The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Yung.gunr

Driving through Utah

Ok, so I live in Arizona where recently it has become legal to carry concealed without having to have a permit. So my question is that while driving into Utah how should I transport the handgun while in Utah. I found the following at their website http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/Fir....html#Carrying

Carrying in Vehicles
A person may not carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle unless they have a valid permit to carry or:

They are at least 18 years old and
Has lawful possession of the vehicle or consent of the person who has lawful possession of the vehicle and
The weapon is not a rifle, shotgun or muzzle-loading rifle
It is lawful for a person with a concealed firearms permit to carry a firearm into a bus terminal.

It is lawful for a person with a concealed firearm permit to board a bus or a train or enter a terminal with a firearm upon their person or effects. This also applies to law enforcement officers or commercial security personnel with firearms used in their employment.

Laws governing the use of concealed firearms differ from state to state. It is important to understand the laws to ensure that your actions are in compliance with Utah law.

Sources: 53-5-704 Division duties - Utah Code ยงยง 23-20-11 et seq., 24-2-17, 76-10-301, 76-10-501 et seq.

So from what I understand if I lock it up in a case unloaded then I should be fine, correct? Would it be ok to have it in the cabin or would I have to have it in the trunk? It just says unloaded from how I read it.

Last edited by Yung.gunr; April 4, 2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Notification status
Old April 4, 2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Don H

Let's simplify it a bit:

A person may not carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle unless they are at least 18 years old and has lawful possession of the vehicle or consent of the person who has lawful possession of the vehicle and the weapon is not a rifle, shotgun or muzzle-loading rifle.

The code states that if you are 18+ years old and legally own the vehicle you're in or have the permission of the owner, you can legally carry a loaded handgun in that car.

The actual code:
Quote:
76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle,
unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle (4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.
Old April 4, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
williamd

Solve your issue by getting a UT carry permit! They are a friendly state.