The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 5, 2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Jim Dandy

Muzzleloaders really ARE therapy!

Someone opined on THR that shooting black powder firearms was therapeutic. After a rather hectic week, I'd have to say that was understating things a little bit. I took my Lyman GPR out today, popped a few caps, burned some powder, and slung a little lead down range. It sure beat the hell out of punching a clock.

FYI: that's a 20-shot group in the picture.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:09 PM   #2
RoaringBull

My son immediately noticed that you shoot a left-handed percussion. He loves his.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Jim Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringBull
My son immediately noticed that you shoot a left-handed percussion. He loves his.
This is my second left-handed GPR; I regret that I sold my first. I have this one outfitted with a Lyman 57 SML rear sight and a 17 AEU front. Super accurate with 0.490" round balls and a 100-grain equivalent charge of Pyrodex RS Select. (It also shoots well with a similar charge of 777.)

My main deer rig is a left-handed T/C Foxridge Outfitters rifle in .50 caliber.

Last edited by Jim Dandy; April 5, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old April 5, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Pahoo

Jim Dandy

Excellent group and I take it that you were shooting 100 grains of Black Powder. I have a simular set up only the peep sight is on a T.C. Pennsylvania hunter in 31" barrel with 1 in 66" twist. Had to teach a class today of all women and thought for sure I'd get in trouble by "Mis-Speaking." Made it through just fine with only one slip of the toungue. One of the ladies had never shot anything before today and got her to shoot one of our 50's. She was so happy that she got teary eyed. That kind of took me back a bit as I have never seen this before. Shot about 50 rounds in all and even got some to load and shoot. One of the ladies just got back from Iraq and boy could she shoot. This too was therapeutic.
Old April 5, 2008, 11:48 PM   #5
Jim Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Excellent group and I take it that you were shooting 100 grains of Black Powder.
No, I set the G-O can out there because I wanted some pictures of that for an ad I placed. I was using Pyrodex RS Select and lest anyone think I'm Deadeye Dick, I was shooting at 25 yards trying to get my sights dialed in.

I did, however, manage to ring a gong set up at 100 yards after I got the sights adjusted.

I'm planning on heading out again tomorrow.