The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 26, 2017, 05:00 PM   #26
SHR970

Quote:
Cheapshooter wrote: The low cost part being overlooked by those suggesting a 22 Magnum, or centerfire rounds.
I myself did NOT overlook that part. Yes 22 Magnum is more expensive than BULK 22 but as this is to be a DEFENSE weapon I weighed the cost vs. deliverable power.

Yes, the mere PRESENTATION of a gun might diffuse the need to actually discharge it to end the situation. If it is NOT take all the power you can get and handle. The recoil of a 22 Magnum is not anywhere close to that of a 38.
Old May 26, 2017, 06:16 PM   #27
Cheapshooter

Quote:
(he) wants the 22 lcr for low cost shooting and recoil.
I take this to mean he wants the gun foe recreational shooting as well as defense. Not a run a cylinder full through it, load it up, and rarely shoot it again. If his fixed income would allow for enough magnum ammo to accomidate his desired amount of shooting, fine.
Then too, 22WMR was even harder to find, and off the shelves longer than Longrifle during the Ammogeddon.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 26, 2017, 06:47 PM   #28
22-rimfire

The key with 22 ammo is reliability. Choose what is reliable in his LCR. Even as a woods gun. it will still be a nice companion should something happen with wild dogs or something similar. That's rare in my area. Bears.... oh my.... I'd still be okay with the 22 for the occasional black bear. They generally want nothing to do with people although they sometimes tolerate humans around when they are foraging in the woods.
Old May 26, 2017, 06:58 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Jeff Cooper, Mr .45, Mr 10mm, said, "You can carry a .22 for self defense when you can hit a tennis ball from anywhere on the court."

Paris Theodore, daddy of the ASP, carried a Walther .22. "If you can shoot, a .22 is as good as anything short of a supersonic telephone pole."
Old May 29, 2017, 10:34 AM   #30
Dave T

Quote:
...run a cylinder full through it, load it up, and rarely shoot it again.
If that is the OP's or anyone else's intent, they probably shouldn't carry a firearm.

If you're going to carry a gun you have a responsibility to develop sufficient skill that you can defend yourself and also, not be a threat to bystanders.

Dave
Old May 29, 2017, 01:17 PM   #31
seeker_two

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=11

I'm with Stephanie B on this one. If CCW isn't on the table, a 10\22 is a much better choice...far more controllable and potent. If both are on the table, get the LCR AND 10/22.