The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1
indy1919

Picked up a Uberti Schofield have a few questions

Picked up a second hand Navy Arms Uberti Scofield in 45 Colt today, Had been wanting one for a bit. The main thing holding me back was all the Tale of Woe and Misfortune out there. But Picked it up with a money back return if there was a problem.

Placed 221 rounds in her this afternoon and not a single malfunction as well as she was a pretty accurate gun..

So I did feel good about it. The only 2 issues

First I see there does seem to be some overall finish wear on the front of the cylinder which does not bother me unless there is some deeper safety issue behind it. ???

And then on a less bother some issue the only way I could get all the spent shell to eject is to give the gun a pretty firm break, and bending the open cylinder at a bit of a down ward or Side ways angle. If I broke the gun with the back cylinder facing up there would always be a case or two that would need a second break. Is that common???.. I can almost swear that I did hear the voices of Schofield, Smith & Wesson in my ear at each ejection failure laughing and saying "See this is why we used the shorter shell case"

I love the gun so far, But I like shooting the SAA better.. But I like loading the Schofield better

Old April 26, 2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Hawg

From what I understand they won't shoot bp very well because they removed the gas ring in order to make the cylinder long enough for .45 Colt cartridges.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:42 PM   #3
radom

The cases are longer than the extrator so you where lucky. Hold it sideways or with the rear of the cylinder tilted below verticle or it can hang a case up under the extractor star and then you are in for some real fun getting it out of there. And due to the design they do get pretty nasty on the cylinder fronts.
Old April 27, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's not finish wear, it's burned powder/lead deposition.
It can be removed.

The guns won't do well with BP, as noted. They're not made to shoot it, I wouldn't bother if you get the urge.

As far as the ejection goes, you just have to find a method & angle that works for you.
Denis
Old April 30, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5
indy1919

Much thanks for all the info, I did clean off the lead & Powder residue.. Thanks.. I do not think I have ever had a gun do that before.. Again many thanks..
Old May 8, 2012, 04:06 PM   #6
sewerman

i will share a possible defect that hopefully may now be corrected.

do not hold the trigger when breaking down to eject the spent cartridges.

there is a small hair spring in the receiver which will eventually break if the trigger is held down repeatedly during the break-down eject procedure.

my friend owned one several years ago, loved the balance but tired of having to replace the spring and I guess couldn't break the habit of holding the trigger down while breaking the receiver.

good luck. as I stated hopefully the company has fixed this weakness.

cheers,
S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old May 8, 2012, 08:37 PM   #7
indy1919

Do not think I would have tried that... but will avoid it now.....

JUst a further comment, For me I was kinda tired of shooting the thing after my little test,, The gun just did not feel balanced and easy to shoot.. Now loading it was wonderful..

Just to make sure I took out my SAA of the same size and after 250 rounds...
If I had not run out of money for bullets... I could have shot more.. The SAA is much more fun to shoot.. Now reloading is a bit of a pain
Old May 9, 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've owned an ASM & worked with three Ubertis.
The guns are neat, but they don't feel right. I really did try to like 'em.
I've stuck to my Colts & Rugers.
Denis
Old May 9, 2012, 08:02 PM   #9
sltm1

Unfortunately I gotta agree with the "uncomfortable" opinion. I bought 2 Uberti's because I thought they were slicker than greased owl snot in apperance. Three's a lot of truth to the statement, "Never buy a horse for it's color".
Old May 10, 2012, 06:52 PM   #10
indy1919

Does any one shoot the 45 schofield rounds,, Does the gun handle better in its original configuration??????... I realize this is a a touchy feelly question ...
Old May 10, 2012, 09:52 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

I have, also reloaded for the caliber a bit.
Just a light-loaded .45.
Less recoil, less power.
Denis