The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2002, 01:11 PM   #1
scram

m1 carbine extraction problems

I have an M1 Carbine with extraction problems. This is one of the IAI remanufactured M1 Carbines with new receiver and mostly GI parts. Almost every-other round either stove-pipes or isn't extracted from the chamber. I've tried multiple brands of ammo, different magazines, none of these things help.

Sometimes the spent case gets stuck in the chamber and won't extract. It seems to be jammed in their pretty good as I have to knock out the case with cleaning rod.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this or something I can try to fix this? Swap out extractor or bolt? Etc?
Old September 13, 2002, 07:33 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

#1 fix would be to send it back to the factory for a fix. This is usually the best option for a new gun. Attempting a fix yourself will void the warrenty, then you'll be out money.

Other than that:
Clean the chamber THOROUGHLY, with a .38 caliber brush.

Inspect the chamber for rust, pitting, or rings.

Clean the extractor and ejector, and check for proper operation.
Especially check the extractor for proper spring tension, and free movement. The ejector should move freely in and out, and have a stiff spring tension.

Check the extractor and ejector for broken or chipped areas. The extractor lip may not be properly formed, and if so, won't extract the case.

Check the gas piston for free operation.

Check the operating slide for free operation.

Check the bolt for free operation.

If you have a gas piston wrench, and know how to disassemble the gas cylinder properly, you can check the gas port into the barrel to sure it isn't clogged or defective.

I once had an Iver Johnson that failed to extract and stovepiped. The extractor lip was defective, and replacement fixed it.
However, see #1 above.
Old September 13, 2002, 08:33 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

If cases have to be driven out with a cleaning rod, the problem is not in the gas system.

I agree that with a new gun, returning it to the factory or designated repair facility is the best bet.

First make sure the chamber is completely clean, without any dirt, crud, or any other material. You will have to do this with a small mirron with the carbine.

If this doesn't work, I would try polishing the chamber. You can do this a couple of ways, but here is one way.

Field strip the carbine, to the barrelled action. Then insert a handleless cleaning rod with a slotted tip from the muzzle. When the slotted tip shows in the receiver, insert one end of a strip of 600 grit emery cloth/paper in the tip and wrap it around the tip emery side out. This takes a bit of trial and error, but make the emery paper so it will fit fairly tightly in the chamber, then pull the rod back enough to get the emery in the chamber. Don't let it go in far enough to touch the rifling. Then turn the rod with a power drill on low speed. Move it in and out just enough to polish the chamber but not enough to wear the shoulder or touch the rifling.

Usually, a few seconds of this is enough.

Jim