The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2011, 12:15 AM   #1
dts686

7mm-08 Max Load Question

Hello, I've been reloading for 9mm, 38, and 357 magnum but I'm going to start reloading for 7m-08 soon. Using Hodgdon Hybrid 100V for 160 grain bullet the maximum load is as follows...

Grs Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
45.0 2,690 48,900 CUP

The SAAMI max pressure for this is 52,000 cup.

I know all the warnings to never go above a max load, but it seems to me like this load could go up a little. What do you experienced reloaders think?

Thank you very much,
David
Old November 16, 2011, 12:17 AM   #2
mrawesome22

It's a compressed load. That's probably all the more powder they could get stuffed into the case.
Old November 16, 2011, 11:13 AM   #3
AllenJ

mrawesome22 is correct but I'll add this: If I am working up a load and getting no signs of pressure at the max recommended charge, I'll go over it and feel safe doing so. I work up .3 grains at a time and once I get signs of pressure I back off. I've had some rifles that allowed me to go a grain and a half over the recommended max, and I have had rifles that would not let me get close to the max too.
Old November 16, 2011, 11:47 AM   #4
RevGeo

Just because they got 49,800 in a pressure barrel with that load doesn't mean that load will produce the same pressure in your rifle. It could be higher or lower. That's why we work up loads for our individual guns.

I've usually found the most accurate load to be somewhat under max. Not always, but usually.
Are you loading the 7mm-08 for hunting? If so, 100-150fps less is not going to amount to much, trajectory-wise or power-wise.

Bruce Hogdgon was an old friend of the family. He and my dad were both from Kansas and were reloading buddies. My dad passed on Bruce's offer to go in with him on the original purchase of the surplus powder that became H-4831 after WWII (I could'a been rich!).
Dad used to say that Bruce loved guys who always produced max loads because he sold more powder to them.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Max loads are for manuals, accuracy is for rifles.

Find a powder for which max data approaches max performance of your gun. No sense in shooting 223 performance in a 22-250, for example.

Next, work up a load using a method like Dan Newberry's OCW. Look for accuracy nodes. If you get to book max and don't find the accuracy you want, try a different bullet or powder or primer until you get near max performance and the accuracy you desire.

Chasing speed, purely for speed, can be very dangerous.
Old November 16, 2011, 01:44 PM   #6
GeauxTide

Pushing a 160 to almost 2700 in a 7-08 is stout.
Old November 19, 2011, 11:31 PM   #7
homesick

I am not sure how much more you can gain in vel / what is the reward for the risk of over loading?
Old November 20, 2011, 09:36 AM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Why so Heavy ?

When I think of the 7mm-08 , I don't think of 160 Gr. bullets . I think of the 7mm-08 as a sleek little non magnum speedster with bullets from 100 to 145 Gr. . If I felt compelled to shoot 160s , I must be hunting something bigger than deer, ergo I'd load them in the 7mm Rem Mag.. But hey that's just me . I have taken several Deer , including a couple of good sized ones with my 7-08 and Speer 145 Gr. Hot-Cores , it's all the bullet you need . They will yield that 2700 FPS that you mentioned , I doubt that you can get the 160s to even 2600 .
Old November 20, 2011, 10:18 AM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
...I know all the warnings to never go above a max load, but it seems to me like this load could go up a little. What do you experienced reloaders think?...
As many loading manuals state, you work up to the max load published, watching for pressure signs as you go. You should just assume that your gun is going to be safe using that load without work up to it. Also, a lot of us hand loaders would rather look for the most accurate load than focus on getting the highest velocity possible.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:06 AM   #10
confirmed shooter

not sure why you are trying to bump the speed on this very accurate round when your most accurate speed is down at the less than max load. around 2400 should be about right for the 160. confirmed shooter