The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 7, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1
TFL4L

Hornady Cam-lock bullet puller: work with Lee Hand Press?

The Hornady puller is a press-mounted "die"-style puller. Will this work in the Lee Hand Press?

Thanks!
Old October 7, 2008, 05:44 PM   #2
wncchester

I haven't tried it but I see no reason why it won't work fine. I find that press awkward to use but it works well enough at the range. And for those who lack space for a permanant set-up.
Old October 8, 2008, 12:00 PM   #3
TFL4L

I went straight to the source and wrote Hornady's technical department--they got back to me and they said that it would *not* work. Bummer.
Old October 8, 2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

The puller just holds the bullets in place while you lower the press ram. That lowering is what actually pulls the bullet out, and you have to be able to apply considerable opening force on some rounds to get the bullet out. I keep a Lee Challenger press on a small stand just for this kind of odd job. Inexpensive and works fine. If your budget or space is too tight for a bench mount press, get a plastic kinetic bullet puller for $15 or so from Midway.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 8, 2008, 03:06 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

I've used the Hornady cam-lock puller on a Lee hand press. It works, but it is awkward, needing a third hand. One to hold the press, one to work the press lever, and a third to work the cam-lock lever.

As suggested, you could buy a cheap Lee C press and the Hornady puller for not too much $$.

Andy