The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 12, 2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Zach02

noob IDPA

hey there, i have never really shot a pistol that much before i've shot a bereta, and multiple taurus revolvers. but my dad was watching my movements last weekend while i was playing an airsoft battle, he said i got the moves and the stance to do IDPA. i like the feel of the Desert Eagle airsoft replica i've got but i think the bereta is a better choice to start with,and i dont want to do the revolver IDPA, i'd like to do the semiauto. i also like the mp5 airsoft replica i have and wonder if there is a competion shot that required rifle and handgun combat. also what are some training tips, and if IDPA is something i would be suited for. thanks, also if u use abbriviations please spell them out for me. thanks
Old January 13, 2006, 12:22 AM   #2
glockopop

The best choice for IDPA would be your Beretta. The only thing that's really important is safety. Go to idpa.com and get all the info you need including where you can go in your area to shoot. If you have any more questions after that, post them here and we'll let you know.

And by the way--"psychological"
Old January 13, 2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Zach02

re-reply

hey, thanks for answering, but is there a competion shooting thats not so much defensive but like on an begginer swat or tacticle level? and do they have competion for bigger guns, such as, when i get the funding im gonna invest in a Mp5. is there a competion shooting for that kind of weaponry? thanks.
Old January 14, 2006, 05:16 AM   #4
Lycanthrope

Well, tactical training and competition are two entirely different things. Competition focuses on speed and that sometimes clashes with good tactics. The competition will simply make you better at shooting from awkward positions and improve your gun handling at speed.

USPSA offers 3 gun competition, and the some clubs offer "subgun" matches if you look around. www.uzitalk.com might be helpful to that search.