The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
TFL4L

Kinetic bullet puller and damaged bullets?

For those using the kinetic (hammer) style bullet pullers: how often do you get damaged bullets or case mouths using this method?
Old October 8, 2008, 12:14 PM   #2
snuffy

Never. I put a foam earplug in the bottom, it prevents the soft lead tips, or plastic tips from getting damaged. Neck damage? Nope!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 8, 2008, 12:30 PM   #3
tom234

My RCBS kenetic puller has foam/rubber to dampen the bullet so no damage. If you use a collet type puller on lead bullets they will be damaged.
Old October 8, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
BigJimP

Foam in the bottom prevents bullet damage / occasionally, I will see some marks on bullet base where it was crimped / coating was scratched a little - but I can't remember the last time I tossed a bullet out ( but I've only been reloading for about 40years ...).

As far as case problems - its usually a case problem / crack, a bulge that didn't come out during resizing, etc that is the reason the bullet has to be pulled - so I usually toss the case. But I've never seen a case damaged by a bullet puller either.
Old October 8, 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
TFL4L

Thanks for the replies.

The instances where I had heard of case neck (mouth?) damage caused by the kinetic puller was when the bullet would actually bounce back (after being dislodged) with enough force to nick the mouth of the case it had just left.

I supposed with some kind of padding at the end of the puller (ear plug, foam, etc) it would prevent the bounce back.
Old October 8, 2008, 07:39 PM   #6
amamnn

You should find in the instructions that several lighter hits are recommended over a few heavy ones. That way, you don't get the rebounding bullets and case mouth denting.