The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1
jhngist

Mod. 19 Bent Frame

I have a chance to buy a 4" M19 pretty cheap. Problem is it was apparently run over by a car or something, and the frame is bent to the point where the barrel is about 1/16" out of plumb to the right. The gun is otherwise in pretty good condition. Still functions properly, etc. Is this fixable? Is it economically feasible, or is this just a big paperweight now?
Old January 9, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
hIPSHOT33

Not worth fooling with . If the barrel is bent it can be fixed but if the fraim is bent ,don't mess with it .But thats just me talking .
Old January 9, 2006, 01:56 PM   #3
guntotin_fool

I would tell them it is unsafe and not worth anything, take it for free and send it to S&W and see what they say who knows they may havea jig to fix it
Old January 9, 2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

A bent or sprung frame is a paper weight.

You often get revolver frames damaged by people trying to change the barrel with improper tooling.

THE classic is locking the barrel in a set of wooden blocks, shoving a hammer handle through the frame window, and twisting the frame off.
This is responsible for more bent, sprung, or cracked frames and ruined guns than anything else.

In short, there's no practical way to reliably straighten a bent frame, so manufactures will only replace them, not even attempt a fix.

Attempts to field repair a bent frame invariably produce a gun that won't shoot accurately, and is never in proper alignment.
Old January 9, 2006, 09:56 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not much different from trying to straighten the frame on a wrecked car. Yes, it can be done. Yes, it has been done. And from time to time you can see cars going down the road crabwise to prove it.

Jim
Old January 11, 2006, 06:20 PM   #6
jhngist

Thanks

Thanks for all your advice, folks. Sounds unanimous to me. Believe I'll leave this one alone.

John
Old February 4, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7
leckie66

you can very carefully disassemble it and sell the parts on e bay or auction arms describeing the situation,,those parts aer valueable to someone