The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 21, 2008, 08:39 PM   #1
ovrmydeadbdy

How do you call the yotes in?

I just wanted to know how everyone else calls in the Coyotes.. tips and tricks are all welcomed here. I'm new to the sport!
Old December 21, 2008, 09:30 PM   #2
troy_mclure

depends on the laws of your state.

ive used a live chicken, staked to a post.
electronic calls i downloaded to my ipod, and played thru external speakers.
dead rabbit, w/ a mouth squeal call.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 21, 2008, 09:38 PM   #3
JasonG

I use a wounded sheep mouth call.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old December 21, 2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Tim Burke

Tactics & Training?
Old December 21, 2008, 09:55 PM   #5
kraigwy

I dont have to call them, they come in on their own to eat my chickens.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 21, 2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Dwight55

A buddy of mine said he used 6 week old kittens for bait, . . . I could only do that if I had it safe in a cage, . . . but I don't know if that would work out.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 21, 2008, 11:16 PM   #7
armedtotheteeth

I went to Varmint als web page http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm and downloaded his free calls. ( they are towards the bottom of this link) I burned them to a CD with 1 minute of silence between tracks. I just drive my truck out to where i have seen or heard yotes. Open the Doors on the truck and let it blast.
Old December 22, 2008, 05:51 AM   #8
Daryl

There are lots of ways to call coyotes. Most of the above are likely the least effective methods I've ever heard of.

Sure they can work, I suppose, but it's not all that likely to produce a high number of coyotes.

I started calling back in around 1976 when I was a kid. I hunted with a couple of mouth calls hanging around my neck, and a .243 Win to shoot them with. I wore good camo, and I killed an awful lot of coyotes.

Set up, call for about 10-40 seconds with the mouth call, then wait a minute or so. Then repeat that sequence, more or less, over a period of about 15-20 minutes. If nothing shows up, go a mile or so, set up, and call again.

With a mouth call, try to mimic a histercal baby crying. I try to make my call sound like a rabbit that something got ahold of, but can't quite kill it. I'll get the call screaming one second, whimpering the next, and put some crying into it too. Believe me, it drives coyotes crazy.

When you set up, sit in front of a bush, clump of grass, rocks, or whatever to break up your outline. Wear good camoflage (but you don't have to go all out. I use day-desert military fatiques and they work great).

Pay attention to the wind. Coyotes coming to a call will oft-times circle downwind. This may or may not be because they suspect a shooter to be there. Coyotes naturally hunt with their nose, and if they don't know exactly where you are, they'll circle downwind to catch the scent of what they're looking for. You can't stop them from trying to do this, so try to set up so that you or a calling buddy can shoot that direction. Forget about cover scents. I've even used skunk scent, and they'll still smell you if they get downwind.

Over the years, I've used electronic calls of various flavors. They'll call coyotes well enough. I don't think you have to spend big bucks on a caller though. A walkman type tape player plugged into a horn type speaker will work pretty well. I'm convinced I can outcall the e-callers I've used using mouth blown calls, but I have a lot of experience with them.

Calling coyotes should be a learning process. The more you do it, the more you can learn from your own experience. Going at it casually (read sloppy) can be entertaining, but it won't generally produce very many coyotes. Dumb coyotes don't last long. They either get killed, or they get an education.

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; December 22, 2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Daryl, one of us has been reading the other's mail!

I watch the wind, and try to set up where Ol' Wily is sorta forced to come in crosswind. I've noticed that no matter what direction they come from, coming to the sound, they'll generally try that circle to get downwind for the final approach.

Something for folks to think about: Don't shine the light directly at the coyote after you've picked up his eyes. Use the edge of the light, just enough to get the eye-shine. You don't like looking right into a Q-Beam or Streamlight; neither does he. Also, I've found that intermittent shining is better than keeping the light on him.
Old December 22, 2008, 04:05 PM   #10
jckeffer

An inexpensive but very effective call I've used is a balloon. No kidding, just blow up the balloon and pinch the neck. Let the air out so it squeals like an injured rabbit. I used to raise domestic rabbits and still hunt wild rabbits and the balloon can sound so much like a injured rabbit its indistinguishable fom the real thing. They're cheap and easy to carry and require little or no skill to master.
Old December 22, 2008, 06:45 PM   #11
Daryl

Art,

The only difference here is that we can't legally hunt them at night. I'd be a rookie calling at night, even though I've been calling in the daylight for many years. I usually hunt the mornings and evenings. I usually call more cats in the evenings, a lot of times on the last stand before dark.

I've had days when coyotes came in all day long, but they're rare.

Daryl
Old December 23, 2008, 08:55 AM   #12
MrClean

"Heeeeere yote yote yote.... C'mere boy..... "

Repeat if necessary.

Only ones I ever called in were w/ a wounded rabbit call and a mouse squeaker.

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old December 24, 2008, 11:17 AM   #13
Chinny33

Electronic Caller

FoxPro FX5, its the ONLY way to fly.
it weighs less than my ruger redhawk 44mag, so its not bad at all.

I have NEVER had trouble calling in yotes from MILES away, just make sure you dont smell, and DONT MOVE.

Best thing about an electronic caller is that you can change the call with a switch of a button, just in case they are not hungry for one of the sounds.

ALSO, you get to setup the caller AWAY from your shooting position, so the yote will have its eyes fixed on the caller and not on the shooter. Also helps with the Mtn. Lions and Bears, here in CA.

Merry Christmas!
Proverbs 27:12
Old December 27, 2008, 11:03 AM   #14
UniversalFrost

dying rabbit with a mouth call has worked wonders for me. mix in one of the moving/twitching furry creature tail things they sell at cabelas and this drives the yotes nuts. they come in to the sound and when they see the twiching tail thing they start running to it. I usually nail them uner 50yds and with smaller caliber guns (like 17hmr, 22 wmr, or 22lr and my favorite 218 bee) but i drag along a shotgun with an extra full choke and buck shot for the really close shots or for unwanted visitors like badgers, skunks, possums that I want to take out without worrying about ******* them off instead of killing them.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green