The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 5, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
mkmmcd

30-40 Krag

An elderly lady in my church has an old 30-40 Krag someone has offered to buy from her. She asked if I could research a price for her. It seems to be in good shape for the age. Here are the particulars:

Model 1898
Serial #: 171108

I sure would appreciate any help as to where I can find some information for her. Thank you.
Old March 5, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Jim Watson

That's not many particulars.

Is it in original unaltered military issue configuration?
Is it in very good to excellent condition (NRA definition)?

If so, many hundreds of dollars.

If altered or "sporterized" or if in rough condition, a few hundreds of dollars.

Pictures will help.
Old March 5, 2007, 09:32 PM   #3
cuate

Take a look at Auction Arms.com , that will give you a pretty good description of condition and going prices. I have purchased a couple of
30-40 Krag Carbines there. As I remember in the $400 range, likely now a bit more costly.
Old March 6, 2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Tom2

I have not seen any kind of Krag in any condition near 400, at the gunshows, unless it was sporterized. Saw one sporterized one and I think it was about that, but it was not a top notch conversion. I have seen sporters that were really nice and properly done, and garage work, so that will affect it alot. Most of the ones still in mil. configuration that I see nowadays are priced like 1903 series Springfields at least. Not that they get that, but I would hate to see a little old lady get ripped by some guy who wants it for big profits.