The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 6, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1
napp

My First BP Revolver

It appears that my first BP revolver is destined to be a 1860 Colt instead of a 1858 Remington. As posted earlier, I ordered the Remington as my first BP purchase. A couple of days later, I submitted another order for the 1860 Colt.

Owing to the mysteries of shipping, known only to Cabela's, the Colt shipped two days before the Remington. UPS tracking shows that the Colt is in town and "out for delivery" today. The Remington that I ordered first is lagging behind with a projected delivery date of 8 Dec.

It's not a major thing. I just thought that it was unusual since both guns were shown to be in stock; and they are shipping from the same origin.
Old December 6, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Napp

Another shooter who bought the five and a half inch barrel Remington got a back ordered status with a delivery date of Jan 25.

Cabela's sales are popular.
Old December 6, 2010, 11:55 AM   #3
wogpotter

You poor devil, how you're going to suffer
Old December 6, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4
napp

Doc,
I already had put the 5 1/2" barrel Remy in my shopping cart before I noticed it was backordered. I called Cabela's and was told it would be the end of Dec before they received a new shipment. Even then, they didn't sound too sure of themselves. Patience is not one of my strong points; so I ordered the 1858 New Army instead.

wogpotter,
Thanks for understanding how traumatic this is. I hope the Colt doesn't show up with one of those frozen wedges that some people have received. I have prepared myself for that....just in case.

Old December 6, 2010, 03:47 PM   #5
napp

Got the Colt

The 1860 Colt was dropped off a few minutes ago. The action is tight and smooth; and the trigger pull seems light and crisp. Fit and finish looks good from the outside. I haven't checked the tightness of the wedge yet.

Here are the obligatory pics.

Old December 6, 2010, 05:31 PM   #6
wogpotter

Ah, the "Birmingham Screwdriver", excellent. Always use the right tool for the job I say.
Old December 6, 2010, 05:45 PM   #7
junkman_01

Got the Colt

napp,

Very nice. The grips look just like the ones on the recent Pietta 1860 Sheriff Model I got from Cabelas. They are some light colored wood stained dark. I replaced mine with walnut grips from Taylors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1860_Sheriff_right_01a.jpg (22.5 KB, 222 views)
Old December 6, 2010, 06:10 PM   #8
napp

The good news is that the wedge popped right out with the second tap from a small rawhide hammer. The bad news is that the nipple wrench I ordered from Cabela's doesn't even come close to fitting. The outside diameter is much too large to fit inside the nipple recesses of the cylinder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a nipple wrench that works for the 1860? The more I read, the more confusing it gets. Also, does Pietta use the same size nipple on the 1858 Remington? I had hoped to be able to use the same wrench on both guns. I can buy two more if necessary; but it would be nice to know what I really need to order.

I don't want to fire the gun until I have disassembled and cleaned it. It appears to have been dipped in a bucket of oil at the factory.
Old December 6, 2010, 06:24 PM   #9
darkgael

Wrench

Try Track of the Wolf. Part #NW 130 or NW 140.
Old December 6, 2010, 06:42 PM   #10
junkman_01

Best nipple wrench

Make your own from a small socket (3/16th works). Here's the one I made. It works on all my C&B revolvers (Colts and Remmie).....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3624a.JPG (151.7 KB, 216 views)
Old December 6, 2010, 07:14 PM   #11
napp

junkman,
I like the way you think. Not only will it be the first nipple wrench I've ever made, it will be the first time I can ever remember using a 3/16" socket for anything.
Old December 6, 2010, 08:27 PM   #12
starbuck125

sweet colt

NAPP,
sweet colt you got there. i'm waiting for the 5 1/2 " 58 rem now. no telling when i'll get it . but it'll be worth the wait.....
Old December 6, 2010, 09:01 PM   #13
napp

Thanks, starbuck. I'm pleased with it.

When you do get your Remington, I know I'll be sick about not ordering one at the same time you did. I really like that 5 1/2" barrel. As I said in one of your earlier posts, "I will own one someday."
Old December 6, 2010, 11:15 PM   #14
starbuck125

Napp,
i first checked them out a few days earlier, they still had them, but i messed around and didn't order one then..
ya, i believe the shorter barrel will be better , at least for me. i've wanted one for awhile now, later i'm planning on getting one of those 51 navy marshall with the fluted cylinder.
Old December 7, 2010, 06:14 PM   #15
napp

junkman,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope it wasn't patented.

Old December 8, 2010, 01:57 PM   #16
orangello

Nice revolver!

The nipple wrench makes me wonder: If necessity is the mother of invention, who the father is?
Old December 8, 2010, 04:23 PM   #17
napp

orangello,

In this case, it was Mr. Dremel.
Old December 8, 2010, 04:52 PM   #18
wogpotter

Quote:
If necessity is the mother of invention, who the father is?
Pop tart?
Old December 8, 2010, 07:44 PM   #19
robhof

robhof

Nice pistols Be sure to use a quality socket, I used a Harbor frt one and the ends opened up under pressure, sprung for a Snap-on and works fine so far.
Old December 8, 2010, 08:42 PM   #20
napp

robhof,

I plan to make another one from a quality socket. The one shown here is from a foreign country that owns most of the U.S. national debt. I used it as a practice run; because it was in my tool box. It worked fine on the Colt because the nipples weren't tight/frozen. I suspect it would not hold up to rough usage.

As my Momma always said, "You get what you pay for."