The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2002, 02:33 PM   #1
BlackJack

Slugs from a 28" bbl?

Just got a new Remington 870 Express Magnum with a 28" bbl and a modified choke (screw in). Can slugs be fired through that barrel without screwing up the choke? If not, is there a screw in "rifled choke" that should be used with them, or will the IC choke handle slugs? I ask because, although the 28" bbl is mainly for bird hunting and similar shotgunning tasks, I want to use this gun for IPSC (with an extended tube of course) and occassionally slugs will be included in the COF. Thanks in advance for any advice/experience.
Old January 9, 2002, 02:58 PM   #2
Kharn

Thats a mightly long barrel for CQB-type stuff, is it ISPC legal? You might want to look into getting a 20" barrel with rifle sights and improved choke for buckshot and slug use.

Kharn
Old January 9, 2002, 04:30 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It'll work, probably. Modified seems to be the borderline choke for slugs. Some work well with a particular slug, some do not. It won't mess up the choke, it just might not group well with anything.

There is also a rifled choke. I use one for deer. Prob is, they really disperse all shot. A rifled choke is slug dedicated.

Try some groups with each, and see what happens. Maybe a buddy or your will lend you a couple tubes and you can try them out before spending any money.

Re slugs,I'd start with the excellent Winchester 1 oz HP and various Brennekes.

Been a while since I shot IPSC. IME,open chokes were the best choice for most COFs. I'd go down past IC, tho,and get either a Cylinder or skeet choke.

There's old threads on bead sights and slugs, research will give you lots of input.

HTH....
Old January 9, 2002, 08:14 PM   #4
BlackJack

Thanks Dave. Since I will only have to shoot one or two slugs per match, and those at close enough range that they're pretty easy to hit, I'll just stick with the mod choke for now. The 1oz Win slugs are what I'm already using anyway. Again thanks.
Old January 10, 2002, 06:27 PM   #5
Indy_SIG

I wouldn't shoot slugs through an IC barrel. Buy a rifled barrel...that's what they're for. Remington makes a 20" rifled barrel (aka deer barrel), with rifle sights, that would be a much better choice.
Old January 10, 2002, 06:50 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The rifled barrels work best with sabot slugs - they tend to lead up horribly with foster type slugs. Smoothbore barrels work well with foster type slugs (none sabot). I had/have an 1100 with a modified choke that grouped the Winchester slugs nicely. The real key is to get a sight set-up that works - the clamp on style (if you have a vent rib barrel) work well for the money.

The problem is that under any stress, we all tend to move our heards around a bit and spoil the accuracy with a bead sighted SG.

Giz