air-Weight Model of which both are shown below in Chocolate & Vanilla flavor... Too Bad S&W stopped Making these fine revolver's, I really like the caliber and 12 OZ. weight of these gun's.... Hammer It

Old February 14, 2012, 10:30 AM   #662
Glenn E. Meyer

I HATE YOU!!

Not really. Sigh!

I've passed on some really nice snubbies (because I was broke). I regret a snubby model 63 and 651 that I just had to look at.

Recently, I passed on that breaktop NAA 22 Mag for $400 - too much I sez. I will wait till the price comes down - and they discontinue them!!
Old February 14, 2012, 10:38 AM   #663
Madcap_Magician

Well, there is that Pro Series 632 with three-dot night sights.

The only thing I've been wondering about is how the J-frame will hold up to those pressures over time, even with a stainless frame.

The SP101 I'm not super worried about, that thing was always a tank.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:08 AM   #664
gak

Quote:
"Glenn, The 432 is a sweet little gun, though I do wish the factory load was just a tad hotter."

For a "factory" load (of sorts) for .32 H&R that's perfect for the 431/432 try Georgia Arms' great 100 gr JHP, using new brass. Reasonably priced ($24/per 50 or so + shipping).
http://georgia-arms.com/32handrmag.aspx

Last edited by gak; February 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:28 AM   #665
Sevens

Quote:
Recently, I passed on that breaktop NAA 22 Mag for $400 - too much I sez. I will wait till the price comes down - and they discontinue them!!
UGH! As my 12-year old would say, "Epic Fail"
Old February 14, 2012, 06:44 PM   #666
mashaffer

Hammer, I like the chocolate airweight. Have you had any problem with it becoming a bullet puller like some of the .357s did? I would think that the .32H&R would be mild enough to not be a problem. Something like that with a 3" barrel would be very nice for IWB or thunderwear carry.

mike

If we the people harbor covetousness in our hearts we will be ruled by thieves.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:19 PM   #667
kcub

http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/sparrow-hawk.asp
Old February 15, 2012, 06:00 AM   #668
silvermane_1

hammerit, you paid $275 for rare s&w 632 cent. in 99% condition, cuz that's what the seller paid for it in '91-92?, think of what $275 in '91-'92 dollars is in todays value due to inflation. i say that you got a great buy.
Old February 15, 2012, 10:51 AM   #669
9mm

CDNN sports is running specials on 327s from Taurus like $220.

I just like to know WHERE do you find this ammo, and how much is it.
Old February 15, 2012, 12:16 PM   #670
Sevens

CDNN has been absolutely liquidating those Taurus .327, but a NOTE of caution:

The .327 Federal Mag, perhaps because of it's high pressure or the burn rate for factory ammo, for whatever reason, makes a tremendously large LEAP in muzzle velocity between 2 and 3 inches of barrel.

To put it another way: .327 is fast & hot from a 3-inch barrel and above, and it ramps up quickly with more barrel as it goes.

However, .327 Federal is comparably anemic from a 2-inch barrel, which is pretty much all the snub Taurus revolvers that CDNN catalogs.

Bottom line, in my own personal opinion: A .327 with a two-inch barrel is a lousy choice for a .327 Federal. For everything that we believe a .327 Federal chambered revolver offers, a two inch barrel negates most all of it.

These are my opinions.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:17 AM   #671
Hammer It

Quote:
Hammer, I like the chocolate airweight. Have you had any problem with it becoming a bullet puller like some of the .357s did? I would think that the .32H&R would be mild enough to not be a problem. Something like that with a 3" barrel would be very nice for IWB or thunderwear carry.

mike

Quote:
hammerit, you paid $275 for rare s&w 632 cent. in 99% condition, cuz that's what the seller paid for it in '91-92?, think of what $275 in '91-'92 dollars is in todays value due to inflation. i say that you got a great buy.

