The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 23, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
cajun47

lc9 or s&w shield?

i narrowed pocket 9mms to these two cause i like the double action triggers and manual safety.

im leaning towards the lc9 cause it weighs a little less and a video review of single stack pocket 9s said the lc9 was by far the most reliable but the shield wasn't included in the review.

is there a big difference in accuracy of the two?
Old March 23, 2013, 09:16 AM   #2
KyJim

I would not limit myself to one Internet opinion. Both have proven to be reliable. BTW here's a review of pocket 9s you might want to look at -- http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/11/0...sonal-defense/

Between the Roger and the Smith, get the one you want.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:22 AM   #3
leadchucker

Reliability issues are possible with either gun, but both makers have excellent customer service departments that have a proven track record of effectively dealing with problems. There are hordes of satisfied owners of both of these guns out there.

Accuracy on either gun is as good as the shooter. The long trigger pull on the LC9 affects accuracy for a lot of people, myself included. For that reason, I far and away prefer the Glock-like trigger on the Shield.

Good luck finding one though.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
redhologram

Personally I would go with the Shield. As someone mentioned, the trigger pull on it does it for me. As soon as I happen up on one I plan to pick one up myself.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Kevin_d77

Shield. Liked it so much, bought a second one.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6
khegglie

? What reliability issues with the Shield?? No probs with my .40 version so far.
Old March 23, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
RedNutInc

shield! True story: 3 guys go to range. 2 have the shield, the other has lc9. Shield guys shoot the targets well in nice groupings. Lc9 guy can barely hit target. guns are swapped. similar results from different guys shooting lc9. the lc9 has a long trigger which myself and another guy didn't like. our other friend just liked how the lc9 felt anddidn't want to wait for a shield. he wants to sell his lc9 now. I'm sure if he practiced he could master or get a trigger kit. but...here's the kicker... the lc9 guy also grabbed a sr1911... he took out a can at 25 yards on its first shot. so he can shoot...just not the lc9 very well...lol
Old March 23, 2013, 03:50 PM   #8
mrray13

Shield owner here and I gotta go with it. When I bought the Shield, I was shopping for an off duty carry for my wife who was just graduating her mandatory firearms training to start her law enforcement career. I looked at Kahr, Ruger, Kel-Tec, Sig and a few others. I was about to buy the Kahr when the salesman, a friend, pointed me toward the Shield. I haven't looked back. Best baby pistol I've owned, trigger, ergos, reliability, etc. Of course, a P3AT and a P9 were the only other small pistols I've ever had. The LC9 was nice, and while more refined, just felt like a fancy Kel-Tec.

As soon as we can find it, a second Shield will be joining the stable.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:05 PM   #9
ET.

I bought a Shield 40 because a friend bought an LC9 and I didn't care for the trigger pull. I am a Glock/M&P owner and I guess I've grown accustomed to their triggers. I am happy with my Shield. By the way, the friend just loves his LC9. As others have said, shoot them both and you will probably know which to buy.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Downeast

Had an LC9 and sold it & put the proceeds towards a Shield in 9mm.

I'd take the Shield hands down.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:42 PM   #11
dean1818

Shield 40..........

Awesome pistol

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old March 23, 2013, 08:09 PM   #12
pete2

Buy the one you like. The Shield has a much better trigger than the LC. The Shield is a heavier, larger gun. I have an LC and I like it, won't trade it for a Shield. I actually like to carry a 642 revolver because it is lighter than the LC so the Shield is out of the picture because of the weight. I don't have any trouble with the LC trigger but I shoot a lot of revolver and I'm used to the D/A trigger pull.
the 642 is only 3 oz. lighter than the LC but you can tell the difference in your pocket.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Mrgunsngear

Both are good guns but the Shield is much more 'shootable' in my opinion.

My Shield Review HD Video Link
Old March 24, 2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Nakanokalronin

Shield for sure. Another option soon to come out would be the XDS in 9mm since it has the same basic dimensions as the Shield. No manual safety, but the easy to depress grip safety blocks the sear passively.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:14 PM   #15
meanmachine1961

Used to own a LC9 but now carry the Shield in 9mm.
Old March 25, 2013, 04:40 PM   #16
xLPlushy

lc9 or s&w shield?

IMO the Shield is much more shooter friendly. Feels better in the hand, soft recoil, short smooth trigger. I have a 9mm Shield and an LCP and dad has an LC9. Shot the Shield and LC9 and a Taurus 709 Slim side by side. The Shield felt best to me and shot best as well. The LC9 second, but I couldn't hold a good group due to the long trigger pull. And the Taurus was horrible in all respects.

Shoot them and get what you like best.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Skans

The Shield is bigger and heavier than the LC9 - too much gun for me to carry. The LC9 fits in my front pocket. And, it's been completely reliable. That's what works for me.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:21 PM   #18
breakingcontact

Had an LC9, have a Shield. I find the Shield to be a much better gun.

BUT, if you are determined to pocket carry, the LC9 may be a better gun for you. Make sure it's reliable with whatever ammo you want to carry, mine was reliable, but only with defensive ammo, not multiple brands of target FMJ ammo.

So which is a better gun overall? The Shield.

What do I prefer? The Shield.

If I was going to pocket carry? I don't pocket carry.

If you want to pocket carry? LC9 (or LCP!)
Old March 26, 2013, 05:36 PM   #19
TxFlyFish

Hope this will help you decide. This is a small sample from those who purchased the FIRST BATCH of Shields from last year,

S&W Shield - first 100 rounds Initial Quality Survey
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485714
Old March 26, 2013, 05:54 PM   #20
breakingcontact

Re: lc9 or s&w shield?

They didn't release the product to determine the issues. It was quality from the start. I do recall some issues w the 40 version dropping the mags. My Shield has been 100% in every way.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:08 PM   #21
LockedBreech

If I had ever seen one in real life, I'd say the Shield. As much as I love Ruger products, the Shield seems to be an all-aces pistol. The only exception is if the LC9 feels significantly better in your hand and points more naturally for you.

I have had a wonderful experience with my LCP and my buddy with an M&P40 has had a great experience with it. You can't really go wrong.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:19 PM   #22
TxFlyFish

the shield is pretty accurate, and the recoil is comparable to midsize and some full size pistols. Both my friends and mine shields are able to hold sub 2inch groups at 7yds off hand and wer'e not that good either
Old March 26, 2013, 06:26 PM   #23
TAKtical

I wouldnt take an LC9 if someone gave it to me. The horrible LCI, the mag disconnect, the fact that you cant shoot +p. The shield is a much better gun in every way. If my LGS had them in stock Id buy two today. THE SHIELD IS TOO MUCH GUN FOR YOU TO CARRY????? What!? WHAT!? My wife carries a glock 19 and I carry a glock 17 or full size 1911 every day. I bet I could stack two shields side by side and still conceal it. When people say crazy things like this about concealing handguns, I almost want to see a picture of them in their everyday clothes. What do you wear every day? A wetsuit??? Anyway, sorry for the rant there. If it were my choice, I would choose the shield.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia

Last edited by TAKtical; March 26, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:53 PM   #24
L2R

owned both

both good guns.

didn't like the 1 1/2 trigger pull on lcp.

try them out for yourself.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:23 PM   #25
Justice06RR

I think its pretty obvious from everyone's post that the Shield is more preferred and incrementally better.

I have shot a friend's LC9 and hated it, and that's when compared to my Taurus 709!