The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2009, 07:15 PM   #1
robog

870 super mag forend frustration

New to the forum so please go easy on me.

I have a question for any 870 armorers out there.

I recently puchased an 870 Express Super Mag with a 28" VR Remchoke barrel for Texas dove hunting.

No complaints here... works fine.

I decided to convert it to an HD gun and purchased an 18.5" smoothbore RS barrel and added the 6 shell tacstar side saddle with the scattergun technologies 2 shot extended tube. I drilled out and polished the dimples in the magazine tube and everything is fine in this regard.

Here is the problem. I have purchased 2 different forends, the first a hogue rubber molded, then a Speedfeed LE forend. Both are too short once installed.

I purchased the forend nut tool and tightened the nut securely. Once reassembled- when I work the action to eject a spent round, a new round is not released from the mag tube.

After close inspection I realized the action was not traveling all the way back and releasing the new round.

So, putting 2+2 together I installed a "spacer" to add length to the forend stock. This solved the problem and the weapon functions as designed.

The spacer was a rubber O ring I slid over the tube to give the forend more "length". This is not an acceptable solution for obvious reasons.

Why are the forend's coming up short on my super mag?

I see on MidwayUSA's site that the magnum forend assembly (with rails) and the magnum forend assembly are different part numbers.

Is a super mag forend different from a Magnum forend (870) ???

Aren't after market 870 forend's a standard size?

Does someone make a "spacer" that will allow my super mag to function as designed?

Thanks in advance.

Any advice appreciated.
Old November 14, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Most aftermarket fore ends were designed to fit the standard Wingmaster, Police, or Express, NOT the newer Super Magnum.

The Super is different due to the longer shell.
I haven't seen any spacers, but you can probably have something made by most any machine shop.

Better still, contact Hogue and Speedfeed and ask if they have a fix.
Emails are free.
Old November 14, 2009, 11:35 PM   #3
robog

870 super mag forend frustration

Update.

Thanks for the response.

I just went out to the shop to confirm my original post information.

First I swapped to the original 28" VR Remchoke barrel : same difficulty.

Then I removed the extended mag tube : same difficulty.

Then I removed the plastic speedfeed LE forend completely and reassembled with NO plastic forend at all. Works perfect.

So- it is definitely an issue with the fit of the speedfeed LE plastic forend preventing adequate travel of the action back to the point where the new round is released from the mag tube.

You're right... emails are cheap. I'll call \ email Speedfeed on Monday.

Thanks again
Old November 16, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4
robog

fixed- Problem solved

I used a dremel tool to trim some excess plastic on the receiver end of the Hogue rubber molded forend.

Once done I installed it on my 870 and saw that my travel had increased and I was hearing that distinct metal snap sound 870 are so famous for.

It functions perfect now.

I guess by design, each forend will be a little different. The speedfeed LE forend will not allow the same trim process, you would have to actually trim 1/4 " of the length of the forend to make it work.

If the pump action does not achieve the desired travel.. you have problems.

The modified Hogue does not contact the 6 round tacstar side saddle by the way.

I'm happy.

Thanks