The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 27, 2002, 01:33 AM   #1
nifman

Shoulder holster for 3 inch Kimber

Anyone have any thoughts or experence with a shoulder holster for a Kimber ULTRA CDP. I am thinking about one of the Galco rigs.
I tryed one with my 649 Smith and it felt real good.
Thanks
Old February 27, 2002, 11:22 AM   #2
PaP

I have several Galco shoulder rigs for various handguns. They are a comfortable good quality product. My only problem is that for me, shoulder carry is rarely appropriate.
Old February 27, 2002, 12:00 PM   #3
Kevinch

I purchased a LNIB Galco Jackass rig for my Ultra CDP from an ad posted here, or over at The 1911 Forum - can't remember which.

Overall, I like it. It is comfortable, conceals well, & as a bonus will also carry my 5" Classic Stainless if I choose to.

One thing I am not crazy about: the off side mag carrier is not adjustable for short, Officer's sized mags. If you look at the mag carrier for the Miami Classic or SS II, the straps that fold under the mag & snap to the outside body of the carrier will have two snaps. It allows the straps to be shortened for a short mag. While it's not a big issue (didn't stop me from buying one) & the mags don't rattle around or anything, I thought is was one feature of the Jackass that could be improved by borrowing from the newer MC & SS systems.

I'll also agree with nifman: I seldom use a shoulder holster. I would wager that there are more shoulder holsters sitting in drawers & hanging in closets waiting for "the right opportunity" to be used than there are people using them! They look cool & can be comfortable - the better designed ones are, anyway. But unless you always wear some type of outer garment that effectively conceals the rig & looks natural & feels comfortable in any environment you find yourself in, or you don't have to worry about exposing your weapon, they can become a burdon. I speak from the experiance of trying to look natural & remove a winter coat, then remove my shoulder rig, then hide it in the car & replace my jacket while in the driver's seat of my Subaru...
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old February 27, 2002, 01:52 PM   #4
Kevinch

double tap
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old February 27, 2002, 06:01 PM   #5
J Scott

What Kevinch said...

For the 1911 user, I like the idea that all 3 of my 1911's fit perfectly.

I have found that this rig for me is restricted to cooler months.
Where a jacket or vest is appropriate.

I picked up one used for 85 bucks. I suggest that you try the used market first.

I do like this holster, but for me a good IWB holster is hard to beat.

J Scott