The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
gary6.5

Need Refreshing on Reloading

Its been a long time since I have reloaded and running out of deer loads, so I've broke out all my "stuff" and giving it a go.
My first problem which I don't know if its a problem but reloading some 7-30 Waters and after resizing I notice none of my brass stretched to the point I need to trim. Book states trim to 2.030
Most mine (lot of 50) are around the 2.025 give or take a few thousands.
Is this any reason to worry on the shorter lengths? (All rounds was shot in a T/C, and fire formed, their second reloading)
Also I'll be working up some .270 Winchester for my wife and she was shooting the Winchester "Supreme", Black Box, 130 gr. CXP2. This round has been very good to her on the kills. Can anyone recommend a bullet similar to what Winchester uses on this Supreme load. Barnes, Nosler, Speer, etc.
Appreciate any help,
Gary6.5
Old October 6, 2008, 08:00 PM   #2
wncchester

If your brass is already under the trim lenght, don't trim it. You have no problem.
Old October 7, 2008, 04:00 AM   #3
butta9999

A few thou wont make a difference in hunting loads. But as wnnchester said dont trim anymore if they are under. Be sure to keep count on how many times you trim your brass. Usually after 4 times its a good idea to discard the cases, because too much brass has flowed forward and you risk head seperations.

Nosler accubond would be a good choice for the .270. A friend of mine uses Woodleigh 150gr weldcore with good results. The nosler partition would be another good choice too.

The whole thing with reloading is trying this with that and seeing what works best.

Good luck, Butta.....
Old October 7, 2008, 06:22 AM   #4
mkg

gary6.5

The bullet used in the Winchester ammo is a Nosler CT ( Combined Technologies ) ballistic silver tip. For the 270 (.277) they are available in 130 and 150 grains.

If you prefer the same bullet is available in a non moly coated version.

Mike

Last edited by mkg; October 7, 2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: clarification / additional info