The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1
rofranks

What More do I need to start loading 357

college student on a budget looking xmas presents

what more do i need than
press kit
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/40367-1.html
tumbler
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/46532-1.html

I know I need components. I have several hundred rounds of brass I have collected from puchasing ammo new that I can reuse. What do I need as far as cheap practice ammo, SD ammo, primers, powder etc. If you can approximate price and or link
Old November 12, 2011, 11:43 AM   #2
overkill0084

You will likely find the Lee Scale that comes with the kit somewhat of a PITA. It's serviceable, just a bit combersome to use.
Additional must haves in my opinion:
1. Loading data. I would recommend starting with the Lyman 49th edition. Good general use book with a lot of info for beginners. If you plan on shooting a particular brand of bullets, I would recommend that manufacturer's book as well. If cast bullets are planned, The Lyman Cast Bullet handbook is a keeper.
2. A caliper of some sort.

I may well be missing something.

If you haven't already puchased/recieved the kit pictured, I would recommend a small step up to the Lee Classic Turret. I'm fairly certain there is a similar kit for it as well. More durable design and the spent primers are handled better.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old November 12, 2011, 01:12 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Dies. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/498...um-357-maximum

Calipers. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/822...tainless-steel

A better scale. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658...grain-capacity

Case length gauge and shellholder for the cutter and stud. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/318...der-357-magnum

Loading block. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/767...nd-plastic-red

Manual. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/217...nual-softcover

Chronograph. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/306...er-chronograph

Probably other stuff I'm forgetting.
Old November 12, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Kempf's Gun Shop has a kit that contains everything you need except a scale.

Dies - 4-die deluxe carbide set
Press- the (superior to the Deluxe press) Lee Classic Turret
Primer dispenser (avoid handling primers with your fingers)
Auto-Disk Powder Measure
a half-dozen ammo boxes

I got along for years with just a single stage press, scale, lee dippers and a set of dies plus extras like a pair of loading blocks. I did not get calipers, bullet puller, chamfer tool or accessories like those until I found a need for them.

Unsolicited advice: If you cannot afford the Classic Turret, I would go for one of the two "Breech Lock" single stage presses Lee offers rather than settle for the Deluxe Turret. The aluminum Challenger Breechlock is less expensive than the cast iron Classic single stage.

I wrote on another forum how to build a "Budget beginning loading bench that you will never outgrow". Here is the core of the article.

I load for handgun only; 5 calibers, about 100-400 rounds per session and fewer than 5,000 rounds a year. I stow my gear in toolboxes when not in use. If this comes close to describing your situation, you might like to read on.

35 years after starting, I found I outgrew some gear and overbought elsewhere. So, I cleaned house. I emptied my bench and populated it with the best equipment I could find precisely fitting my loading needs. I could have saved a lot of experimentation and waste if I had known back then what I know now (about handloading and about myself).

Informed by my experience reconstituting my loading bench, I compiled a list of the barest essentials that would allow a novice loader to load well and which would still be gratifying in 30 years. (In my opinion and somewhat matching my style of shooting and loading.)

I think it makes an ideal shopping list for the handloader just starting out. I hope you do, too.

Press, scale, dies, a way to measure powder and a work surface are all you need, really. Everything else just makes it easier or faster.

$17 ABC's of Reloading. Ok, it's not really equipment, but tools without knowledge is just dead weight, right?
$10 Loading Data. The "One book/One Caliber" pamphlets are $10 each and are LOADED (get it?) with loading data.
$0 Loading manuals. They cost, but I didn't want to skew the budget; you do need at least a couple. Check the local library if money is tight.
$0 Eye protection. No cost, because you DO already have a pair of shooting glasses, DON'T YOU!?
$85 Press, Lee Classic Turret (Chosen because Lee makes the only turret presses that auto-advances at the discretion of the operator and the Classic is superior to the Deluxe for several features.)
$33 Dies, carbide. Lee because it includes a shell holder, a plastic dipper for powder and the "powder through" design.
$5 Work surface. Mount your press on a plank of scrap 2x8 and secure it to a (padded) coffee table.
$0 Dropcloth to catch any spilled powder or lost primers (dead or live). Use an old sheet. Quieter than plastic, less static and drapes better.
$150 plus shipping At this point, you can reload, but are limited in flexibility and speed.
$8 Lee Scoops/Dippers. Cheaper than any powder dispenser/measure and repeatability/cosistency is excellent.
$3 Powder funnel. Lee's funnel fits right in the their "powder through" die.
$161 plus shipping At this point, you are minimally equipped to load well. Not too convenient, but not handicapped to the point of terminal frustration, either.
$22 Lee Safety Prime. You can use your fingers, but this is so much better. Fits on the Lee Press.
$21 Scale, any brand. Lee's, at $21 is cheapest. You can do without, with the full set of Lee Dippers, but better to weigh. For peace of mind if nothing else.
$204 plus shipping At this level of investment, you are decently equipped
$33 Lee Auto-Disk powder dispenser/measure. It mounts atop Lee's "Powder through" die. With this, you may not need the funnel or dippers.
$50 Loading Bench. A folding workbench works fine for me. You can get a kit or build your own, too.
$287 plus shipping Now you are well-equipped as most reloaders, except for convenience accessories or tools you will use only occasionally.

