The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 3, 2013, 12:33 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

I need a safe

I'd like a gun safe for long guns. This would be an overflow gun safe since my current safe is full. I can't get as many guns in it as they advertised.

Something to hold maybe five long guns would be nice. I dislike electronic pads so I'd like something mechanical.

Recommendations?

thanx
Old January 3, 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
geetarman

I would probably buy more safe than I thought I would need. Those things ( guns ) have a knack for reproducing in the dark. First thing 'ya know, it's time to go shopping again.

I just bought a Fort Knox safe with an S and G combo lock. I don't like the electronic locks.

Mine holds a few more than five and my son now has the older Fort Knox safe.

Both are made in the USA and have worked fine for me. I might put a nite-lite in mine to keep the shenanigans down

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 3, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Do a search on this forum for member a1abdj. He's a locksmith who specializes in safes. His posts will give you plenty of insights.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Adirondack

Not sure how much you'd like to spend but Sturdy Safe makes a really nice gun safe that I'm sure you'd be pleased with. If you give them a call, the actual cost is usually lower than their online price.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/model2419.htm
Old January 8, 2013, 12:34 AM   #5
PH/CIB

In my safe I use the top shelf for my handguns.

Below the top shelf I took out all of the internal racks and with all my rifles and shotguns with gun socks on them to keep them from getting scratched, I stack them half with barrels up and half with barrels down.

You can get up to about 30 long guns in a safe this way and my safe is a standard size safe, there are problems if you want to get a rifle from the back of the safe you have to take out most of the rifles, and most of my high caliber rifles have the red dot scopes and regular rifle scopes taken off with quick detachable mounts like LaRue. It is more convenient just to buy a second safe but you will be suprised at how many firearms you can get into a safe this way.
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old January 8, 2013, 12:53 AM   #6
RamItOne

Best video about safes I've seen

It's long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 8, 2013, 10:14 AM   #7
CS86

great video
Old January 12, 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
mxsailor803

Just watched the video and all I can say is, I just got schooled! The guy brought up some very good points and information I didn't know. Watch it people!!!
Old January 13, 2013, 02:10 AM   #9
LRChops

My Browning Pro Steel has the electronic pad and I do not like it at all! The electronic pads are convinient, but if there is a fire, they will melt! IF someone breaks in your home they can tear it off the safe and then you cannot get into your safe. The batteries die, and if you don't have another one on hand, you aint gettin in your safe!

I am ****** that I didn't get it switched out at the time of purchase. My wife liked it!

Are they easy to switch out to a dial?
Old January 13, 2013, 10:00 PM   #10
a1abdj

Quote:
The electronic pads are convinient, but if there is a fire, they will melt! IF someone breaks in your home they can tear it off the safe and then you cannot get into your safe. The batteries die, and if you don't have another one on hand, you aint gettin in your safe!
Dials will also melt in fires, and are easily torn off by burglars. At least you don't have to worry about the batteries though

Quote:
Are they easy to switch out to a dial?
They can be switched.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:38 PM   #11
FlaAR15

A1abdj, I saw many of your posts here and joined specifically to get your advice. I just picked up an Amsec 6030 safe with the dial lock from an acquaintance for $900. He won this safe in a raffle and it has not been used at all. I have two questions for you, first of all, did I get as good of a deal as I think I did? This seems to a quality safe and well worth the $900. Second question is he says this safe still has the lock disabled and the combination is not yet set. How do I go about getting that set and active? Is that something I can do? I appreciate your help and value your advice, thanks.

Edit to add- he claims the lock is set to floor model mode. I do not know this guy real well myself but he does work for a friend of mine that I trust. My friend vouches for him so in a round about way I do trust him. I was looking at buying a Patriot safe but had a horrible experience trying to purchase it, seems they do not mind telling what I perceived as lies to customers and I even experienced their marketing director calling me to act like a child and scolding me because I questioned their honesty. He actually told me I was not "allowed" to purchase their product before the call was over. I will never deal with such an unprofessional company. That made me laugh a bit.

Last edited by FlaAR15; January 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:04 AM   #12
a1abdj

Thanks for joining the forum. There are only a few forums that I frequent for the information and quality of the other members, and this is one of them. Please stick around for the other information available here...it's a great place.

AMSEC has made several safes with the 6030 numerical designation. Do you know which letters preceed those numbers?

AMSEC usually sends their safes with a combination already set. If one was not included, it can usually be recovered from AMSEC. If the combination is set to any sort of default, it would be 50. However, do not prepare the safe for use until you know whether this is the case or not. It is a lot easier to figure out the combination when the door is open than when it's closed.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:49 PM   #13
FlaAR15

It is a TF6030. I picked it up from him today and my local locksmith set the combo for me for $20.00. Pretty pleased with this safe, it has the door organizer in it and seems to be well built. Really glad now that my purchase from Patriot Safes went badly. Of course I don't know much about these but from what I have read and experienced so far I think I got just as good if not better safe for less money. Please tell me if this is the case or just my wishful thinking.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Nasty

Any safe is better than no safe.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:41 AM   #15
LOUD

ok i was faced with this situation a while back, I have found that fortess safes out of Idaho to be the folks that I deal with .I will avoid like the plauge any safe with an electronic key pad , if you talk to any locksmith and they will tell you . The longest life ive ever heard of is 8 years but it usually malfunctions way before that. Then it costs about $300 to get it drilled open and youre left with a safe you cant relock or have to purchase a new mechanism for ( what junk!) Buy American!..........LOUD