The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2009, 03:07 AM   #1
Wallabing

If you were to fire an 870 without it's barrelnut/magazine cap....

What would happen?

I'm pondering the design on the Remington 870. Does the barrel nut/magazine cap contain the full force of the recoil when the gun is shot? I think it would seem that it would put an immense amount of stress on the magazine tube of the 870, or am I wrong?
Old July 9, 2009, 03:18 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
The year is 2003, Iowa duck season. Out on the marsh me and my father set up a blind to wait. Since it is overlapping with all migratory birds, goose is fair game. As such, we are both loaded with 3 inch magnum BBB loads with full chokes. My dad, thinking he's the smart guy, unscrews his cap just a little to make that 3rd shell fit without having to have one in the chamber. (His shotgun is a Remington 870 express synthetic) After a bit we see a small group of ducks, I think they were teals, coming in low and headed right for us. Just as they get up to our blind, which was on top of the highest point in the marsh, we both stand up and take aim. I think it was a little early cause they had time to turn and we both missed. Unfortunately, the cap on my dads gun flew off into the tall grass after the first shot. Spring, cap, plug, and all. Never did find the cap but we found the spring and the plug. Always leave that cap on, it's there for a reason.
Old July 9, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Wallabing

A very original and interesting question! The answer is simple; NO it would put no more pressure on the magazine tube than if the magazine cap was tight against the barrel band.

The lockup points and path of recoil energy for the 870 are the locking block at the top of the breech bolt (it locks the bolt to the barrel) and action bar lock holding the breech bolt carrier and hence the for end assembly in the forward (firing) position. Most all of the energy transfer from the ignition of a shell is captured and transferred thru these points to the receiver then the stock and then your shoulder. There is some energy transferred forward that of the shot and its cup traveling down the barrel, how ever this is slight and if the barrel is properly locked up it exits the barrel with the projectile. WHAT the magazine cap does DO is to hold the barrel against the receiver stops so the that the locking block can engage the locking lug in the barrel extension and the magazine cap retains the magazine retainer, spring, follower, and shells in the mag tube.

SO, what would happen if you did as you suggest? My thoughts are

1st you would be searching a yard or two down range for the internals of you magazine tube that ejected forward, good luck finding the retainer.

2nd most likely the barrel would move forward upon chambering a shell to the point where the locking block would not engage the locking lug, this condition would automatically lock the firing pin in place and your 870 would not fire (one of the three internal SAFETY features built into the design by Remington). Even if the barrel and breech bolt locked up, the gun would fire as normal.

Most everyone has fired a 870 with the mag cap loose, it is common and does no damage to the scattergun. Some of my time as a trainer of the fine art of “fighting scatterguns” was spend reminding folks to “check the Nut” during long firing sessions and it is also a very good idea and one of my check list items when picking up a 870.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old July 9, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4
zippy13

Thanks for the info, Scattergun Bob, you're always a great source of technical knowledge and practical experience. I know several stick gun target shooters who check their mag nut as they leave each shooting station. For them, it's become a reflex action that's part of their subconscious shooting routine.
Old July 9, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Wallabing

Wow, thanks for the info bob

I was just wondering if a scenario were to present itself as to if the magazine cap somehow did fail, would the operator possibly get hurt in any way?
Old July 9, 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

Wallabing

Quote:
I was just wondering if a scenario were to present itself as to if the magazine cap somehow did fail, would the operator possibly get hurt in any way?
As stated, likley no real damage to the gun or operator. I still would not like to be the man to test it

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old July 9, 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Anticonn

Quote:
As stated, likley no real damage to the gun or operator. I still would not like to be the man to test it
Bonus damage to your target though, as it's hit with the shot, nut, spring, retainer, follower, an unfired shell or two, and the barrel
Old July 10, 2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Nnobby45

New a fellow at the trap range whose favorite trick (well, one of 'em) was to chamber a round, unscrew the cap, remove the bbl. and fire the round still held in place by the extractor.

I went poof, and the shot dribbled out for 20 ft. or so without ever buring the powder.

O.K., what's this shooting Teal with with 3" BBB shot?
Old July 11, 2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedWacker
My dad, thinking he's the smart guy, unscrews his cap just a little to make that 3rd shell fit without having to have one in the chamber. (His shotgun is a Remington 870 express synthetic)
Umm... how legal is that? I've always been under the impression that the three-shell limit referred to the capacity of the shotgun, including the chamber...
Old July 11, 2009, 03:47 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Vanya, You are 100% correct... total capacity is 3! 2 in the tube, one in the pipe. To be able to unscrew the cap so the 3rd 3 inch round will fit means the gun is illegal PERIOD! Any game warden worth his salt will chamber 3 2 3/4 inch shells... confiscate the illegal weapon and start writing tickets.... One of which is federal in nature!
Lemme know how that works out for ya....
Brent
Old July 11, 2009, 08:54 PM   #11
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
You are 100% correct... total capacity is 3! 2 in the tube, one in the pipe. To be able to unscrew the cap so the 3rd 3 inch round will fit means the gun is illegal PERIOD! Any game warden worth his salt will chamber 3 2 3/4 inch shells... confiscate the illegal weapon and start writing tickets.... One of which is federal in nature!
A point well noted.
Install duck plug, back off cap... duhh!

Hey, Brent, I read in the news about the FL snake problem. Are you fixin to switch your bounty hunts from pigs to pythons?
Old July 11, 2009, 09:00 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Naw, too far. Like 700 miles too far. But the guy who made the breeding of my 2 best catch dogs,does go after them as well as hogs, possums, dillars and nonvenomous snakes. He has caught several 8+ footers. One he gave to Jr. the day we picked up the girls at 6 weeks old. The snake issue is only in extreme south florida due to absolutely no risk of hard frost.

Brent