Other stuff:
$20 Bullet puller I never used one for my first 20 years of loading.
$30 Calipers I had none for 30 years. Now that I do, I find uses.
$50 Tumbler Never had one. Got one now. My brass is prettier. Shoots the same.
$10 Loading blocks ($5, if you use, use two). For batch loading. Buy, or make with a plank and a drill.
$25 Powder Trickler - handy if you weigh each powder charge.

$34 misc accessories & tools, (e.g. chamfer tool)
$60 Difference to get a more user-friendly scale than the Lee
$0 Turret and Dies for 38/357 (included with basic setup)
$46 Turret and Dies for 45/454
$46 Turret and Dies for 44
$46 Turret and Dies for 45 ACP
$46 Turret and Dies for 9mm
$700 plus shipping To duplicate my entire current loading bench with all new stuff, misc accessories and tools and I would not be in the least inconvenienced in my loading endeavors.

There are many accessories that add convenience of functionality, but are so highly optional they do not belong on this "essentials" list, or belong down near the end. Besides, if I included them all, the list would be endless.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; November 12, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old November 12, 2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Twinsig

Ditto Classic Turret

Start real slow and gain some experience, no need in blowing-up a $500 gun (in your hand) with a 15cent round.
Old November 12, 2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Adamantium

I am a believer is starting small. Really everything needed to start reloading safely is a press (with some way of priming brass), dies, powder scale and a single round of factory ammunition (for setting the correct length). Lots of other things can help but those are the basics. Even a reloading manual can be checked out from the local library.

If your budget has money left over things like Tumblers, priming tools, bullet pullers and calipers are nice but not needed. I reloaded for years without a tumbler and although my brass was dark brown from cleaning it with soap/water everything still worked. I take the barrel out of my gun (or just use your wheel) as a case gauge.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:35 PM   #7
rofranks

A lot of stuff posted in here seems optional or stuff that I would buy after I graduate (may2012). Im currently on a strict college student budget and therefore am after the bare minimum to start so I can save money at range.

Turret press kit
dies
scale comes with kit
etc
Old November 17, 2011, 02:23 PM   #8
rclark

Yep, most is optional. You do have the basics. I too until loading .45ACP never needed calipers for example. That's after ~30 years of reloading.... Just crimp into the crimp groove and good to go. Never had a tumbler either for a few years. Wiping down the brass with a paper towel is usually good enough.

Press, dies, scale, powder measure, a way to prime the cases (hand primer for example), a reloading manual or two and you are good to go. The rest can come 'later'. The kit specified above will definitely get you started.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 17, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Don't worry about a tumbler, until some time down the road.
With revolver brass it isn't going to do much for you. You can save some money by wiping the brass off by hand.
If it's really dirty... you can wash the brass in dish soap and water.

I really can't think of any other "bare essentials" you might need.
Old November 17, 2011, 02:52 PM   #10
spacecoast

Good grief, this guy's in college and on a budget. Some of you really go off the deep end.

The powder manufacturers (Hodgdon, Alliant and Accurate) all have perfectly good load data online and it's FREE.

In addition to a press and a tumbler, you will need the .38 special/.357 die set (about $35-40). A bullet puller (about $15) is nice to have but not necessary. You can use the dipper in the die set, but you may need to borrow a scale to calibrate it with different powders. A full set of Lee dippers (about $10) is nice to have. Consumables include bullets, powder, primers and tumbling media (walnut shells). I use Titegroup for mild .357 loads, Unique for midrange loads and H110 for the heavy stuff, but you don't need to go there to get started. .357 is typically higher velocity, so I use jacketed or plated bullets (Berry's) to minimize leading. Cheap ($19 per thousand) Tula small pistol primers work fine for .357.

A cheap $10 caliper from Harbor Freight is also handy for measuring OAL of the round.

By the way, a mounted press is nice but I have used a hand press ($35 kit which includes the ram priming adapter) to load 14K rounds in the last two years. I can keep it in my desk drawer.
Old November 17, 2011, 03:04 PM   #11
dyl

I don't mean to hijack but a response prompted another question that will hopefully help the OP too.

mrawesome mentioned a case length gauge and cutter. Do 357 mag cases stretch much? I thought that was something you'd have to check in .223 and other rifle calibers but pretty much never in most pistol calibers.
Old November 17, 2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

More advice - on Quality and regret

Quote:
rofranks
A lot of stuff posted in here seems optional or stuff that I would buy after I graduate (may2012). Im currently on a strict college student budget and therefore am after the bare minimum to start so I can save money at range.

