The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 21, 2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Hawainpanda

automatic pistols?

anyone know what's the name of them? can they be bought? thanks
Old June 21, 2005, 05:37 PM   #2
CarbineCaleb

I think you want the Full Auto forum here... but even if you can buy one where you are, I don't expect a full auto pistol is a good first firearm.
Old June 21, 2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Hawainpanda

ah, no, I'm not interested in buying it as my first gun, just wondered about it and how it worked, yeah, I just looked at the full auto forum and I see the glock mod. Is an automatic pistol illegal in the U.S.?
Old June 21, 2005, 06:07 PM   #4
CarbineCaleb

There are both state and federal laws, the former of course, varying by location. I believe that machine guns and automatic weapons are legal at some level in most, if not all states. But access to them is certainly more restricted than it is for other classes of firearms. Check your state agencies for detailed info.
Old June 21, 2005, 07:19 PM   #5
jvlip3

Automatic weapons are Class 3 weapons under federal law. Check with the BATF for paperwork and fees and expect to pay alot. In Connecticut it is illegal to own a semi auto AR-15(M-16) but it is legal to own the machinegun version because it is regulated by Federal law not State law.
Old June 21, 2005, 07:43 PM   #6
Hawainpanda

wait, I was just reviewing the federal laws....is there any restrictions on this? I mean if you glock was older than 1994, than shouldn't this be ok?
Old June 22, 2005, 07:47 AM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
wait, I was just reviewing the federal laws....is there any restrictions on this? I mean if you glock was older than 1994, than shouldn't this be ok?
No.

The AWB of 1994 had nothing to do with automatic weapons, despite what the bubbleheads on the evening news told you.

The three laws concerning automatic weapons are:
1) The National Firearms Act of 1934, which mandated the transfer tax and registration of automatic weapons.
2) The Gun Control Act of 1968, which made it illegal for civilians to purchase any automatic weapon imported after that date.
3) The Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986, which made it illegal for civilians to purchase any automatic weapon made after that date, imported or domestic.

There are a very few transferrable automatic pistols on the market, but their scarcity tends to command stratospheric prices: One hears rumors of transferrable 93R's going for $35,000 and suchlike...
Old June 22, 2005, 01:06 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I have fired a Mauser Schnellfeuer and its Astra copy (both with shoulder stocks) as well as a stocked M1911A1 converted to full automatic fire, and several other FA pistols.

IMHO, they are useless. The .45 in particular is totally uncontrollable, even with the stock. I have no idea why anyone would want one as a practical gun, although transferrable ones have considerable collector value, especially today.

Jim
Old June 22, 2005, 02:21 PM   #9
Hawainpanda

yeah, I can see how they prob aren't very reliable weapons. in anycase, they do seem very neat
Old June 22, 2005, 03:23 PM   #10
BCannell

Reliability isn't the problem. A fully automatic pistol is as reliable as a similar semi-automatic one. Accuracy is what's going to get you. Some fully automatic weapons with standard pistol appearance are:

Glock 18
Beretta 93R (3 shot burst, actually)
An unnamed variant of the CZ-75B pistol
H&K VP 70M (3 shot burst with the stock attached)

Of these, I believe that only the Glock 18 is still manufactured.
Old June 22, 2005, 03:38 PM   #11
Hawainpanda

ah, I meant reliable as in accuracy (sorry, didn't clarify) even then, I can't think of any real life situations where an auto pistol would come in handy.
Old June 23, 2005, 04:51 AM   #12
Buzzkill

I saw a glock 18 on mail call . That looked like a blast . He was perforating some watermelons .

The acuracy was gone to the dogs though.

It would be real handy if your house was breached by a horde of blood succking watermelons

Thanks
Bob
Old June 23, 2005, 11:41 AM   #13
Hawainpanda

well, I was reading somewhere, that full auto pistols were handy for special forces and airforce pilots. For some reason I doubt that there really is much pratical use of a full auto pistol, unless you could control it wellenough to only shoot in bursts...you trade alittle accuracy for lot more firepower...hmmmm
Old July 2, 2005, 05:52 PM   #14
adolphuscusins

Stechkin

The Russian-made Stechkin APS is an incredible gun. They came into their own shorting after WW2 and are still used by Spetsnaz teams in Russia and several other Eastern countries. They fire 3 shot burt, semi, and full, but they have also been widely converted to an only semi model. However, getting one in the US would get you ten years in prison since the gun hasn't been approved for import. sad
Old July 4, 2005, 06:49 AM   #15
max popenker

adolphuscusins, APS Stechkin has NO 3-round burst mode, only semi and full-auto. believe me, i shot it

here are few real-life automatic pistols;
Glock 18 (Austria)
Type 80 (PR China)
CZ-75 Automatic (Czech republic)
Mauser C96 Schnellfeuer (Germany, pre-WW2)
Beretta 93R (Italy)
Stechkin APS (Russia)
Stechkin APB (Russia)
Ots-33 (Russia)

This list is not entirely complete, but almost is - just add copuple of Spanish design (Star MD, Astra 902), older Beretta 951A... and you're almost done.
Old August 2, 2005, 11:57 PM   #16
wardog

I've had the opportunity to fire a full auto Glock. It was a hoot! I shot it with the little shoulder stock attached and a 33 round mag. Also got to shoot a MAC 11 in .380. It'll dump the mag before the first shell casing hits the ground. 1600 RPM, Incredible!

Go to www.machineguntours.com to see videos of the full auto Glock and much more.
Old August 3, 2005, 07:41 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Tamara,

"The Firearm Owner's Protection Act of 1986, which made it illegal for civilians to purchase any automatic weapon made after that date, imported or domestic."

That is not true. What the law did was close machinegun registration to individuals ("civilians"), but any machinegun registered prior to that time can be purchased on a Form 4 with payment of $200 tax by an individual (after checkout by BATFE and FBI). Naturally, the lack of new transferrable guns and the demand has driven prices on registered transferrable guns sky high.

Jim
Old August 7, 2005, 12:30 PM   #18
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Mr. Keenan,

Quote:
That is not true.
Since the registry was closed in 1986, how can any "automatic weapon made after that date, imported or domestic" (and, ipso facto, a "post sample") be available for non-licensee purchase?
Old September 8, 2005, 12:33 PM   #19
3 weelin geezer

You cant buy a post 86 model. Unless you happen to be a purchasing agent for the government buying it for 'the government'. (military, le agency, etc.) But then you are not actually buying it for a specific person rather an idea (an agency, an office, a team or whatever) to do a job with it.