The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 17, 2002, 12:03 PM   #1
C.R.Sam

Agressive Ecoterrorist or nuther hunter?

Interesting findings.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...31.51827360602

Sam
Old September 17, 2002, 02:53 PM   #2
diaperchanger

Probably the "Friends of the Earth".
Old September 17, 2002, 04:58 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Maybe he was not wearing hunter orange and someone made a "sound Shot" on him.
Old September 18, 2002, 09:01 PM   #4
yankytrash

It's very possible this "Iceman" trespassed near a van down by a river in rural Virginia, because I hear there's a guy down there who's gettin pretty mean with a bow he just bought.
Old September 22, 2002, 10:32 AM   #5
WYO

Southla1, he was probably still hunting on on an either sex day, the morning you can start hunting deer with dogs, huh? Downright scary, even with orange. (I'm originally from LA.)
Old September 22, 2002, 01:06 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Musta been another hunter. They couldn't even spell ecoterrorism in those days. Probably hadn't even learned "environment" or "ecology" or "Green Party".

, Art
Old September 22, 2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Fred Hansen

Shot by an E.L.F.!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old September 22, 2002, 05:45 PM   #8
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

"Downright scary, even with orange"

Sure is with or without dogs on public land................private lease is OK (if now one trespasses...............course then THEY are fair game LOL)

What part of LA?
Old September 22, 2002, 08:21 PM   #9
WYO

Southla1, I'm originally from N.O., but I fell in with a bunch of friends from all over the state. I have always hunted public land, including the very busy Honey Island swamp and the wide open timber company land in north LA in the days before leases. (Sikes, Olla area) Still hunting never gave me the jitters, but the dog season did, even on leases. I did hunt as a guest with a friend on a lease in the Acthafayla basin once--even with the dogs, it was very regulated and safe (if you stayed away from the card table), but that was the not the norm. Best regards, WYO
Old September 23, 2002, 08:23 PM   #10
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Right on WYO.............I have seen some very DANGEROUS things at bouree (like $5 and bouree for the pot) at some camps during deer season . I kind of shy away from those. Two bits and a buck were more to my liking!

I have hunted public lands in the middle part of the state (Dewey Willis WMA .......... it used to be called Saline WMA, and Thistlewait) gave me the jitters. Atakkpas in the basin is not quite as bad ................ most greenhorns wont venture there. Have a lease in the Tunica Hills and we still run the dogs maybe 3-4 times a year...............no jitters there we all know how to do it.........no greenhorns allowed unless we take them on a stand with us till they get the importance of the rules. course all of us got a lot older too and cooking is as big a deal as the hunting now! Still love the sound of those (take your choice) Beagles, Blueticks, Walkers, Black and Tans Etc. echoing in the hills or the basin. Kinda a musical sound rolling through the basin. Beagles on swamp rabbits in the basin sound just as good too!
Old September 24, 2002, 09:00 AM   #11
WYO

Southla1, I just prefer to walk around. The only time I didn't mind dogs was when I'd be out still hunting early in the morning (before the dog hunters show up) and a lost dog that had been out all night was wandering around the area. Just personal preference. Take care.