Turret press kit
dies
scale comes with kit
etc
Bare minimum (but one cut above the Lee Loader or Load-All that uses a mallet to drive the process) would be a Single stage press and a set of Lee dies. Lee dies come with a powder scoop that can be used instead of a scale (but your powder choices and power levels are limited unless you have the powder scoop assortment or, the ideal, a scale).

Press, Dies, a way to mete powder. Eye protection, loading manuals are not PHYSICALLY necessary, but foolish to load without them. Eye protection especially when working with primers. I have NEVER had one go off on me, but it only takes once to ruin your day.

But I recommend not going TOO cheap. The Lee Loader press will do for .357 Mag, but the Classic Breechlock is far superior and the $40 extra is well worth it. If you want a turret press, the Deluxe turret does come in a kit with all you need (and then some) except dies. But for a little more, the Classic Turret is a far superior press. Kempf's gun shop sells a kit that has dies included and (except for 6 MTM ammo boxes) has nothing excess to your needs. It lacks a scale. But you can pick up a Lee scale for $25 or around $10-$15 on the used market. The Lee Safety Scale is as accurate as any made today, but is limited to only 110 grains (plenty for powder, but not for weighing most bullets) and is a challenge to read. Most other balance beam scales are easier to read than the Lee. But they are more than twice the price.

My advice: Do not scrimp on quality for your Press or Dies. You invariably lose money trading up later. If you can't afford a scale, get the Lee Powder Dippers/Scoops or the Lee Safety Scale and upgrade later.

Buying quality tools only hurts once, when you pay. Buying too cheap hurts everytime you use the things.

Lost Sheep

Here are some web sites that should provide good reading.

So get a large mug of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, whatever you keep on hand when you read and think and read through these.

Read "The ABC's of Reloading", an excellent tome on the general processes of reloading.

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheFiringLine's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST "
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheHighRoad.com's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST"
thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=238214

The first draft of my "10 Advices..." is on page 2 of this thread, about halfway down.
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22344

"Budget Beginning bench you will never outgrow for the novice handloader" was informed by my recent (July 2010) repopulation of my loading bench. It is what I would have done 35 years ago if I had known then what I know now.
rugerforum.net/reloading/29385-budget-beginning-bench-you-will-never-outgrow-novice-handloader.html

I have a thread "To Kit or Not to Kit?" that describes different philosophies of buying or assembling a kit one piece at a time.
rugerforum.net/reloading/33660-kit-not-kit.html

rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Minimalist minimal (the seventh post down)
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107332

Thread entitled "Newby needs help."
thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
My post 11 is entitled "Here's my reloading setup, which I think you might want to model" November 21, 2010)
My post 13 is "10 Advices for the novice handloader" November 21, 2010)

Thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439810

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448410
Old November 17, 2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Lost Sheep

Case stretch?

Quote:
dyl
I don't mean to hijack but a response prompted another question that will hopefully help the OP too.

mrawesome mentioned a case length gauge and cutter. Do 357 mag cases stretch much? I thought that was something you'd have to check in .223 and other rifle calibers but pretty much never in most pistol calibers.
No, they don't. But sometimes you can find variations in length in your collection of cases, especially if they are from different manufacturers. Not a lot, but you have to expect some, even from the same manufacturer. A mass production line is never going to be as highly controlled as you can be if you are willing.

If you want very consistent crimps, making sure the case length is the same is essential. But, since straight-walled cases don't stretch all that much, you will probably only ever have to trim them once in their lifetimes.

Lost Sheep
Old November 17, 2011, 06:09 PM   #14
dyl

ah thank you. Much appreciated. Hadn't ever thought that the brass wouldn't be uniform straight from the factory.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl
ah thank you. Much appreciated. Hadn't ever thought that the brass wouldn't be uniform straight from the factory.
It would be if factories were perfect.

You are welcome.

I have never found it to be very far off, but different factories (though all the major ones in this country subscribe to SAAMI standards) CAN have different quality controls in place and allow more, or less, variations to pass out their doors.

How tolerant you are of variations is up to you. "Perfectly Uniform" is nice, but achieving it is costly and somewhere in every question like this there is a point of diminshing returns where the benefit (uniform bullet pull, crimping, overall cartridge accuracy) is not worth the trouble.

I loaded for 30 years before I ever owned a caliper. I did not miss it. Factory product is uniform enough for most of my purposes. But no factory is perfect. I once got a batch of bullets that were oversized enough that after loading them in .357 cases, the cartridges would not chamber in my Dan Wesson (DW revolvers of that era had chambers a little on the small side of SAAMI.)

What I am saying is that numbers are exact. No physical object is. But as you have observed, mass production does come pretty close to precise.

Lost Sheep
Old November 19, 2011, 07:54 AM   #16
err.gray

Save yourself some money on a Tumbler till you are certain that reloading is your bag. I used a baby bottle nipple brush and a solution of dawn dishwashing detergent and vinegar for years,then i moved up to a small rock tumblerthat would handle about 50 357 cases. I finally did get myself a Frankford Arsenal case tumbler and will admit that i don't know how I ever got along without it.