The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 6, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
sixplus1

.454 Super Redhawk - Love it!

It's always a little spooky stepping up the recoil when you haven't been there. I got the Ruger .454 Super Redhawk, 7 1/2 inch, for a specific purpose, bear defense. The trip into bear country fell through so, do I have something I don't need? the answer is no, I now have something I love. Thankfully, I got it used for $650. I figured it hasn't been shot all that much. Ammo is too expensive and hard to eject. I put in another $130 in gunsmith work to help with the ejection issue.

I spent a considerable effort finding ammo, .45 and .454. Where I live, you all just can't walk into a store and buy .454 except this one shop that had Winchester 260 gr. that specs out at about 1800 ft/sec. And I web-shopped some Buffalo Bore. Easier to pick up lots of .45 colt, including .45 +P.

Well, have to admit the .454 kicks, first time, it beat the hell out of my hand. But I have figured out how to hold better and now I could shoot it a lot more. The .454 also emits an extra shock wave that is felt up the firing line. For me, this is a fun gun to shoot.

So, this revolver shoots a spectrum of ammo from low recoil cowboy load .45 to regular load .45, to +P which gets into the .44 Mag range, to another spectrum of .454. I like that kind of versatility.

A semi-auto needs to stay in a certain power range to maintain the recoil balance. So, I was wondering what to do with my Sig P220, which now seems so low powered. But every gun has a purpose and so does the .45 semi. I'll keep it.

Next I want to scope the .454 because it is really designed for longer range shots. I am figuring on something like a 2X6 Leupold. The collection just seems to grow a little over time.
Old July 6, 2014, 08:04 PM   #2
Captains1911

I have a Burris 2x20mm scope on mine and it's perfect. I wouldn't want much more magnification on a handgun. Also might want to check out Buffalo Bore 45 Colt ammo, they make some pretty hot stuff that most other guns can't even handle.

Old July 6, 2014, 08:05 PM   #3
BOBA FETT

i had the same gun in .480, it was fun but i had no real use for it so i sold it...on the other hand,i wish i had the super redhawk alaskan in .480...thats a gun thats in high demand...
Old July 6, 2014, 11:03 PM   #4
sixplus1

Captains1911 , what kind of zero do you have on the Burris?

It must be tough to take that recoil.
Old July 7, 2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Captains1911

Mine is zeroed at 50 yards, which is about as far as I ever shoot it. Yes the Burris scope has held up well.
Old July 7, 2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Darker Loaf

I've wanted one for a long time in .454. I've never seen one in a gunshop, only the .44 mag versions. I really want to get one and get it cut for moon clips for .45 ACP for cheapness/practice/plinking, and get it manga ported to reduce the recoil on the .454 loads.

But admittedly, that gun is fairly far down on my list. Nice to hear you like yours!
Old July 7, 2014, 02:08 PM   #7
madmo44mag

Sure funny how time changes ones wants.
There was a time I wanted a 454 so bad I could taste it and today if a deal came along I would buy it but its no longer on the I have to have list.
As I have gotten older and I suffered a pretty nasty hand injury some years ago 44 mag is about all I care to shoot these days.
From time to time someone offers me a 454,480 or a 500 and I'll take a few rounds but man how it hurts afterwards.
Enjoy my friend that's one nice shooter.
Old July 7, 2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Ruger45LC

The SRH 454 is a fine gun, I've had two of them and both were very nice. I sold them because at the time I figured that I didn't need them. Later on I realized that if I only owned guns I need then my collection would be mighty slim. I've since picked up another 454, a BFR 7.5" and it's great. I only got it over the SRH because I love single action revolvers, but don't think I'm not tempted to pick up another SRH 454!
Old July 7, 2014, 11:33 PM   #9
22-rimfire

Glad you are enjoying your 454 SRH. I have a 480 SRH and a BFR in 475/480. That is about all I need although I would probably buy a Ruger Alaskan in 480 if I ever saw one for a fair price. I have a 2x leupold on my SRH and a red dot on my BFR.
Old July 8, 2014, 06:05 PM   #10
sixplus1

About that recoil.... this might be a case where someone with big hands has an advantage. I have medium size hands and it did hurt after about six shots of .454 fired.

However, I developed a technique of not wrapping my thumb around the grip... I hold equally with both hands so the recoil tries to push my hands apart instead of ripping my thumb off. It works! Recoil is a funny thing... you get used to it over time.

I also learned not to wrap thumbs.... the recoil sends the hammer back down on a wrapped thumb. So, I grip with both hands, thumbs tucked down and out of the way.

I also learned that with the hammer cocked for a single action style shot, to keep my finger off the trigger until I am on target. Sometimes lowering the revolver to target level.... the weight of the pistol in motion can cause the trigger finger to bounce off the trigger, resulting in a premature firing.

After working through all of this, it becomes fun to shoot.
Old July 8, 2014, 08:00 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Put 95 rounds through a test Super Red .454 a week ago.

Key is don't lock wrists or elbows, and don't fight the recoil.

Wasn't very unpleasant at all, shot five one-handed to see how controllable it was.

If I were 20 years younger, I'd probably keep the thing.
Denis
Old July 8, 2014, 09:57 PM   #12
22-rimfire

Gloves (or A glove) help too. The first time I shot the 480 SRH, the web of my right hand was all bloody. I lowered my grip just a bit and don't have this problem any more. But the glove helps too.

If you mount a scope, loctite your screws (rings). Hand tight will loosen after a few rounds from the recoil or at least they did with factory 480 Ruger loads.

According to Max Prasac, the pain starts with the 454 Casull as you move up in power. If you don't have his book, "Big-Bore Revolvers", I recommend it. Lots of good information about big bore revolvers and shooting them.

If you have an Academy store in your area, they frequently carry 454 Casull ammo as does Sportsman's Warehouse.
Old July 10, 2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Clark

I load up 45 auto rim and 45 Colt to 44 mag levels.
If I had a 454 I would load down to 44 mag levels.
A man has got to know his limitations.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 10, 2014, 02:35 AM   #14
codefour

I have a SRH in 454 Casull with a 7.5 inch barrel. Nice revolver. I had a problem with light primer strikes though. I cannot load with CCI primers. I stick to Federal Small Rifle primers (usually Magnum). Just a heads up.

I also have a 460 S&W Mag X-frame in a 8 3/8 inch barrel. With both loaded with a stout charge of H110 and the Hornady 300g XTP Mag bullet, the SRH is much more brutal.! I do not remember the exact H110 charges, but they were close to max. I don't know why, but the SRH is just nastier to shoot. In fact I down load the Casull with a moderate charge of Alliant 2400 with a MBC 300g TCFP. It comes out at 1450 fps, still plenty powerful.

But I won't get rid if the SRH. I really like the Casull cartridge. I have a 6.5 inch BFR in 454 Casull on order at my LGS.. I later learned the 460 only gets you longer range.