The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1
cooldog61593

shotgun repair.

i have and old 16 gauge shotgun that belonged to my grandfather. it is a single shot with a 3/4 inch chamber. it is a Springfield that was manufactured by J. Stevens arms company in Chicopee falls USA. recently i took it out of its case to clean it and noticed something odd, when i pull the trigger the hammer doesn't hit the firing pin inside. so basically i shoot and the gun does nothing.
I was wondering if this can be fixed, and if so how much would it cost?

i don't know much about this gun but it hasn't been fired in about 8 years.

Thanks for the help, Robert
Old November 18, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Mtn Biker

A lot of those Stevens/Savage shotguns used a "Rebounding Hammer". The hammer smacks the firing pin with centrifugal force and then springs back away from the firing pin at rest. It happens so fast you can not see it.
Try this:
With the hammer down, pull the trigger to the rear and hold it and see if you can push the hammer forward against the pin. If you can it is working normally.
You will not be able to push if forward without pulling the trigger to the rear.
If it is a break open design you can also cock the hammer with the gun open and put your finger over the chamber side of the firing pin hole and when you pull the trigger you should feel the firing pin poke against your finger.

VL
Old November 19, 2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Doyle

The first thing I would suspect is the firing pin is gunked up. Take the stock completely off and the forearm too. What you then have left is pure metal. Use non-chloronated brake cleaner to spray the crap out of everything in the action including the firing pin holes. Work the hammer/trigger while spraying. Blow it dry with compressed air and then wipe it down with a VERY little oil (a cleaning patch works just fine). Put a tiny drop of oil on the pivot points of the moving parts and into each firing pin hole. Put it back together and see how it works.
Old November 19, 2009, 09:19 AM   #4
oneounceload

After the cleaning mentioned above, take a piece of wood, a painter's stick or similar will do - with the action cocked and the barrel open, place the stick against the firing pin hole and pull the trigger - see if you get an indent. If not, your culprit is there - either a new spring or firing pin. Both SHOULD be rather inexpensive to purchase
Old November 19, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

Many years ago we had a local sport shop that would take in trades. The firing pin test was a 3-4 in piece of dowel rod dropped into the muzzle. The clerk pulled the trigger, if the dowel came out they would talk, if not they handed the gun back to you and said no thanks!