The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Keltyke

Powder Recommendations

I know this has been asked, probably many times - so, my apologies in advance.

I'd like some recommendations for handgun reloading smokeless powder. Criteria:

Handgun cartridges from .380 to .45LC.
Range ammo - no PD use
RN FMJ bullets - medium weights for all calibers
3" - 4" barrels in all calibers
Must burn cleanly

I already have one recommendation for Alliant's Unique.

TIA!
Old October 26, 2008, 01:16 PM   #2
dwhite

Powder recommendation

Hodgdon Universal Clays.

Burns clean. Broad spectrum of use.

Unique, even new "cleaner burning", is still kind of dirty at low pressure but cleans up at higher pressures .

Universal is cleaner overall though. Charges with Universal run about 90% the weight of Unique charges. More loads per pound.

All the Best,
D White
Old October 26, 2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Sevens

When I started reloading (and for a good handful of years) I always tried to keep my powder stable in check. Go with as few powders as absolutely possible, hoping to get multiple calibers and uses out of a single powder.

At some point I "saw the light" and it occurred to me just how silly it was to do that. A pound of powder costs me anywhere from $13-$22 and (especially in handgun rounds), it lasts a helluva long time. Not only is it cheap, but the versatility is enormous when I have a nice selection of powders. It stores forever and I can get many, many loaded rounds from just one pound.

Now, if I grab an odd bullet weight or a pick up a new caliber on a whim, I've already got a good stash of powder to choose from. And not only will I have a powder to load whatever comes up, I typically have at least 3 or 4 powders than I can try. This way, I can compare loads from different powders and see if I can get better results with one over another.

Sure, I can load some 10mm rounds with Bullseye. But it's not ideal and I have plenty of other uses for Bullseye. So I load a lot of 10 with Blue Dot, Power Pistol and AA#7, and use Bullseye for some 9mm, .38 Special and .45 rounds.

You may find one powder that can load a myriad of different cartridges, but there exists nothing that is the best for each. That's a fine road if it's what you want, but I used to think it was what I wanted, and I'm glad I realize now that it's not. I keep a dozen different powders on hand and these days I always keep a mental note of the "next" powder that I'd like to give a twirl. I'll pick one up if the price is right, or if I just feel like making a purchase that day.

OKAY! I can't imagine that helped you much. Well, not now, anyway. But it's on topic so it's relevant. Also, FWIW, I also don't know of a powder that can do so many things YET do almost nothing very well, or at least not as good as something else that's just as common-- and that powder is Unique.

Unique is far, FAR from clean burning. It doesn't meter very well. It uses somewhat heavier charges than other powders, so you use more of it. And in all the mainstream calibers I've used it in, it rarely seems to return the best accuracy or performance. In other words, if someone told me I had to get rid of one of my powders and never use it again, I'd hand him my can of Alliant Unique.
Old October 27, 2008, 06:20 PM   #4
dwhite

Powder recommendation

I only load .38 Special / .357 Magnum and .40 S&W in handguns right now. I'm trying to pare down to 2 powders. Most of what I do is range shooting anyway.

I've been using 700X in 38 with 158 gr. LSWC bullets. It works well. Low charge weights, lots of rounds per pound but its not useful beyond light loads. I've started using Universal Clays in the 38 and 40 with very good results. Unique could work but it doesn't meter well at all.

I've used Blue-Dot in the 357 and 40 with good results but Blue-Dot doesn't meter as well as I'd like. I'm thinking of replacing it with HS-6 or Longshot. Neither HS6 or Longshot will give me the hand-numbing full power loads h110, 296, or 2400 will in the 357 but either of them will fit my needs.
Old October 27, 2008, 07:06 PM   #5
BigJimP

Hodgdon TiteGroup ( I load it in 9mm, .40, .45 acp, .357 mag and .44 mag ). It meters real consistently / burns very cleanly.
Old October 28, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
AlaskaMike

If you're looking for one powder to cover the entire spectrum from .380 ACP to .45 Colt I'd recommend Alliant Power Pistol hands down. It's a little slower than Unique but much cleaner burning. It can also be used in slightly higher pressure applications than Unique. By that, I mean you can get near-magnum velocities with it, where Unique would start to give you dangerous pressures. It also meters through my Uniflow much, much better.

If you want to branch out to two or even three powders, then you increase your options tremendously. I think with W231 (on the faster end), W296 (on the slower end) and Power Pistol, I'd be a very happy camper. The reality of it though is that in addition to those I also use Clays, 2400 and 4227. I doubt I'll ever pare my powder choices down to just one or two.

Mike
Old October 28, 2008, 07:09 PM   #7
ro2

I run HI SKOR 700x or 800x in my .40 and .45 seems to be pretty nice
Old October 29, 2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Pathfinder45

One powder?

I'm hopelessly experimental. Just one powder will simply not do for me. But if you insist then I'd have to recommend Hodgdon's Titegroup based upon the parameters you mentioned.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:09 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

nope

Alliant Power Pistol.
Alternative: Hodgdon Universal Clays ("Universal").

(Unique, even 'new', is still filthy; Titegroup, unless driven hard, often soots heavily; 700X meters fer crap; 800X can act spikey; Blue Dot / Longshot / AA5 / others all may 'work' but fail in some way to meet stated parameters).

Disclaimer: I currently stock only 24 (or 25; I ain't gettin' up to count) "pistol" powders.
Old October 30, 2008, 07:18 PM   #10
30Cal

Winchester 231...works in all of 'em

I've loaded for pistol since I was in high school...graduated in 1964! I've used a lot of bullseye, but felt limited in velocities. Unique...great in shotgun as well and even in rifle if you're into cast bullet loads but it's dirty...dirty...dirty. Blue Dot, Red Dot, ... they've got measuring issues, and Red Dot is another Unique...dirty. SR4756,...limited in application but really great in .32-20. SR7625...same issues...limited use. Win 296, 4227, and 2400...pretty much limited to the higher velocities. AAC 7 and 9 had some usefulness but my efforts have been all over the map over the years and they're limited like many of the preceding. Much of the short guns that I've kept over the years have some age on them...the oldest is a 1920 Luger in .30 cal, but many of the others are up in their 60's so I don't push the velocities.

So for what I do.........I really like Win 231...both the old canister grade that seemed somewhere between Bulllseye and Unique in speed, and the newer version which is slower, closer to Unique. It meters well through the RCBS and Dillion measures, and burns cleanly and it will work for mid level loads in every thing I'm still interested in: .32 ACP, .32 Long, .32 H&R, .32-20, .38 Spl and .357 Mag, 9mm, .38-40, 40 S&W, .41 Mag, .44-40 and .44 Spl, .45 LC,& .45 ACP and Auto-Rim.

Here's a cpl to start you off: 5.0 gr in the .45 ACP/Auto-Rims, and 9mm; 7.5 gr in .44 Spl and Mag, also in .45 LC.

I've found that with a little experimentation, I could a good to great load easily with 231...and that is one that'll shoot into less than 2" at 25 yds from a sitting position with the piece extended between my knees...great eye relief that way for my 62 yo eyes over iron sights. Yep...that's the way ALL sidearms were meant to be shot...if you need glass...it's time to hang up your spurs. Win 231 is a great powder guys; one well worth your interest.
Regards, Rodfac....30Cal's Dad
Old October 30, 2008, 07:24 PM   #11
zxcvbob

If I had to pick just one powder: Bullseye.
If I had to pick just 2 powders: Red Dot (or Promo) and AA-7.

So why do I have 15 different powders?