The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 20, 2000, 05:21 PM   #1
Shin-Tao

I'm just curious. I picked up a .44 cal blackpowder revolver for some fun bottle shooting and now I'm wondering how effective it might be if I had to use it in an emergency. Any one have any idea what the stopping power of a .44 lead ball propelled by a Pyrodex pellet would be?
Old March 20, 2000, 07:59 PM   #2
zip

no idea as to the stoping power of it but they will go thru a sheet or more of plywood cleanly havenot had the chance or time to see what they will realy go thru but i have 4 of them two 7 1/2 bbl 51 navys and a 58 rem. with an 8 in bbl plus a little double bbl deringer all in 44(wich i use a 30 grain charge the same as what the pellets are in all of them ) they are a lot of fun but definetly not the best choice for a defenseve weapon

btw what kind did you get?

------------------
oneshotonekill

[This message has been edited by zip (edited March 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by zip (edited March 20, 2000).]
Old March 20, 2000, 10:57 PM   #3
Shin-Tao

I picked up the Uberti interpretation of the 1858 New Army Remington. I love how it balances and points. I picked it because of the top strap adding ridgidity.
I'm not going to use this for personle protection. I have modern hardware for that. I'm just curious as to what it would do to an assailant if I was in a situation in wich the 58 was all I had.
Old March 21, 2000, 12:21 AM   #4
Alex Johnson

I have shot most of the 44 caliber cap and ball revolvers such as the 1860, 1858, Dragoons and Walkers. I just finished shooting a Walker the other day and there was excellent penetration with a full charge of RS grade pyrodex on a 8" diameter pine log. As close as I can tell the balls I found after I split the log went in about six inches. This compared favorably with some relatively hot 45 Colt loads that I shot into the log at the same time with a Ruger revolver. As far as using one of these for a self defense arm, I could think of a lot better choices; however, I remember reading an article in Guns & Ammo about the ballistics of these black powder revolvers. In the article they claimed that a full charge, with a round ball, in an 1851 navy (36 caliber) had about the same energy as a medium .380 hollowpoint (I think they were talking about the Walther PPK). I don't remember what the medium range 44's were found to be likend too, but I think they were comparing the walker with a medium to hot 357 magnum (I've heard that the Walker is launching its ball at about 1200 fps with P pyrodex). I personally feel that with proper shot placement, any of the 44's would be adequite fight stoppers if it ever came to that. It's worth remembering that many gunfights were won, and lost, with these pistols. Wild Bill himself made quite a reputation for himself with a pair of 1851's and even when the 1873 peacemakers became available, he continued to carry these pistols so he must have felt pretty confident in there abilities. Nowdays when I carry I use a 1911, but the old stuff still fascinates me.
Old March 23, 2000, 12:00 AM   #5
Gunslinger

Excelent info Ned, I had something similar but could not rember the details you have.
Shin I know from reading your other post here you have other more modern guns at your disposal for personal defense. Therefore I know your question is for conversation only. Consider, if you will, that for over half a century these guns were used quite effectively for defense. I wouldn't want to be shot with one but then again I wouldn't want to rely on one to save my life either.
Put is this way; if one were forced to shoot someone with one of the old C&B they wouldn't come back and complain.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.