The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 30, 2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Trout Hunter

Grandpas gun....

My first post here......

Got to hunt with Gramps when I was younger. He carried an old side by side that was later entrusted to me. (my dad found it when we emptied his house to sell it. I was 34 at the time.) I just dug it out of my closet and would like to shoot it. (there is more to this story.)

The Gun is a Lefever Nitro Special in 12 guage. Side by side. It fits me perfectly and felt like mine when I first picked it up. As Gramps carried that exact gun when we hunted together, I'd like to shoot it as well. Its not a collectors item by any means and I think he'd rather I use it than hang it on the wall. (which I'll do in between shoots/hunts.)

Fast forward..... I had a friend who is far more versed in guns than I go through it. We deemed it safe to shoot. The only issue is its hard to open?
Went to the local sporting clays range (5 stand) and toted that with me. I have never shot it before, I have also never shot at anything moving before, certainly not clay pigeons! I was excited! First bird..... forgot the safety. They all new I was a total rookie and gave me the bird again...... BANG! first shot with his gun and I break my first ever clay pigeon! Man was I stoked.

the gun hung up and was really difficult to open after that. I ended up firing the other round and then having to break it open on my thigh. Its going to a gunsmith soon I hope but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?
The firing pin on one side seems to stick out a bit. Is that normal?

Thanks for any help. I ended that day using a rental browning o/u that was too long a pull for me and not comfortable at all. I broke a total of 12 out of 50 which is more than I thought I'd do. No training, just point and shoot. I want to learn way more about this sport!
Old July 31, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2
Slopemeno

I had a 20 gauge Nitro Special, and LOVED it. Great, light, super-fast handling shotgun.

Let me guess, its the right side firing pin that seems to be "in" a little more? Mine had the set screw that retains the firing pin back out, and the firing pin tied up the action. I'd treat that lefever with kid gloves, as parts are very few and far between, and not too many people these days have had one apart.

Take care of it, and if you get hooked on sporting clays, spoil yourself and get a more "disposeable" gun to use.
Old July 31, 2007, 12:19 AM   #3
Rimrod

Quote:
I broke a total of 12 out of 50 which is more than I thought I'd do.
I found it's easier to sneak up on them while their still sleeping in the box and blast them all to pieces with one shot.
Old July 31, 2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Jeff Mulliken

It shouold not be hard to open whether empty or after firing.

Get it to a good gunsmith that has experience with side by sides. The firing pin is not rebounding properly. The hard opening when empty could indicate a different problem.

Hopefully, all it needs is a good cleaning to get any dried up lube cleaned out of it. A light oiling with the proper oil and it should do it's part on the skeet course.

Jeff
Old July 31, 2007, 12:15 PM   #5
Trout Hunter

It opens fine when empty..... only time there is a problem is when there is a shell in it. Guy at the course told me its worth more if I hang it on the wall and leave it alone. I think Gramps would want me to shoot it. I never intend to sell it, and have a 3 month old nephew that will probably end up with it. I want to ensure that it gets to him in working order when hes a bit older..... What should I pay for a smith to go over it? ANyone know a good one in Maine?? Or even Southern NH?

Thanks
Old July 31, 2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Zombie Steve

I can't comment on the gun, but congrats on starting to shoot clays! Tons of fun! It will put the hook in you soon enough and you'll start spending all of your money on shotgun stuff.
12 out of 50 isn't bad for never having done it before. My two points of advice are: keep your head on the stock (people tend to lift off the stock to track a clay), and get consistent in your stance.
Enjoy!
Old July 31, 2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

short of anything being damaged...

lots of these old guns just plain old got gummed up... I highly recommend a good solvent type cleaning of the action ( the firing pins / springs could just be gummed up )... ca't tell you how many old shot guns you see sitting around, proped in a corner, stock to the floor, barrel up... sitting this way allows any excess oil to drain to the lowest point, most often to the firing pin mechanism...

we have several old Damaskus barreled & newer ( old family heirlooms ) that will never get shot again... but we cherish them all greatly... some, like you mentioned, where what my wife 1st learned to shoot with...
Old August 2, 2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Trout Hunter

Good news.... the local store has a smith and can take alook at it for me. I also found a place on the net that has or makes firing pins for my gun. I am pretty excited!!! I hope to get it to the shop this weekend and have an answer next week some time as to wether or not I can shoot it or retire it......

Meantime I'll be using my Rem 1100 on Sunday to shoot 5 stand sporting clays again....... Just what I didn't need, a new hobby.
Old August 13, 2007, 10:39 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I understand

Shooting your Grandfather's gun is a sign of love and respect, a different, and I feel a closer bond to the past than just hanging it on the wall or leaving it in the back of the safe all the time.

I have my Grandfather's shotgun, an Ithaca double 12, sold new (and with custom order features) in 1909. The gun has fluid steel barrels, and so is safe with smokeless powder. I do shoot it a couple of times a year (usually), but only with lighter loads, 3 or 3 1/4 dram equivalent (trap or dove loads). I have shot it with 3 3/4 loads in the past, and the gun will take them, but I have no desire to stress the gun, I have others for the heavy work.

Older hammerless doubles can feel very stiff opening, even if not gummed up, some guns are stiff cocking, but the most likely thing with yours is something is either broken or stuck. Check the ammo you used as well. It could be too much for the old gun.
Old August 22, 2007, 08:15 PM   #10
BlkHawk73

Maine or southern NH huh? Where ya located and who you bringin' it to?