The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 26, 2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Coach Z

Rings for mounting Millet scope on 700

I'm getting ready to order a new remington 700 SPS in .308 I've decided on a Millet TRS-1 to start as the optic. The purpose of the rifle is to learn a bit more about shooting distance (only 200-500yds max)

I'm a bit stumped by all the options for scope rings for this platform in addition to one piece or two piece mounts??? Can one of you guys that have been down this road before shed some light on it?

The second question I have is should I let my local smith do the mounting or should I invest in the tools (which ones) to mount it myself. I'm very mechanically inclined, I can rebuild an engine....

Thanks!
Old September 26, 2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Jerry45

You shouldn’t need any “special” tools. Flat bald screwdriver, Allen wrench maybe torx drive and nut drive/crescent wrench. An inch-pound torque wrench is nice but not a necessity. People will tell you you need big buck rings. The rings on the rifle pictured below cost me $9.99 at opticsplanet http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/Screws+RGWM-30M4/ . The rifle below shoots ½” holes at 100 yards and I can’t shoot worth a poop. Actually the rings pictured on the rifle are high rings. I’ve installed medium height rings, which is what I linked. The medium gives a more comfortable and better line of sight.

700 BDL 30/06

That's 3 shots at 100 on a REALL good day.

Last edited by Jerry45; September 26, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old December 5, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Coach Z

Dredging up an old post (but it's my post)

Wondering if anyone had any more input on this one? I'm still struggling to decide on which rings to use! Thanks guys
Old December 5, 2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Fleet

Well, you're already at 9 pounds with no mounts or rings. So, are you going to hunt with it (and need to keep weight down), or just punch paper? A one piece mount will weigh more. Steel will weigh more. Do you care what they cost? I like Conetrol for the streamlining, but not cheap. Weaver's are cheap and functional, but glunky.
Old December 6, 2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Coach Z

This is purely a range toy so weight isn't a factor. Cost doesn't bother me too much either. I'm initially setting it uo for 100-300 yes but would eventually like to reach out further with better glass and a new stock.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:05 AM   #6
Nathan

With that weight of scope and precision shooting you want to do, I would get a typical tactical mount. I.e. 1 pc base, bedded to the receiver, and good rings which will take and hold torque. Mine is all steel from TPS. Warne and many others are good too.

Your basic Weaver mount and rings, will likely leave you unhappy at some point...same for dovtail mounts.

Maybe I'm a little overboard since this sounds like a range gun.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Coach Z

So you're suggesting a large one picatinny rail and seperate rings or an all in one base with rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Fleet

Take a look at these:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...TACTICAL-RINGS
Old December 9, 2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Coach Z

I ordered up those rings and mount. Pricy but I stick with buy once cry once and it should pay off if I start to reach out a bit with this gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 27, 2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Coach Z

Can't wait! The new rifle is sitting at my FFL and the rings and glass are in my living room. Flying home in an hour picking up the rifle and then spending the afternoon playing erector set for big kids putting it all together.
Old December 27, 2011, 04:30 PM   #11
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Millett Rings

Millett makes several styles of rings too . I like the Millett Angle-Loc myself , they allow you to set your windage with the mount , front and rear . You should be able to get by with just about anything , you have a light recoiling .308 , so you don't need super rugged or anything .
Old December 31, 2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Coach Z

DONE, now I need some range time