The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1
optilink

colt series 80 fail to feed

Looking for some suggestions to fix a broken colt. Just bought this gun used a couple of days ago. I have 3 clips for it and they all do the same thing. If I load more than 4 rounds in any of the mags the slide will not close. The slide pushes the bullet down and the round hangs up on the bottom of the barrel. If I load three rounds or less in any of the mags, the guns feeds correctly.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old January 21, 2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Almost certainly magazine or ammo related.

First, try a different brand/type of ammo.

Second, disassemble the magazines and insure they are clean, and the springs are assembled properly.

Next, try a known good magazine.

Since this is a used gun, God knows what someone may have done to the magazines, OR whether the magazines were any good to start with.
Remember, it's not unusual for people to "dump" bad or cheap magazines with a trade-in.

If necessary, buy or borrow a brand name magazine like a Wilson or Colt factory mag.

MOST times, the problem is bad magazines, or ammo the gun just doesn't "like".

Also, try replacing the recoil spring with a FACTORY STRENGTH spring.
Old January 21, 2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Tom2

Mags

I agree, it is probably the mags, especially if you are running ball ammo thru it. Or have you used ball ammo? Do the mags say Colt on them?
Old January 22, 2006, 10:21 AM   #4
optilink

All three mags are colt mags. The springs are installed correctly, however not sure if they are the original springs. I will try some different ammo. I am using fmj reloads that work in other guns but maybe this gun does not like them. I will post here after I try some factory ammo. Thanks for the replies.
Old January 22, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Thud

I'll try with a new mag. Seems the walls of the mag are bent outwards. Greetings, THUD.-
Old January 22, 2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Pointer

Make sure the slide is not binding... clean and lubed?

Magazine springs are tight when new or Not very used... Load them and keep them in that state all the time...

I have a used gun and used magazines BUT the factory mags have had very little use by comparison to the aftermarket mags.

The gun may be "used" but not all that used...

Often a light polishing of the underside of the magazine "lips", along with a little lube, will make a dramatic difference... polishing/rubbing compound for about 10 minutes of work under each lip.
Old January 22, 2006, 08:15 PM   #7
optilink

I seem to agree with the post from thud. The magazine lips do seem to be flared out slightly when the magzine is fully loaded.The mags just don't seem to be holding the bullets at the proper angle when I put more than 4 rounds in. I will try some factory ammo first though and repost here during the week.Failed to mention in the original post that this is a 38 super, so mags are probably a little harder to come by.
Old January 22, 2006, 10:01 PM   #8
rocket12

make sure the mags are clean,remove spring and follower and clean the inside of mag.
Old January 22, 2006, 10:44 PM   #9
kart racer

I was having a ftrb problem w/my nrm commander,heres the problem

Old January 25, 2006, 09:49 PM   #10
Harry Bonar

series 80

Dear Shooter:
The 1911 package is the ONLY one in 9MM that I mill the frame for a ramped bbl! At Novaks, we never milled a single stack for 45ACP, ramped barrels - we had feeding problems with the single stack with a ramped bbl!
However, we had excellent success with the 9MM with a ramped bbl and I readilly milled frames for the single stack 9MM!
I also converted the firing pin safeties on the 80 series 1911 (I hate firing pin safeties)!
What you might do is look at the feed ramp area on your pistol and make sure the ramp is not "dimpled", - if it's a lightweight, do not try to polish that feed ramp - it's anodized. I have on lightweights inserted a steel "feed ramp" in them. But, if your feed ramp looks O.K., or if it's steel then you can polish it (don't change the angle) with some 240 grit and then use Brownells grey on a polishing bob till you can see your face in it.
Also, the barrel could have some (very little) throating done, the chamber polished and some new Wilson/Rogers mags and, I think, this will solve your problem.
I would need to see this pistol to be sure - but I agree with the others that it may just be your magazines!
I hope this helps!
Harry B.
Old January 27, 2006, 12:11 PM   #11
optilink

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I found out that this was a modified pistol and the receiver will not work with the slide and barrel that came with the gun.Luckily it was a local purchase and the gun shop took the gun back. So now I start over looking for a lightly used but not abused 38 super 1911.