The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 26, 2008, 11:51 PM   #1
tooldawg99

Scope options (low cost) for AR15's?

I have a S&W M&P15 with a flat-top, but it does have a front site. I purchased a CCA handle/sight so I can shoot it if I don't sell it soon, but I also have a Bushmaster OCR AR15... with no front or rear site.

Surprise!

What are the options for me? I don't need a tactical set-up, but if I cannot sell these AR15's soon, or trade them for a basic Patrolman-type of AR soon, and have to keep them, what are the cheapest options for me to be able to shoot them? The Bushie has NO front and NO rear sight at all. NOTHING!

Cheaper to get an aftermarket front and rear sight that bolt on? The detachable handle won't help me on the bushmaster as there is no front sight on it...or is there a decent ($100) scope i can slide onto the tactical rail and be good to go?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old November 27, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Japle

Any scope for $100 or less will likely have bad glass, won't hold zero, won't have predictable clicks or will break just when you need it most.

Leupold V-1 is about the cheapest scope I'd recommend. You can find the 2-7X with the LR Duplex reticle for under $200 if you look.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:01 AM   #3
sholling

You're cheapest move is going to be to add a front sight to the bushmaster and a flip up rear on the Smith. You can find either for around $100. Decent scopes start around $200 and go way up from there. Decent scope mounts are going to set you back another $50-200 each. If it were me I'd keep the S&W and mount a Troy flip-up rear sight.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
WC145

Try buying used, you'll probably get more for your money but you're still not going to get any decent quality for $100. Plus you need to factor in the cost of rings/mounts.

You might look at red dots instead. I have a Pentax that was about $100 and I've been pleased with it. It's pretty rugged and holds a zero. Plus it'll bolt right on to your rail, no need for mounts or rings.
Old November 27, 2008, 09:23 PM   #5
tooldawg99

Red Dots?

That might be perfect... is this a site that basically puts a red dot at the impact point?

I don't intend to shoot anything further away than 100 yards. More than 100 yards and I can probably get out of dangers way. I like the short barrel for quick presentation at 25-50 yards, so if there is a red dot type of scope, can you suggest where to get them? The local sporting store only has standard scopes, and he said I had to get some adaptors since both my rifles have the Picaninny rail? Not sure where to go, or what price range I am in for relatively short distance red-dotting... again, your expertise is appreciated!