The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2000, 02:50 PM   #1
Trigger Jerk

I was just curious...how many of us are members of a local shooting club?

Are you a member of a National Cowboy action club, like SASS, WASA, or NCOWS?

If you feel like it, tell why you did or did not join.
Old January 7, 2000, 03:06 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy TJ,

I'm member of Cherokee Gun Club in Gainesville,GA. This is the home club of the Cherokee Cowboys CAS club,of which I am a member. The Shootout at Mule Camp is held at Cherokee Gun Club and sponsored by the Cherokee Cowboys. I also belong to Doc Holliday's Immortals,a CAS club south of Atlanta that hosts the GA State CAS Championship. I joined SASS before joining any of the above. Of course,I'm also an NRA member.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 7, 2000, 08:37 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

I belong to Bluegrass Pistol Team which formed TEAM ULTRA DOT and took first place in Bullseye at Camp Perry Nationals. I am SASS, NRA, IDPA member. I am SASS Territorial Governor and Treasurer for Fox Bend Peacemakers (Lexington). I am member of Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild (Louisville). I am member of Hooten Old Town, also cowboy (McKee). Hooten Old Town is applying for SASS affiliation. This Year 2000, my club will host the FIRST SASS KENTUCKY STATE MATCH and the FIRST KENTUCKY IDPA State Match. And now our IPSC club has changed to a three gun match format. So I shot my first Three Gun Match and will probably join IPSC now. Oh yeah, I bought an Over and Under Beretta Silver Pigeon. I joined our Sporting Clays Club. Oh, and I am on Board of Directors and Treasurer of our main 2500 member club- Blue Grass Sportsmens League.
Old January 8, 2000, 11:15 PM   #4
Angel Diamond

I am a member of 4 different cowboy clubs as well as SASS. As a member of The Cherokee Cowboys and Doc Holliday's Immortals I have the privilege of shooting with our forum moderator. I am also a member of The Lonesome Valley Regulators who shoot in Macon,GA and The Wartrace Regulators in Wartrace Tn.

Angel Diamond
Old January 8, 2000, 11:37 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Them Wartrace Regulators is tough. Shot it out with them at a match in Western Kentucky. The Wartrace group took BEST COSTUME, BEST TRADITIONAL CLASS, and BEST WOMANS CLASS. We got smoked but good. Nicest bunch of folks you would want to beat you.
Old January 9, 2000, 02:10 AM   #6
Bud Helms

Bill,

You're invited to come on down to the Fort Valley Gun Club (Fort Valley, GA) and join us for our Buffalo Stakes match we have the third Sat of each month.

We shoot steel at 50, 100, 150 and 200. Then we have what we call the Quigley bucket shoot after the timed fire events. It's a hanging 9 x 9 plate at 200.

Angel Diamond, you too. Bring all the rifle shooters.

Maybe you guys and gals could give us a little CAS demo??

Sensop

PS: 'Scuse me Trigger Jerk. I just couldn't resist issuing the invite. I'm not a CAS shooter ... yet.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old January 9, 2000, 05:12 AM   #7
Ned Roundtree

That's lots of fun. Right now without a long distance rifle. I had a Marlin 336 in 38-55, but didn't like it. Today I'm going to McKee , Kentucky. Long Distance there is 380 , 400, 410, and 420 yard shot. You have to hit the kill zone of a large metal buffalo and a flag pops up. They do long distance after the regular cowboy match. Mostly 45-70s.
Old January 9, 2000, 09:33 AM   #8
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Sensop,

Thanks for the invite,but the Cherokee Cowboys hold their monthly match on the third Saturday of each month. Cherokee Gun Club hosts a long range silhouette match on the second Sat. of the month. We shoot at 165,175,200,and 225 yards with single shot hammered rifles-Sharps and Highwalls and such-and lever action rifles. Come up next month if you get a wild hair!

If you want to get a good look at some Cowboy shooting the Lonesome Valley Regulators shoot near Warner Robins on the first Sunday of the month.

Bellicose Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old January 9, 2000, 06:17 PM   #9
Bud Helms

Thanks for the LVR link ... I've been looking for it.

Also, thanks for the invite. I'm still resighting a new load ... 'might not be ready for our match this month. However, I'll make it a point to keep that date in the future. The Flint River Rusty Rifles been threatening to travel some.

Lessee ... Kentucky ... that'd call for loading the BIG wagon and takin' the good horses. But, I have a lot of unused rear sight (at the top). 420 yds sounds awful interesting. Crossed sticks?

My .38-55 is on a Wickliffe copy of the Stevens 44 1/2. I see the need for a .45-70, but first I'm gonna try some 335 gr Lyman .376 bullets I heard about.

Do you guys require the use of black powder or Pyrodex?

Sensop

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited January 09, 2000).]
Old January 10, 2000, 09:36 AM   #10
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Sensop,

We allow smokeless as well as BP or Pyrodex. The chicken silhouttes at 165 yds. are shot offhand,and the rest of the targets are shot off cross sticks.

Hope to see you there!

Bellicose Bill
Old January 12, 2000, 12:49 PM   #11
Trigger Jerk

Since I started this thread, I'd better pony up...

I'm a NRA member, SASS member, USPSA member, Pres and member of my local shooting range (the Palouse Practical Shooters), and a member of the Northwest Shadow Riders of Lewiston ID, a CAS club of which I helped start. I also shoot with the Rattlesnake Rangers in central WA state.

I'm glad to see most people belong to several organizations...It's good for the sport and good for private ownership.