Hello Mike
No, I Haven't had any problems with bullet's pulling. I load all my own .32 H&R Magnum ammo using 85 Grain or 100 Grain XTP bullets and seat them with a Heavy crimp though....I did how ever eliminate the Lawyer lock assembly, if you look close you will see an open plain hole above the lock .

Hello silvermane_1
Yes, I gave the seller just what he asked for on this S&W Centennial being $275.00. I still think he was off in his price of them being at $275.00 in 1991 though, it sounded Real Good to me. I just learned they only made 1035 of these before discontinuing them, so that made the find even greater... Hammer It
Old February 18, 2012, 02:08 PM   #672
FrankenMauser

Sierra shipped some 90 gr JHCs.

So far, I know Midway has them in stock, but I haven't checked other vendors. Take a look around, if you've been waiting for some of these.
Old February 22, 2012, 11:34 AM   #673
Billy Shears

OK, gentlemen, I haven't visited this thread in a while, but am wondering now where we stand. Both of my local stores ALWAYS have .327 ammo in supply, but as best I can tell there still aren't many handguns offered in the caliber.

Correct me if I'm wrong...Ruger offers three models in .327, Smith & Wesson offers one, but both Charter and Taurus have canceled their previous offerings. A couple of high-end custom makers have added .327 offerings to their menus, but that's about it.

Is anyone aware of any upcoming releases?

I really like the versatility of the .327 and have been toying with the idea of another SP-101 in this caliber, but the last three examples I've held were so rough and poorly finished that I've been holding off. Gritty, heavy triggers, lots of machine marks, blah. What's happening in Prescott these days?
Old February 22, 2012, 12:21 PM   #674
gak

Threedogdad said:
OK, gentlemen, I haven't visited this thread in a while, but am wondering now where we stand. Both of my local stores ALWAYS have .327 ammo in supply, but as best I can tell there still aren't many handguns offered in the caliber. Correct me if I'm wrong...Ruger offers three models in .327, Smith & Wesson offers one, but both Charter and Taurus have canceled their previous offerings. A couple of high-end custom makers have added .327 offerings to their menus, but that's about it.Is anyone aware of any upcoming releases?

IIRC, S&W effectively has two--if you count ported and non ported/different barrel lengths of the 632 as different model--I "sorta" do (and favor the idea of the non-ported). Also Freedom Arms, but maybe that belongs in your custom or semi-custom column. Ditto a limited edition USFA Single Action two Christmasses ago, and I think another of their current specialty (new design) SA models.

I've been looking at the 101 as well--if ever a gun and cartridge truly seemed to be designed for one another. Sorry to hear about some fit and finish issues. A friend has one that seems fine in that department. Probably my imagination, but I thought I saw a post (somewhere) suggesting Taurus was only temporarily suspending in prep for a re-intro in longer barrel, etc, but I have no verification (whatsoever) of that.
Old February 22, 2012, 12:24 PM   #675
gak

Threedogdad said:
OK, gentlemen, I haven't visited this thread in a while, but am wondering now where we stand. Both of my local stores ALWAYS have .327 ammo in supply, but as best I can tell there still aren't many handguns offered in the caliber. Correct me if I'm wrong...Ruger offers three models in .327, Smith & Wesson offers one, but both Charter and Taurus have canceled their previous offerings. A couple of high-end custom makers have added .327 offerings to their menus, but that's about it.Is anyone aware of any upcoming releases?

IIRC, S&W effectively has two--if you count ported and non ported/different barrel lengths of the 632 as different model--I "sorta" do (and favor the idea of the non-ported). Also Freedom Arms, but maybe that belongs in your custom or semi-custom column. Ditto a limited edition USFA Single Action .32-20/.327 convertible two Christmasses ago, and I think another of their current specialty (new design) SA models.

I've been looking at the 101 as well--if ever a gun and cartridge truly seemed to be designed for one another. Sorry to hear about some fit and finish issues. A friend has one that seems fine in that department. Probably my imagination, but I thought I saw a post (somewhere) suggesting Taurus was only temporarily suspending in prep for a re-intro in longer barrel, etc, but I have no verification (whatsoever) of that.